Videogames Reduce Violent Crime in U.S.

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Videogames Reduce Violent Crime in U.S.

Can't murder now. Gaming.

There are lots of studies pertaining to videogames and criminality, but how often do you hear that games reduce crime rates? According to a recent collaborative research project, both non-violent and violent games may help reduce the rate of violent crime in the U.S. The study suggests that people who game - even ones predisposed to violence - would rather spend their time playing videogames than actually committing crimes.

To reach this conclusion, researchers from the Centre for European Economic Research, Baylor University, and the University of Texas at Arlington conducted a meta-analysis of a number of existing studies. Multiple studies show that videogames can, in fact, lead to a short-term rise in aggression, and aggression can be a cause of violent crime. However, according to the researchers in Understanding the Effect of Violent Video Games on Violent Crime, "[Video games] paradoxically may reduce violence while increasing the aggressiveness of individuals by simply shifting these individuals out of alternative activities where crime is more likely to occur." In other words, even if videogames inspire an individual to commit criminal acts, the simple act of gaming often proves more compelling than real-life criminality.

The study does not rule out tighter regulations on violent videogames, but cautions against overzealousness. "Possible regulations of violent content in video games should be carefully designed," reads the paper. "They could lead to a reduction in long-term aggressive tendencies. However, in the short-term, they would probably lead to a rise in crime rates as a number of gamers would spend less time playing video games."

This research presents an interesting dilemma. Evidence suggests that videogames can cause aggression, which could lead to violent crime. Tighter regulations could shift budding criminals out of their living rooms and onto the streets, which could lead to violent crime. For now, though, violent crime is on the decline, and videogames may be a factor.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.zew.de/en/publikationen/publikation.php3?action=detail&nr=6273]

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Damn studies that make gamers look like insane murderers make me want to KILL PEOPLE!

Oh, wait, it says the opposite? Carry on then.

Feb 13, 2008
Over the past umpty ump years, everything in the book has been blamed for the increase. And for the decrease? The sterling blah blah blah that never did anything different.

While I'd cheer a study that proves definitively that games have NOTHING to do with crime, or at least no more than eating strawberries, this study will be pushed under the table like Dr. Tanya Byron's "Safer Children in a Digital World".

What she said? Parents should spend more time with their kids.

What was taken from it? Parents should spend more keeping their kids safe.

Face it, until there's a worse "evil" in the world, games don't have a chance of being accepted.

And we took it off role-playing, video nasties and heavy metal music.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Ugh... I'm gonna go find the word "violent" and beat it to a bloody pulp now.
Interesting article though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
really I Think its a combination of videogames and abortion that lowers the crime rate, video games for the reasons stated above, and abortion since it prevents as many unwanted babies in house holds that cant really afford to have kids or want them

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009

But seriously, while I applaud a study that for once takes a different view of things, I have a hard time believing any direct correlation between games and crime.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
It's a speculative study, they can't directly prove cause and effect but they can provide numbers that refute the "video games cause violence" that has been bounced about and I'm sure you are all familiar with. What this study is actually saying is that a: read the previous sentence and b: video game legislation should not be put forward without significant forthought as there is a chance it will increase the rate of crime.
This is a positive step. Or it would be if video game detractors hadn't already decisively proved that they don't give a damn about reason and evidence.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
What's that saying? Correlation does not imply causation?

There's no real link here between video games and the decrease in crime. This is not anything new, either. People have used BoJ statistics for YEARS to indicate the same, but it doesn't really prove that there's any relationship between the two.

And yes, I realise that I'm condemning something that is on "my side" of the argument. I hate bad logic, even if it supports me.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
What's that saying? Correlation does not imply causation?

There's no real link here between video games and the decrease in crime. This is not anything new, either. People have used BoJ statistics for YEARS to indicate the same, but it doesn't really prove that there's any relationship between the two.

And yes, I realise that I'm condemning something that is on "my side" of the argument. I hate bad logic, even if it supports me.
Ino right? An entire study who's premise is based on a logical fallacy(Post Hoc Fallacy)!

Seriously? These guys are either getting graded for this or are the ones teaching the students. Either way, they need to be hit really hard!

DefiningReality

Apr 29, 2010
Bad form Escapist and Honorof. Greg Tito posted about this same article not two months ago and he at least had the integrity to post a link to it and not pretend like it was a new story. Since you couldn't be bothered to link to his article, please allow me...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111191-Less-Crime-in-U-S-Thanks-to-Videogames

And the article itself...

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1804959

As for the article itself, it has three big problems.

1. I'm not saying that someone "outside the guild" of professional psychology or sociology can't make a contribution to a field outside their expertise, but when *economists* working for an *economic* institute put out a study of other people's studies, people who are "in the guild," that will, if believed, improve the *economic* prospectus of a given industry, we might need to engage in a little word counting and ask some questions about the veracity of their claims.

2. I'm outside of both the Economic and Sociological guilds so I am not myself familiar with the SSRN but it seems as if it is not a peer-reviewed publication. Furthermore, the article's status on the SSRN as a "working paper" makes it seem even less credible. (If someone is familiar with the SSRN please feel free to correct me on this. As I said, it's outside of the regular databases I use so it may be perfectly respectable within its field.)

3. As stated above, the article is frequently confusing correlation and causation. Using correlation in academic work *isn't a bad thing* unless you stop your academic work with simply showing a correlation and then go on to theorizing as if you had just shown a causation. This is exactly what the article does.

Finally, just in way of examining our community's reaction to this article, read the twenty or so comments surrounding this one and then recall this Critical Miss...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8903-Critical-Miss-Gamer-Science

Now ask yourself if most of those comments aren't exactly what the comic predicts about Gamers and gamer science.

The argument that games cause violence as a necessity is laughable, trite, and put forward largely by the culturally ignorant, but the way to combat a lie isn't with bad science and humming loudly while we cover our ears with questionable journal articles. The way forward is to honestly admit problems in our community where they exist and face them head on and without fear. If we become that kind of community, then we just might actually make the world a better place in reality and not just in theory.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
AvsJoe said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Can't murder now. Gaming.
Hehe, I got a real kick out of this line. I'd love to see it in a movie or something.
It's from the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror where they do a spoof of The Shining. When the ghouls ask Homer why he is not killing his family (Homer is locked in the pantry eating), Homer replies "Can't murder now. Eating."

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Duh. People are lazy. It takes a lot less effort to kill a bunch of people on a screen than it does to actually go outside and attack them.

Dec 27, 2010
While it's nice to see a study look at things from two perspectives, I still find it hard to see why games are linked to the current US crime rate. Aggressiveness isn't exclusively caused by games, and if that's case, why aren't we asking if there is a link between American football, or rugby, or half the sports in the Olympics and criminal activity?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Stick to Economics, guys. Let the Psychologists sort out the behaviour stuff, okay? Besides, metas are almost always contingent on what the researchers decide on being factors for consideration, for all we know, this person may have had as much of an agenda as the anti-gaming studies we see.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
While it's nice to see a study look at things from two perspectives, I still find it hard to see why games are linked to the current US crime rate. Aggressiveness isn't exclusively caused by games, and if that's case, why aren't we asking if there is a link between American football, or rugby, or half the sports in the Olympics and criminal activity?
I think the mentality of thinking of people who play games as a different category is bad. People will play games,which means you will have the potential thiefs,murderers and even worse. The fact that games keep them occupied instead of actually going outside and do "bad things" is a huge thing.

Jun 11, 2008
To be honest I have yet to read source but this is an old study and doesn't seem to be much better than anti video game ones as it simply seems to be people play video and crime happened to go down they must be related. I am sure there are many more factors and this stops just when the recession was getting really bad and prolonged when anti social behaviour in recessions starts to happen.

Jun 23, 2008
You know what also reduces crime?

Free Circuses.

You know when we figured that out?

About seventeen centuries ago.

People who are sustained and entertained don't generally have reasons to kill each other.

238U.