Sony Has "No Desire" To Launch PS4 Anytime Soon

RossRaymondEdwards

Aug 3, 2011
Sony Has "No Desire" To Launch PS4 Anytime Soon

Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida says the PS3 still has plenty of untapped potential.

Sony has long insisted that the PlayStation 3 has the computing power and developer support necessary for a lengthy lifespan. It should come as no surprise, then, that Yoshida sees a bright future for the console despite Nintendo's Wii U reveal and rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108622-Rumor-Successor-to-Xbox-360-Coming-in-2015] of a new Microsoft platform being in the works.

There won't be a need to "seriously consider shifting to the next generation" until developers run out of ways to keep improving on PS3 titles, Yoshida told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-22-when-sony-will-seriously-consider-ps4].

"As far as we are concerned, we have no desire now to do that," Yoshida said when asked about making a new console. "When you see games coming out on PS3, both the traditional type of games as well as new kind of games using PS Move, there is a lot more we can do from the game development standpoint.

"So as long as we and our developers can create new experiences that are more exciting to consumers, I see no need to transition into (a) newer generation."

Yoshida's comments reaffirm remarks made by Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO Jack Tretton last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98687-Sony-CEO-Cant-Imagine-Future-of-PlayStation] that the PS3, which will celebrate its fifth birthday in November, will likely enjoy a 10-year lifespan.

"PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride," Tretton said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111144-Wii-U-Not-a-Threat-to-PS3-Says-Sony-Boss] in June in response to the Wii U announcement. "I wouldn't look for any discussion of a next-generation PlayStation for quite some time."

Nintendo expects [http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about] the Wii U to launch sometime next year.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-22-when-sony-will-seriously-consider-ps4].

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Read: We only just started making a profit on the PS3, we're not yet ready to go back to losing money on every console just yet.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Read: We only just started making a profit on the PS3, we're not yet ready to go back to losing money on every console just yet.
Damn you, this is what I was thinking.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
YES! That's the spirit! Don't release the PlayStation 4, we will all be thankful for it!

'Cause honestly, what innovations can the next generation of consoles really bring us? Sure, the Wii U looks kinda interesting, but it feel like little more than a gimmick and a graphics upgrade.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
I've yet to see a game using PS3's hardware to the full. Once they have started comming, and once they have started comming in rows. I think it would be about time for them to consider PS4. Till then, making a PS4 would not only make them loose money, but would make costumers loose money aswell.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
... And the thread is won before it even truly begins...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well good. Means I don't have to invest in a new system any time soon. I'm not so keen on the WiiU yet, and if Microsoft ushers out something quickly my brother would likely get it. Besides I've become more of a PC game lately, I'll need the money to upgrade that for now.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
C117 said:
'Cause honestly, what innovations can the next generation of consoles really bring us? Sure, the Wii U looks kinda interesting, but it feel like little more than a gimmick and a graphics upgrade.
That right there describes every new console generation ever. A gimmick and graphics update. Hell, for many systems, the graphics update WAS the gimmick.

Anyway, more on topic:
Yes, part of this is due to the fact that Sony has barely started making a profit off the PS3, but there are also not that many games that use the system to it's full capabilities. It's a mix of both.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
It's a Smart move. With Nintendo releasing the Wii U and the possibility of Microsoft releasing their next monstrosity, It'll give Sony the chance to see what the competitors have done and improve on not only the competitors consoles but also their own to make the PS4 more of a dominant force.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Maybe it's time that they start tapping that hidden potential in the ps3 or we may not want a ps4.
In fact, the way things have been going with the ps3, I've been becoming more and more of a PC gamer.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
If you consider that a PS3 has the same amount of "computing power" as the supercomputer NASA used to but a man on the moon. I can't see how sony could improve their the PS hardware.

I can see a lot of ways how it could improve the software however...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
""There won't be a need to "seriously consider shifting to the next generation" until developers run out of ways to keep improving on PS3 titles, Yoshida told Eurogamer."

Oh, are games supposed to be improving? Sometimes I doubt that when I look at all the samey crap that rips each other off without shame and thought...
So I guess I can spoil the release date for you: PS IV coming 2099!

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Good. I barely have the money to buy new games as is, I don't need the cost of a new console thrown on me yet.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Lacsapix said:
If you consider that a PS3 has the same amount of "computing power" as the supercomputer NASA used to but a man on the moon. I can't see how sony could improve their the PS hardware.

I can see a lot of ways how it could improve the software however...
Uhm...my netbook has more computational power than the device to which you are referring. Just because something is labeled as a "supercomputer" doesn't make its hardware impressive, especially not if the device in question is about 50 years old. Yes, the hardware can and should be improved by a fair bit, at least if Sony wants to remain competitive with modern gaming PCs.
Software...emulator, need I say more?

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
Avaholic03 said:
I've yet to see a game using PS3's hardware to the full. Once they have started comming, and once they have started comming in rows. I think it would be about time for them to consider PS4. Till then, making a PS4 would not only make them loose money, but would make costumers loose money aswell.
The games THAT CAN use the PS3's full "power" won't do it because it'll lag like hell. Every single modern game such as Battlefield 3 is already locked into "medium" graphics and forced into a 30 fps cap, running at 720P. Running BF3 at highest setting possible, at 60 fps and at 1080P will use more power than the PS3 can spare, considering it'll take at least a GTX580 and an i7 to achieve that.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I wander if we might ever get into a situation where Sony skips the next generation entirely, simply relying on the PS3 to keep them going...?

....naaaaaah!

Spygon

May 16, 2009
This coming from the same company who earlier announced that they can not make cross game chats because they have not got enough ram in the PS3.So where is all this untapped potential sony?