Layoffs Backstab Daggerdale Developer

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Layoffs Backstab Daggerdale Developer

Bedlam Games, the studio that released D&D: Daggerdale, is apparently on its way out after only one game.

When Bedlam Games' Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale came out a couple of months ago, it was met with resounding shrugs of indifference. As The Escapist's own Justin Clouse <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8911-Dungeon-Dragons-Daggerdale-Review>pointed out in his review, the game had a lot of content to love - but only if players could overlook the various other shortcomings that kept on popping up throughout the adventure. Apparently this wasn't good enough to get people to buy the game, and most of the staff at Bedlam has been let go.

Following up on <a href=https://twitter.com/#!/veracious_shit/status/105415166618906625>a tweet from "veracious_shit" about layoffs at Bedlam (this account was the one that helped break the news about trouble at Team Bondi last year), Joystiq followed up with some studios to see if the claim was true. An anonymous source claimed that "around 90 percent of Bedlam employees are officially on 'temporary layoffs.'"

While this sounds bad, it gets worse: No severance pay has been offered to these suspended employees. Not only that, but they're not expecting to get hired back, since several have gone on to new positions at other companies.

Our thoughts are with all those laid-off, and hopefully they land on their feet soon.

Source: Joystiq

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
It's sad to see that so many aren't given a second chance in their job. Hopefully someone else will pick them up under a warmer hand.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
NLS said:
It's sad to see that so many aren't given a second chance in their job. Hopefully someone else will pick them up under a warmer hand.
A second chance would be good. But in a recession, if you suck at your job, it is pretty much inevitable that you will get fired. There were many flaws with that game. I looked forward to that game, tracked it for months...only to be thoroughly let down when it finally came out.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
I'm guessing this was updated cause I remember this article having a different title.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
***spoilers*** alongside

I don't know,the game starts pretty bad,combat seems unresponsive and slow,skills useless. But around 3-4 hours in the game it gets really good,even the combat once you get some decent equip,still with same problems. By the time I got to the tower and was held prisoner forced to fight etc it reminded me of Baldur's gate 2 when you get captured by the ilithids and I got to say I was really loving the game by that time. But then I got to the end of it and the final fight literally couldn't be any worse. Shitty jrpg mentality where you damage paws,then damage head then QTE to kill the warlock. Then more QTE on the dragon. That really made me trash the game as soon as I finished it. While I'm sorry people lost their job and all but FU Bedlam,you not only could have made a better game but you were actually onto something during the game.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Well, to be honest I wouldn't give these guys another game either. Though hard to tell if it was lack of skills or lack of management. Or too much Management. Same result.

DrWilhelm

May 5, 2009
Shame. I doubt the people losing their jobs are the ones responsible for the games middling quality. They'll mostly be the rank and file programmers who just get told what to do.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
DrWilhelm said:
Shame. I doubt the people losing their jobs are the ones responsible for the games middling quality. They'll mostly be the rank and file programmers who just get told what to do.
And I'd guess the 10% that weren't "temporarily" laid off were the decision makers too.