Konami Offers Guided Tour Of Metal Gear Solid 3 HD

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Konami Offers Guided Tour Of Metal Gear Solid 3 HD

Would you like a look at the upcoming high-def remake of Metal Gear Solid 3? Konami has you covered in spades.

This five-and-a-half minute video not only offers the first good look at the game, it also features a handy walkthrough and commentary courtesy Kojima Productions Assistant Producer Sean Eyestone.

The gameplay shown covers the very first part of the game. It may, in theory, spoil some incredibly minor plot points for those of you who haven't yet played the brilliant PlayStation 2 stealth-action title.

The rest of you however, will instead likely focus on just how clean everything looks. I don't know if you've attempted to go back and play the prior generation MGS games recently, but the pixelation and jagged polygons are really evident coming from a background where we're now used to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360-level aesthetics.

That said, the game is still a brilliant work of art, both in its creative gameplay and its dramatic storytelling. It could be recreated in pixelated 8-bit graphics and the game would still be phenomenal. The upgrade the game is getting as part of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is essentially just a new coat of paint for a car that still runs like a champ.

Speaking of which, the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is scheduled to hit the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in November. It includes remastered version of Metal Gear Solid 2, MGS3 and MGS: Peace Walker. What's more, both MGS2 and MGS3 appear with all the upgrades of their latter day releases, so you're getting the absolute best version of each game.

Look, the bottom line is that any of you who haven't played these Hideo Kojima games are just going to have to buy the HD Collection. We have standards to uphold around here, and missing out on these games is just something I can't tolerate.

Now give me three "Hail Marios" and hum the theme from Contra.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Damnit, I can't wait to get a hold of this. Playing Snake Eater in 60 frames will be so goddamn awesome. Such a pity, though, that I couldn't see a difference between the footage from that video and the stuff I remember. I'm guessing that's more of a resolution issue on account of YouTube.

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
I think I might buy this. I missed out on both the Substance and Subsistence versions before, and apparently Peace Walker is in there too? Nice. Shame we don't get the first MGS, though. Then the collection really would have been complete.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Not enough of an MGS fan to get this, but it does stir up fond memories of the boss battle against The End. Most epic stealth-and-snipe battle I've ever experienced.

Apr 28, 2008
Bitchin'

MGS3 is the best Metal Gear. Probably won't buy this, since my PS2 copy still works, but still, looks nice.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Oh damn I can't wait for this collection...

Lord Beautiful said:
Damnit, I can't wait to get a hold of this. Playing Snake Eater in 60 frames will be so goddamn awesome. Such a pity, though, that I couldn't see a difference between the footage from that video and the stuff I remember. I'm guessing that's more of a resolution issue on account of YouTube.
Yeah, even with Youtube on 720p it looks like crap and I'm going to assume it's Youtube's fault rather than the game simply looking the same.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Irridium said:
Bitchin'

MGS3 is the best Metal Gear.
Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best video game ever made. And this is coming from a PC gamer. Fuck you Konami! Why isn't this on PC as well?

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
Eh, I can appreciate the smooth edges of everything, but the textures didn't impress. I'd still buy it though since it's a great game.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Oh heyull yayuh I'll be getting this. MGS3 is probably my No.1 game of all time. So yea this'll be a must.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
I didn't like this video. I mean, i'm sure that the graphics are slightly better than they were but is there really that much improvement?

Show me a video of MGS1 that looks like MG2 however, and i will be stunned.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
ciancon said:
I didn't like this video. I mean, i'm sure that the graphics are slightly better than they were but is there really that much improvement?

Show me a video of MGS1 that looks like MG2 however, and i will be stunned.
Prepare to be stunned then :p
On topic I can't wait for this to be released. Simply to finally be able to play Peace Walker again. Curse my PSP and dying out on me.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Really can't wait for this now. Two of my favourite games from the PS2 given a HD makeover and they are the Substance and Subsistence versions as well. Plus Peace Walker which should be good as well. Thank you Konami. My only complaint is that there's no MGS1.

Sep 30, 2010
Really looking forward to this collection. I have working copies of Substance, Subsistence, and Peace Walker (still working on getting all the weapons, getting close) but I'm still probably going to get this collection. I'm a MGS fanboy to the core...