Bloodsuckers Return in Skyrim

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bloodsuckers Return in Skyrim

You can't get away from vampires, even in the frozen reaches of Skyrim.

If you thought dragons were a lot to deal with, then I have some bad news for you: Skyrim has vampires too. In the Elder Scrolls games, vampires are the result of the disease Porphyric Hemophilia, which is quite easily curable in its early stages, but much harder to get rid of once it's taken hold.

The bloodsuckers were discovered by Ripten [http://www.ripten.com/2011/08/25/one-hour-with-skyrim-finally-made-me-a-true-believer-hands-on/4/] during a press event; two vampires hiding out in a cave in a mountain not far from a village, guarded by legions of less chatty undead like skeletons and wraiths. The journalist in question didn't contract vampirism, but since it's been possible to do so in pretty much every Elder Scrolls game ever made, it seems a safe bet that it will be possible in Skyrim, too.

Becoming a vampire does actually have its advantages in the Elder Scrolls games: In Oblivion, for example, the player became tougher and gained new, innate powers, like being able to turn invisible and charm people. There were downsides too though, like taking damage from the sun, and having people refuse to talk to you because of your condition, so you have to weigh up whether it's really worth it.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/26/vampires-return-in-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/]

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Well this isn't big news, what would be news is werewolves, because those were badass in Morrowind

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I want a fucking were mamooth!

That would be so awesome!

Besides, Vampires, suck

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Besides, Vampires, suck
That was just too obvious.

OT: Yeah... I really hated being a vampire in Oblivion. So much that I started an entire dungeon again when I got the disease from a fight. Then the second time I went through it I saved after every fight to make sure I could just hop back to that bit.

It was just annoying, really.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Agow95 said:
Well this isn't big news, what would be news is werewolves, because those were badass in Morrowind
Indeed. Being a vampire always sucked ass, while werewolves were awesome.
According to the game lore, Skyrim also has werebears.

This game needs to have werebears.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
No_Remainders said:
imnotparanoid said:
Besides, Vampires, suck
That was just too obvious.

OT: Yeah... I really hated being a vampire in Oblivion. So much that I started an entire dungeon again when I got the disease from a fight. Then the second time I went through it I saved after every fight to make sure I could just hop back to that bit.

It was just annoying, really.
I think it took at least 24 or more hours to get it.. and even then you can cure it easily, and use Cure potion before you get Advanced stage of disease.

Though I hardly found the use in being a Vampire, even if with mods enhancing it... can't do half the quests that are done in daylight, go to shops (THE SUN IT BURRNSS) or do Arena without constantly eating up. And even that is dumb and boring - go to waterworks at night, drink some homeless guy, profit..

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Isn't Skyrim set in a cold, frozen region? I imagine that without lovely warm blood flowing through their bodies, Vampires might have a little trouble with freezing to un-death.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Agow95 said:
Ring of Hircine please.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Mortons4ck said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Agow95 said:
Indeed. Being a vampire always sucked ass, while werewolves were awesome.
According to the game lore, Skyrim also has werebears.

This game needs to have werebears.
Also, where are the wereboars?
We also need weresharks. Only then I would add this game to my extreme buy list.

wangtron5000

Aug 3, 2011
In Oblivion it was fun to goof off as a vampire, but a few times I had contracted it and didn't know untill I went to equip something. It got to be an annoyance to avoid. Also +1 vote for Werebears.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Agow95 said:
I hear that, especially as I never got to play GOTY morrowind. F*** the sparkly b******s! We wanna see some werewolves!

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
GiantRaven said:
Isn't Skyrim set in a cold, frozen region? I imagine that without lovely warm blood flowing through their bodies, Vampires might have a little trouble with freezing to un-death.
I don't think vampires are even undead in Elder Scrolls just infected people who can't be in sunlight unless they are the Cyrodiil clan. Being a vampire in Elder Scrolls is pretty damn bland, really.

Also, dear Bethesda. Please don't overhaul my characters facial features this time when I become a vampire.

Mar 30, 2010
Agow95 said:
Ninja'd by the first post. Damn.

So yeah, what I was gonna say was that I'm not particularly fussed about vampires. Becoming infected with lycanthropy whilst playing Daggerfall was what really hooked me on the TES franchise, and I was more than a little disappointed to see it dropped from Oblivion. Fingers crossed this time though, as I'm hoping because werewolves in Morrowind were found only in Nordic territories, Bethesda will have used that fairly blatant link to bring the wolves back in Skyrim.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Vampirism is always fun, but what I'm really hoping for is lycantrophy - preferably in several forms! Who doesn't want to play as a wereboar? Just once?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I remember I became a vampire in Oblivion, and when I wanted to get rid of it, I went to the Mage's guild but they wouldn't even talk to me. Turns out, when I was just joining every guild these was at once, I had stolen from a member of the guild and I had to find 50 of two kinds of plants before they would talk to me about curing me. I was like "Fuck that shit" and just dealed with being a vampire.