Kinect Star Wars Delayed Until After Christmas

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Kinect Star Wars Delayed Until After Christmas

You'll have to wait a little longer than expected to see how your hands work as lightsabers.

The release of Kinect Star Wars, originally due in "holiday 2011," has been pushed back until after Christmas by publishers Microsoft and LucasArts. The R2D2/C3PO-themed Xbox hardware bundle [http://www.oxm.co.uk/31549/news/kinect-star-wars-themed-xbox-360-unveiled-screenshots-and-details/] which was set to be released with the game will also be delayed until the game ships next year.

Speaking to the Official Xbox Magazine [http://www.oxm.co.uk/32722/news/kinect-star-wars-delayed/], a spokesperson for Microsoft said that they want the game to "realize its full potential" on release. He added that the company will announce a new release date "at a later date."

All things considered, this move is probably a wise one. When Susan Arendt tried out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110855-E3-Star-Wars-Kinect] the game's Bespin level at E3 this year, she found that the controls were still lacking in responsiveness and finesse. Hopefully this additional development time, however long it turns out to be, will give developer Terminal Reality the opportunity to iron out any problems and ship a game that lets you use the Force with less of an emphasis on flailing.

Source: Official Xbox Magazine [http://www.oxm.co.uk/32722/news/kinect-star-wars-delayed/]

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
At least they aren't rushing it out the door. Hopefully this actually helps the game, and Kinect doesn't doom it to destruction...

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I'll still hold out for Kinect 2.0, where you can control your lightsaber with your movements, and the force with your mind.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
"LIGHTSABER ON!!"

so.... what potential..?

It's a shame that they didn't treat KOTOR2 the same respect as this tiny little mess...

Dec 27, 2010
mysecondlife said:
"LIGHTSABER ON!!"
Damnit, I was going to say that!

OT; YAY!!! But seriously, who's actually upset that they won't spend Christmas morning watching their grandmother break her spine while waving her arms around in what is essentially a gesture controlled corridor.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I want that R2D2 Xbox. Damn the cost...oh wait no monies :( DAMN THE COST!

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
I'm going to be the first to whine about wanting Battlefront 3 instead.
And i'm going to be the first to mention that battlefront 3 is currently enjoying the development void and will probably never be released if not for a long time.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
This will probably be best for the game's quality but can't be good for the viability of the console bundle. Will more consoles move after the gift glut that is Christmas? Probably not. With that in mind, I'll give MS some credit for choosing to delay both.

Though I know it's just not going to be as happy a life day for some little ewok out there who was looking forward to opening this up first thing in the morning. Luckily for him there's no drought of good games on the wind. Maybe he'd enjoy human revolution?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Hevva said:
Speaking to the Official Xbox Magazine [http://www.oxm.co.uk/32722/news/kinect-star-wars-delayed/], a spokesperson for Microsoft said that they want the game to "realize its full potential" on release.
So, they're going to cancel it for Kinect and make it for Playstation Move instead, so you can have more accurate lightsaber swinging AND actually be able to move to wherever you want instead of being stuck on rails?

If not, then they aren't letting the game realize it's full potential.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Hevva said:
Speaking to the Official Xbox Magazine [http://www.oxm.co.uk/32722/news/kinect-star-wars-delayed/], a spokesperson for Microsoft said that they want the game to "realize its full potential" on release.
So, they're going to cancel it for Kinect and make it for Playstation Move instead, so you can have more accurate lightsaber swinging AND actually be able to move to wherever you want instead of being stuck on rails?

If not, then they aren't letting the game realize it's full potential.
Not quite. Playstation Move is heavily limited. It works much more like the Wii-mote. It's rather imprecise. As someone who has worked on both platforms as a job, I can pretty much say with absolute certainty that Kinect can actually read full body movements MUCH better than PSMove ever will.

I say take all the time you want on this one. Make sure the game is perfect before releasing it. Chances are they are tweaking the game to make it more responsive and more accurate. Like almost all movement controlled games, though, it'll still require a certain amount of practicing before you get used to the controls.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
*Sigh*...goddamn, if LucasArts can licence EA to fund the development of TOR, why can't they use that relationship to contract out Battlefront 3 to DICE? *Double Sigh* One can dream...

EDIT: Of course, only once Battlefield 3 is out. THEN Battlefront 3.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I can't shake the feel (pun unintended, but appreciated) that no amount of extra developement time will improve the gameplay here. What I've seen was extremely wooden and without a massive overhaul I don't see how they can really fix that. I suppose tighter controls would help - assuming the problem is with the software and not the hardware.

Although regardless of what improvements are made you still end up with a rail shooter with no shooting - the first is boring enough.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Well it really doesn't effect me but I don't see how extra time without changing a lot of things will get rid of the people being bored after the initial "I'm actually waving a lightsaber!" thing wears off.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Is ANYONE actually disappointed by this?
From the gameplay I've seen, it really doesn't look too appealing, but then again, I'm not exactly the biggest Star Wars fan...