Ubisoft Apologizes for From Dust DRM Confusion

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Ubisoft Apologizes for From Dust DRM Confusion

Ubisoft is working with Steam to offer a return option to dissatisfied From Dust purchasers.

Ubisoft's inability to clearly describe how digital rights management (DRM) would affect the PC version of From Dust wrought an unfortunate situation - one that left many gamers feeling ripped-off. Is it always on? Is it on just when you initially log in? Nobody seemed to have the clear picture.

The publisher recently announced plans to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112534-Ubisoft-Drops-From-Dust-DRM-In-Two-Weeks>drop all DRM authentication from its latest god simulator within two weeks, allowing for completely offline gaming, but it looks like it's going a step farther to appease the masses. Ubisoft asked Steam to grant purchasers of From Dust the option to have their money refunded.

"Ubisoft has just announced that they are working on a patch that will eliminate the need for any online authentication for From Dust," reads a Steam support ticket sent to Giant Bomb. "The patch will release in approximately two weeks. If you don't want to wait for the patch or if you haven't played the game, per Ubisoft's request, we will issue refunds for this title. If you would still like your purchase of From Dust refunded, please reply to this ticket."

The Escapist's own Justin Clouse granted From Dust <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9075-From-Dust-Review>three-and-a-half stars, praising the visuals and its "satisfying puzzle inspired gameplay," so there is some fun to be had. However, if you feel cheated by Ubisoft's wishy-washy, noncommittal statements regarding DRM, it looks like you'll finally be able to do something about it.

Source: Giant Bomb

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
They are removing DRM AND giving refunds? I would have been surprised to hear them do just one of these things. This is good. I hope this will set a standard.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
They are removing the DRM AND giving refunds? I would have been surprised if they did just one of these things. This is good. I hope this will set a standard.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
A friend of mine is actually using this to his advantage. He bought From Dust, played through some of the game, and then sent in a complaint on the same day so he could get his money back.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I think I will use this option. My blood boils every time I see "Synchronizing.. synchronizing... synchronizing..." when there was not supposed to be ANY DRM. Escapist even made a post about it.
Echo136 said:
A friend of mine is actually using this to his advantage. He bought From Dust, played through some of the game, and then sent in a complaint on the same day so he could get his money back.
Well this is not cool. I for one was able to play maybe an hour, and then kept having issues with the God damn Ubisoft client...

Jul 9, 2008
I have to say, Ubisoft did wrong, but the fact that they are not only removing the DRM but also issuing refunds is quite admirable. Well done, Ubisoft.

Not that I forgive you for devising Always On, mind you.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Doom972 said:
They are removing DRM AND giving refunds? I would have been surprised to hear them do just one of these things. This is good. I hope this will set a standard.
Hopefully it will. But I want them to learn from their mistakes already and drop this DRM business completely. They should never have allowed something like this to happen in the first place.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
There was no DRM confusion. Ubisoft very clearly explained what DRM would be on this game. They were lying through their teeth, but they were clear.

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
ImprovizoR said:
Doom972 said:
Hopefully it will. But I want them to learn from their mistakes already and drop this DRM business completely. They should never have allowed something like this to happen in the first place.
I really doubt they will drop out DRM entirely, drop out Always-On maybe, but not DRM altogether.

IIRC Ubisoft already went through a DRM-free period, I distinctly remember that neither HAWX nor Prince of Persia 2008 had any kind of DRM at all, allowing you to play without an internet connection and without having to insert the DVD.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Seems like Ubisoft battles with their DRM about as much as its customers do. You would think at some point the lesson would sink in that it's just not worth the hassle. It'll be interesting to see a future headline stating that Ubisoft is going out of business due to unmitigated costs of DRM implementations and failures.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Royas said:
There was no DRM confusion. Ubisoft very clearly explained what DRM would be on this game. They were lying through their teeth, but they were clear.
Amen!, And it's true, they have a post of it on their official forums (wonder if that guy got fired?, if it was his fault, good on, but if it was just word-of-mouth from Ubi, I feel sorry).

Lying through their teeth at customers,...ugh, that just pissed me off. I'm glad that Steam is helping get refunds, and I'm for sure taking advantage of it.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
Can't say I was too worried about the DRM, people will do these stupid things, it's just the awful controls I hope they patch...

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Its a nice first step. When they take the useless DRM off all of their software I might consider looking at them again. Until then, I hope they die a horrible death.