Epic Wrote Multiple Gears 3 Endings to Keep Carmine's Fate Secret

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Epic Wrote Multiple Gears 3 Endings to Keep Carmine's Fate Secret

Will Clayton Carmine live or die in Gears of War 3? Well, technically, he does both.

The Carmine brothers have a proud history of dying in the Gears of War games, and Clayton Carmine in will be no exception in Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314195827&sr=8-1]. Well, probably not, anyway. There's a chance he might survive, and Epic, keen for no one to give the game away, has gone to the trouble of crafting multiple endings to keep his fate a secret.

Epic held a charity event in July of last year, where people could vote whether Clayton lived or died by buying t-shirts for their Xbox 360 avatar. Two shirts were on offer, one emblazoned with "Save Carmine," and the other sporting the slogan "Carmine Must Die." People could also buy real world versions of the shirts, either at that year's San Diego Comic-Con, or by getting them online. Whichever shirt sold best determined whether Clayton lived or died, and all the proceeds went to Child's Play.

Epic's Mike Capps revealed the studio's efforts to keep the mystery an actual mystery to attendees at Gamescom. "We actually wrote both [endings] in the game," he said, "just in case the game leaked so no-one would be able to tell what happens." This may have proven a smart move, as they game did leak earlier this year.

Multiple endings are pretty common in videogames, although usually they're actual, achievable endings, rather than red herrings meant to throw people off the scent. We're going to have to wait until September 20th to find out the Clayton's real fate, when Gears of War 3 comes out for Xbox 360.

Source: Digital Spy [http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a336607/gears-of-war-3-multiple-carmine-endings-written-in-case-of-leaks.html]

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Good plan. Didn't Simpsons do something like this with Who Shot Mr Burns? Of course, I'm willing to bet everyone thought Maggie was just for fun. And then the episode is aired and boom, everyone is dumber for it. But I'm straying off topic.

So, yeah, good plan. Very good plan as it turns out, in light of the leak.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I actually bought the "save carmine" t-shirt for the xbox avatar...2 reasons. 1. I wanted this Carmine too live, give the family some peace. xD

And 2. The money went to charity.

Pre-purchased Gears 3 yesterday, looking forward to it.

therightanswer

Mar 1, 2011
CARMINE MUST DIE!

I have the Carmine must die T, but don't wear it. My avatar actually looks good the way he is.

March on locust horde!

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Save Carmine! Carmines mom is NOT the Alien Queen, able to continually spit out more Carmine warriors to meet their maker, you know! Or.... is she? Anyways, the proceeds for the shirts went to a good cause, it was all in good fun, and we will know the answer in less than a month!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
They made Carmine a big meaty meat meating meatsack like all the others, so I don't really care what happens to him. Part of the CHARM for Carmine, for me, was the fact he LOOKED LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN BEING.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
TsunamiWombat said:
They made Carmine a big meaty meat meating meatsack like all the others, so I don't really care what happens to him. Part of the CHARM for Carmine, for me, was the fact he LOOKED LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN BEING.
But in the Gearsverse, bulging muscles mean you're more likely to survive.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
The Great JT said:
The game will be worlds better if Baird dies.

Hate that annoying pain in the ass.
No...Baird is my favorite character! I love all of his smartass remarks!

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
EPIC has told us that GOW 3 will be final Marcus Fenix installment, definitely not the last Gears game. I have a feeling that he'll survive, and that he'll be the next focus of the series.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
The Great JT said:
The game will be worlds better if Baird dies.

Hate that annoying pain in the ass.
i like him because he is annoying, everyone else is either stoically quite or a psychopath, getting cynical is the only reasonable reaction to being wiped out.

while i hate that carmine is as muscle-packed as the other gears(it would have been nice to have a veteran who looks different) i want him to live, half their family already died and they deserve some comfort. Plus he still wears a helmet so wearing one must not be as big a disadvantage as it seems.

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
How about both? Turn him into a Schrodinger's cat, and make his death or survival dependent on the outcome of a random prior event in the game.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I am hoping he lives. Granted, there's still one more brother even if he does die, but that would simply be crushing for his mother. To lose three of her four babies would be almost as bad as what this series has done to Dom.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Simalacrum said:
I thought "Carmine must live" won the debate?
I was certain that they had already confirmed that he lives, but now I can't find the article I'd read. Oh well. Game is out in less than a month, then we'll know.