Shepard Can Lose in Mass Effect 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Shepard Can Lose in Mass Effect 3

The stakes are higher than ever in Mass Effect 3, says BioWare.

Ancient machines threaten the Earth, and only you are in a position to stop them: What do you do? Well, one of the things you can do is make a complete mess of it and let angry mechanical star gods destroy the whole planet. BioWare has let slip that one of the possible endings in Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314268236&sr=8-2 ] is that Commander Shepard can fail to stop the Reapers, thus dooming the Earth, and the entire galaxy.

BioWare's Mike Gamble revealed that this baleful possibility existed, although obviously he wouldn't go into too much detail - or indeed, any detail at all - as to how it came about. However, he did say that the stakes were higher in Mass Effect 3 than they'd ever been before. "In Mass Effect 3, the theme is literally galactic extinction, so the choices that you make can have that much larger consequences, and because of that, you think a little bit harder before making them."

He said that it was difficult to account for all the decisions a player might make, not to mention the different combinations of decisions, but that having so many options made the story better. "A lot of the satisfaction [in Mass Effect 3] comes out of the choices that you made, so when a story concludes a certain way, the way it concluded was in part because of the choices you made." He also said that the choices increased the game's replayability, as people could go back and try out different branches of the story.

This isn't the first time that BioWare has included a "bad ending" in a Mass Effect game: in Mass Effect 2 it was possible for Shepard to die at the end, but then - as will undoubtedly be the case in Mass Effect 3 - the player only had him or herself to blame. I like the idea that victory isn't guaranteed, as it helps make the story all the more immersive. You'll probably defeat the Reapers at the end of the game, but when you do, it will be the result of - potentially - three games worth of good decisions.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: NowGamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/videos/1027085/mass_effect_3_bioware_interview.html]

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
This is absolutely true. Origin does seem like it'll be the nail in the coffin for ME3. I have to admit though I assumed that considering you could lose your entire squad in the suicide mission in ME2 that something like this would be possible for the 3rd.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I'm Commander Shepherd, and I don't lose!"

(really looking forward to this!)

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
Too bad because of the Origin factor in the equation.

The Mass Effect trilogy is too good to catch flak from those knuckleheads at EA.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Wait ... exactly the same feature as ME2 had? Only now they expect me to believe that holograms can stab? I'm sorry. I liked Mass Effect when it was still slightly Science Fiction.

With "visceral" "edgy" "insert bad hype here" stabby holographic UIs they completely lost me on Science part.
When they started outsourcing their design decisions to Facebook votes, then added EA Origin, the case was shut for me.

Sad that all BioWare PR is now handled by EA, people that brought you Dead Space 2 comercial ...

Gilgamesh00

Nov 22, 2008
I thought we knew this a long time ago? I mean of course I was expecting this. I would have been surprised and annoyed if this didn't exist.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Mass Effect 3 is going the Battlefield 3 way: it will be great and solid and epic on its own as a game, but all the Origin-related bullshit EA's pulling might become a deal-breaker, and decide if these games will be a flop or a flick, on the PC at least, since it's the platform concerned.
I sure hope Valve gets EA games back to Steam, or else their PC sales will drown because PC gamers will feel betrayed. For fuck's sake EA, can't we just go back to online registration of CD Keys as DRM and Steam DRM for Steam copies? At the least, let gamers buy on Steam, get Steam DRM and DLC.
I don't think they even understand they'll lose less money from Steam taking a small cut from sales than from gamers refusing to put up with Origin.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Question: will the Shepard fails ending to ME3 be anything other than an extended game over screen? Because if not, you could just as easily say the marine in Doom fails to defeat the legions hell just because you stopped playing.

Dec 14, 2009
Revelo said:
Drakulea said:

The Mass Effect trilogy is too good to catch flak from those knuckleheads at EA.
Can someone please tell me what Origin is? Everyone goes on about it but I've not seen anything which explains exactly what it is and what it does. I can only assume it's some kind of DRM.
It's bascially EA's version of Steam.

In that it's a steaming pile of shit.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I'm happy about this news, after ME2 I was expecting this to be the case but it's still reassuring to hear it. Your choices matter more when you can completely fuck up and lose. After all, if this is about all life in the galaxy then not being able to fail makes it feel pretty insignificant.

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
Revelo said:
Drakulea said:

Can someone please tell me what Origin is? Everyone goes on about it but I've not seen anything which explains exactly what it is and what it does. I can only assume it's some kind of DRM.
Why don't ya Google it ya lazy skaaaa.... I mean " Allow me to enlighten you. " *crooked smile*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy

Origin is spyware, pure and simple. Worse yet, EA doesn't need this. At all. It could be a dominant force on the market without needing to pry into people's computers. Even without Origins EA could still make truckloads of money. And yet it pulls stuff like that.

Origin is naked, and utterly gratuitous, greed, pure and simple.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Revelo said:
Drakulea said:

Some online service similar to steam. Just made by EA and they keep the rights to do what ever they want with your games, you, your house and your dog (if you don't have one, you will be forced to buy one just so that they have rights over him).