Nintendo Breaks Out the Game Boy Classics for 3DS Store

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Nintendo Breaks Out the Game Boy Classics for 3DS Store

Samus and Mario make a blast from the past with two classic Game Boy titles.

Gamers who believe that the 3DS library needs more quality titles are about to get a shot in the arm. Super Mario Land 2 and Metroid 2, two hit titles for the original Game Boy, will grace the system's eShop in the fourth quarter of 2011. So far, the games have only been confirmed for the European market.

The two games in questions are good choices for a re-release. Not only do both titles hold up remarkably well, but many younger gamers never got the chance to play them the first time around. Since no DS system can play original Game Boy games, this release represents the first time that modern gamers can experience these titles without having to track down used equipment. The games are a fitting choice for each series, according to the Official Nintendo Magazine (UK). The original Super Mario Land was an eShop launch title, and Metroid's 25th anniversary was earlier this month.

For those who missed the games the first time around, Super Mario Land 2 pits Mario against nemesis Wario (for the first time) and challenges him to collect six golden coins to save Mario Land. Metroid 2 is a pivotal part of the Metroid series, as it details Samus Aran's quest to eradicate every last Metroid following the events of the original game.

The first game in each series is already available for download through the eShop and Wii Virtual Console, respectively.

Source: Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29581/super-mario-land-2-and-metroid-2-coming-to-3ds-eshop/]

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
OOoh shit, gonna get my Bunnyhat and icebeam on.
..wait, was Bunnyhat Warioland? They need to release that too.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Nintnedo Breaks Out the Game Boy Classics for 3DS Store"
Mysterious new gamecompany get's sued for having a name that looks a lot like Ninten.... oh, wait :p

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I keep promising my friends that I'll get a 3DS when it gets some good new games. Nintendo seems to get the "good" down, now if it could only get the "new".

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh, god...

Come, Nintendo. let's sit down. Time to have a little talk that 'm sure you've heard of before.

Okay? The 3DS, it sucks.

Glad we got that out of the way. Not everything is bad news, though. Here's what you can do to fix your boo boo: Instead of releasing 234528137245 games to appease the fans, work on fixing the 3DS itself first.

Seriously! The 3DS has a couple of flaws that, while they're insignificant all together, they can stop someone from buying the system.
On top of that, the only good, original games (Not remakes) are not even out there. The closest thing we have to a game worth getting is Ocarina of Time. And guess what? I can still find it for two other cheaper systems and there's not that much of a difference.

Look, I don't have Nintendo. I know they tried to get their foot on the door first by fully tackling the 3D market. But...that's all. It's a DSi with 3D graphics. Sorry, Nintendo, but it seems people are not that impressed. With your poor selection of games for sale, it won't sell anyway.
I work at Gamestop and when I try to offer people the 3DS, they usually ask the difference between the cheaper yet older DSs and the 3DS. I simply say "This one's in 3D". Then they proceed to buy a DS lite or something. It's true! I know the 3DS has more gadgets and stuff...that would appeal to an older audience.
Most kids and families with small kids who go to the store usually don't download stuff into their system. So having a million games online means nothing to them because they prefer to buy an actual hard copy of the game at the store. And I think that's why people are not attracted to the 3DS yet.
Now, Nintendo, you're thinking of aiming this to a bigger audience. But guess what? Nintendo is more for like kids and families. Sorry but it's the truth; you carved that path yourself. And it's fine! The few good games are out there are truly good. I'm all up for keeping your rep clean and all but..you're just contradicting yourself. I don't know if I should buy the 3DS and risk being bored with it for a while until a good selection of games comes out or not buy it at all and get a DS or a PSP that has a much wider variety of games.

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
Since no DS system can play original Game Boy games, this release represents the first time that modern gamers can experience these titles without having to track down used equipment.
Well, the first time for modern game enthusiasts who exclusively enjoy their games via legitimate means.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I still maintain they need to improve the battery life on this damn thing before anyone cares about its online market and the games they're selling on it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Should have launched earlier like everything else.

But hey, better late than

wait, no, they fucked up pretty bad being late anyway

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Super Mario Land 2? Yes please.

Beautiful End said:
It's a DSi with 3D graphics.
You really need to do some research before you launch in into such a huge rant about how bad the 3DS is, because you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And you work at GameStop? Oh good lord. Here's hoping you either do the research or your boss fires you before you impart your inane ramblings of how the 3DS is just a DSi with 3D onto more unsuspecting customers.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Aaaaaand I still have those games, so no thanks.

Nice try Nintendo, but if you really want to get me to buy the 3DS why don't you give me a reason to buy it, like hell I don't know, releasing games that actually appeal to me and not doing blatant nostalgia pandering.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Is anyone else feeling slightly gipped that Metroid didn't get much for it's 25th anniversery? i mean Mario had Mario All-Stars, alright, they could have placed it on the Wii VC or something, or provided more than a history book and a soundtrack of songs and such or whatever....

...What does Metroid get...? it just gets Metroid 2...would have thought Metroid would have made a bigger bang, but whatever chance it had was overshadowed by Zelda's 25, Zelda has Link's Awakening DX released on the 3DShop, OoT 3D, Skyward Sword and even a free download of Four Swords for the eShop, a large reference within Mario 3D Land with a level oh and an ORCHESTRA.

Think Kirby is getting close to it's 20th....unsure of what sort of impact or promotion it would have, doubt it would have as much as Metroid's, then again, it has a lot more games prior to the Gamecube than what Metroid has...but they already released all of them on download services.

Sorry about the outburst, but still....you really have to think though, Metroid has had a short stick so far, wouldn't put it past Ninty to make an extremely large bang with Pokemon despite there being not much to celebrate about...then again even they have a large empire of merchandising with an anime, toys, games and a whole bunch of other stuff. :eek:

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
mjc0961 said:

Beautiful End said:
You really need to do some research before you launch in into such a huge rant about how bad the 3DS is, because you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And you work at GameStop? Oh good lord. Here's hoping you either do the research or your boss fires you before you impart your inane ramblings of how the 3DS is just a DSi with 3D onto more unsuspecting customers.
Well, that's always nice. Judging other with little background info! Boy, if you were a Gamestop employee, I'm sure your polite attitude would attract everyone! :D [/sarcasm]

Please do not tell me how good or bad I am as an employee. You don't know me. I know about the 3DS, I've played it (We have a demo at work, duh!) and that is why I can make such statement. It has design flaws (Screens overlap), the 3D feature isn't that amazing (again, just popping graphics), the battery dies just too fast and the 3D feature isn't recommended for some kids, which, again, just makes it a fancy DSi.

I see it unnecessary to talk to smartasses about the 3DS's pros and cons because we all know them already, especially here at The Escapist. Let's not pretend the system is perfect in every aspect: it has flaws. It had a rough start. It really doesn't offer something incredibly relevant in order to force customers to choose the more expensive 3DS over the cheaper DSi or even the DS Lite which plays GBA games. It's like 3D TVs; they're nice but you don't need to replace all your current TVs for a 3D one.
Yes, it has some good things and features. I personally love the shooting in-game where you take pictures of your friends and they serves as targets. But that's about it. With a weak list of released games and those flaws, it is not a surprise to see the 3DS is selling. I'm simply stating that instead on focusing on releasing games that might attract others, they should focus on fixing the system's problems. That's why it doesn't sell, not because of the games. Good games will come but for now, the system is not good enough to buy.

So please, be respectful if you expect me to be respectful in return. Ok? Thanks so much.

Raineheart

Mar 23, 2009
Beautiful End said:
mjc0961 said:

Beautiful End said:
Well, that's always nice. Judging other with little background info! Boy, if you were a Gamestop employee, I'm sure your polite attitude would attract everyone! :D [/sarcasm]

Please do not tell me how good or bad I am as an employee. You don't know me. I know about the 3DS, I've played it (We have a demo at work, duh!) and that is why I can make such statement. It has design flaws (Screens overlap), the 3D feature isn't that amazing (again, just popping graphics), the battery dies just too fast and the 3D feature isn't recommended for some kids, which, again, just makes it a fancy DSi.

I see it unnecessary to talk to smartasses about the 3DS's pros and cons because we all know them already, especially here at The Escapist. Let's not pretend the system is perfect in every aspect: it has flaws. It had a rough start. It really doesn't offer something incredibly relevant in order to force customers to choose the more expensive 3DS over the cheaper DSi or even the DS Lite which plays GBA games. It's like 3D TVs; they're nice but you don't need to replace all your current TVs for a 3D one.
Yes, it has some good things and features. I personally love the shooting in-game where you take pictures of your friends and they serves as targets. But that's about it. With a weak list of released games and those flaws, it is not a surprise to see the 3DS is selling. I'm simply stating that instead on focusing on releasing games that might attract others, they should focus on fixing the system's problems. That's why it doesn't sell, not because of the games. Good games will come but for now, the system is not good enough to buy.

So please, be respectful if you expect me to be respectful in return. Ok? Thanks so much.
That's still just your opinion.
I happen to like my 3DS. I didn't buy a DSi or a Nintendo DS, but I played them. the 3DS is different, but it's purely opinion on which one is better.

And anyway, it's too late to fix the system's problems. Nintendo is doing pretty much the only thing they really can do, business wise and market wise - expand their game selection an reduce the price.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Raineheart said:
Beautiful End said:
mjc0961 said:

Beautiful End said:

That's still just your opinion.
I happen to like my 3DS. I didn't buy a DSi or a Nintendo DS, but I played them. the 3DS is different, but it's purely opinion on which one is better.

And anyway, it's too late to fix the system's problems. Nintendo is doing pretty much the only thing they really can do, business wise and market wise - expand their game selection an reduce the price.
Yeah, I suppose it's just an opinion. You know, some people still love the 3DS (my friends) while some others still have their doubts about it (Me, I suppose). People do tend to focus on the cons more so I can't blame people for not wanting to buy the 3DS. Yes, it can be quite fun, it just depends on who's playing. Heck, most people I know hate the Gameboy Micro but I just love it.

I have some sort of nostalgia regarding Nintendo. Despite the fact that I've moved on to PS, I still wanna see them succeed because they introduced me to video games and they're the pioneers. But I don't know...it seems that as of lately, they're falling behind. I just hope those new upcoming games make up for the system, at least until we get a 3DSi or something.
Yeah, it is an opinion. That last statement. Or all of it. Eh.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
So, instead of some new titles, Nintendo is just re-releasing some old titles?!?

Again?!?

*dies from lack of surprise*