Xbox Owner Sues Microsoft for $500 Billion (Yes, Billion)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox Owner Sues Microsoft for $500 Billion (Yes, Billion)

An Xbox 360 owner is using a contractual technicality in the Xbox Live terms and conditions to press a legal claim that Microsoft owes him $500 billion.

David Stebbins of Arkansas reckons that Microsoft owes him a half-trillion dollars - take a moment to let that sink in if you need - and here's how he came to that rather remarkable conclusion. As an Xbox Live user, Stebbins entered into a contract that was binding upon both him and Microsoft, which gave him the idea to "unilaterally amend the terms of service." He submitted a notice of his amendments to Microsoft, giving the company ten days to either accept the new terms or terminate his service. Microsoft neither responded nor terminated his subscription, which he argues means that the company accepted the new contract by default.

A couple of weeks later, on May 18, he contacted Microsoft again, this time with an offer to arbitrate a legal dispute in which he claimed $500 billion in damages. The invitation also carried a "forfeit victory clause" stating that Stebbins would win the case by default if Microsoft failed to respond within 24 hours.

"As you probably guessed, the Defendants did not accept the invitation to arbitrate within 24 hours of receiving it," Stebbins wrote in a legal motion filed in a Seattle federal court. "Therefore, I automatically won on May 19, 2011, per the forfeit victory clause."

Stebbins does make the interesting point that he's merely using the same tactics that large companies often employ with their customers, changing the terms of the user agreement and taking the continued use of its service as acknowledgment of and agreement with the updated contract.

"I see a lot of friends and family who get pushed around and walked on, who have causes of action against them, but they choose not to pursue those causes of action. Lots of people are victims of torts... few of them actually sue over them, but that doesn't mean they can't," he told seattlepi.com [http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2011/08/19/xbox-live-user-says-microsoft-owes-him-500-billion/]. "I, on the other hand, will not let people push me around, just because I've already filed a bunch of claims, already."

It sounds not-entirely-insane, until you get to the part where Stebbins explains in his motion that he won't be offering anything to the court in paper because "to do so would put an undue strain on my printer." Instead, he created a YouTube channel with screenshots of the changes he made to the Xbox T&C and the invitation to arbitration he emailed to Microsoft. The channel, sadly, has since been taken down.

It's also far from Stebbins' only lawsuit; he's filed more than a dozen within the past year, including similar far-fetched attempts at contract arbitration and claims of hiring discrimination because of his Asperger's Syndrome.

Stebbins also made it clear that he didn't go out of his way to make sure his complaints showed up on Microsoft's radar. "When I mail these documents to Microsoft, they won't go to any legal division; I arranged for the mailings to be picked up by the employee that just collects regular mail!" he said. "It's quite possible that these employees won't understand the legal significance of these documents, and know that they're required to respond."

It's an interesting turn-about on the way companies manipulate user contracts as they see fit but I'm not sure how it's going to hold up as a legal strategy and Stebbins' willingness to admit that he's jerking the system around may have been meant ironically but it still drains any sympathy I may have had for his quixotic ploy. Making a point is fine, but there's no need to be a dick about it.

Microsoft has not yet commented on the matter.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Stebbins does make the interesting point that he's merely using the same tactics that large companies often employ with their customers, changing the terms of the user agreement and taking the continued use of its service as acknowledgment of and agreement with the updated contract.

As far as I'm concerned it should apply both ways. Of course, it won't, but I still think it should.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
This guy is going to get crushed, if it even makes it that far.

*EDIT*
Also, his attempt at this is completely useless. In the laws of court he cannot just default him to winning like that, and if anything Microsoft are liable to sue back.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Kinda sounds like a dick. Sorry, but I have no time for fools like this. Of course he won't win anything, no one will take this twat seriously.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
http://cellar.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=33450&stc=1&d=1313237859
Sounds like a pretty half-baked plan to me, I think he will need several satellite lasers and shark tanks to get the full 500 Billion.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I'm not sure if he's a genius, mad or both, but I doubt he'll be able to rake in THAT much money. But I guess he's just making a statement. But who knows; everyone has a little mad genius in them waiting to blossom into a full-fledged supervillain.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
He actually made a pretty good move with the whole 'ammended terms', as that is completely legal. It's called the "last shot" move in contract law and has actually passed in courts. However its the "Stebbins would win the case by default if Microsoft failed to respond within 24 hours" that is his undoing.
I think the relevant case is 'Re: Move' wherein it's stated that the person making an offer cannot proclaim a decision based on the recievers non-action. Kind of like 'if you don't respond by X I'll consider this sold'.

So yeah, he's going to fail. Good try though.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Microsoft neither responded nor terminated his subscription, which he argues means that the company accepted the new contract by default."

I know 100% certain this is illegal in NL. Some semi-illegal businesses tried this on consumers, and oh man, did that anger the judge in question, calling it criminal, aggressive and worthy of jailtime...

No idea in the US of A, but I'm pretty sure a judge will (and should, very hard) slap him out of the court. And then Microsoft countersues for slander or something just for the fun of him having to pay a lawyer for twenty years. Ah, justice!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Kwil said:
What's interesting is that when he loses this case (as he obviously will) it does go toward setting a precedent that unilaterally imposing changes is not legitimate.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the guy acts like a bit of a jerk, otherwise there's a chance he'd get a sympathetic judge who would, in striking his case down, not point out any particular differences from his activities and that of companies which use much the same tactics.
I get the feeling that's the point. When you're forced to admit that this sort of thing lets people be dicks, you have to restrict it.

Feb 13, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Hahaha. Just another troll out to make money. Typical.
That was my first though as well, but wait...

He's not actually doing anything worse than Apple, Microsoft, Sony do every day. Their EULA's are chockful of jargon that are sometimes...playful with their legal ramifications, and even the Miranda warning ("You have the right to remain silent") isn't legally binding unless you understand it fully. (Which is why the Police have to be sure that you've heard it)

Now this guy may, and probably is, way out on the con; but in doing so, he may inadvertently put restrictions in motion that stop Microsoft from, say, banning you from Xbox from a false positive from their cheating system.

Because at the moment, you have no recompense to that apart from a call to PR.

Obviously, major companies need a certain leeway in defining their terms and conditions - and obviously legal precedents override legal loopholes, but actually having court cases that the lawyers can bring up to say "Hold on a tic, you said in blah versus blah that this couldn't happen." may yet be a gain for the legitimate consumer.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I hope Microsoft pay him the $500 Billion, but in Microsoft Points.

It would be so funny if they deposited 4 Quadrillion Microsoft Points, that's 40000000000000 non transferable Microsoft Points, into his account, then terminated his account as he requested.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
this guy is so stupid he will not get a penny from microsoft and will spend a lot of money on leagal fees for no return, he has no chance in hell of winning

Caine Master

Jul 16, 2011
I understand the guy is trying to make a point, but 500 billion dollars seems a little much. I doubt the guy will win.

And why go to court if you're not willing to print out your evidence for the judge? That just seems stupid to me.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I want $500 billion.....
Oh well. Maybe if he set more realistic numbers as his goal, he'd actually be able to win cases.