Terrorists Target Real-Life Nanotech Researchers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Terrorists Target Real-Life Nanotech Researchers

Terrorists have launched a bombing campaign against international nanotechnology research centers, warning that modified nanoviruses or "gray goo" have the potential to wipe out all life on Earth.

A Mexican terrorist group calling itself "Individuals Tending to Savagery" has unleashed a package bombing campaign against nanotech researchers around the world, sending mail bombs to institutions in Mexico, France, Spain and Chile. A number of people have been injured by the explosive devices, including two professors at the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Learning outside of Mexico City.

The group claims to be inspired by Ted Kaczynski, aka the Unabomber, who killed three people and wounded 23 others over a span of more than 20 years before his arrest in 1996. In a manifesto posted online, the group said it was targeting nanotechnology research out of fears that a "gray goo" caused by uncontrolled replication of nanomachines, or the release of a deadly nanovirus, could wipe out all life on Earth.

"When these modified viruses affect the way we live through a nano-bacteriological war, unleashed by some laboratory error or by the explosion of nano-pollution that affects the air, food, water, transport, in short the entire world, then all of those who defend nanotechnology and don't think it is a threat will realize that it was a grave error to let it grow out of control," it said.

If that sounds vaguely familiar, it's because the two doomsday scenarios are major plot points in the classic 2000 videogame Deus Ex: Invisible War [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Pc/dp/B00003OPES/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1314367902&sr=8-7]. In the original Deus Ex, the human race is being decimated by a man-made plague known as "Gray Death" while battles erupt around the world for control of a synthetic vaccine called "Ambrosia"; in Invisible War, the city of Chicago is destroyed by a "Nanite Detonator," a limited-growth gray goo bomb.

It's great fodder for sci-fi tales but not so much fun when people are being maimed and killed in real life. No attacks have taken place in the U.S. at this point but some universities have increased mail room security as a precaution and Mexico State Attorney General Alfredo Castillo recommended earlier this month that Mexican universities do the same.

Source: Times Union [http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Mexican-terrorists-target-nanotech-researchers-2138343.php]

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Protip;

Trying to bomb labs containing things you fear will escape due to error and etc,going out of your way to accidentally a whole containment field trying to stop them, makes you a complete and utter idiot.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Aw man, I'm gonna study nanotech...
It's true that nanobots can destroy the Earth if used for evil, but so much technology can say the same. I was hoping to use it to cure all diseases... I don't think terrorism is the way to get people to their cause.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
Oh, so this isn't a marketing ploy by Eidos?

...[small]Help![/small]

OT: Sounds bad. Terrorism doesn't seem like the way to go to put that point across, though...

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Nanotech COULD do that... I guess.

But with traditional antibiotics becoming less and less effective, cancer spreading rapidly and the next black-fucking-death probably being around the corner, I think that the odds of nanotech doing more good than harm is rather high.

I could be wrong though...

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
"we're afraid of this stuff destroying everything, so we're going to destroy the thing that holds it in a safe way"

logic: something that terrorists have in great abundance ¬_¬

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
XT inc said:
Protip;

Trying to bomb labs containing things you fear will escape due to error and etc,going out of your way to accidentally a whole containment field trying to stop them, makes you a complete and utter idiot.
Solid advice. Too bad people that thing bombing things like this is a good idea aren't the kind of people who read sites like this.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
The "terrorists" plan makes as much sense as firefighters literally using fire to fight fire.

(Man; what a repetitive sentence.)

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Jbird said:
The "terrorists" plan makes as much sense as firefighters literally using fire to fight fire.

(Man; what a repetitive sentence.)
technically they do for wildfires:
they set an area on fire in a controlled way, to make sure that when the uncontrolled fire reaches that point, it has no fuel and burns itself out.

to quote 8 bit theater: "Red mage is more likely to blow up the island, and declare it a success due to us technically not being on the island anymore"

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Now, they're obviously getting all their information solely through films and such, so they really should have paid attention. Although it's the research labs that create the nanobots, it's always, ALWAYS, the terrorists, weather for profit or environmentalist, that unleash them.

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
Its also the main antagonist for AT LEAST a quarter of the Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe tv series. Its like everywhere humanity goes someone dun fucked up and created self-replicating nano machine tech. Kinda like how every human civilization on Earth invented liquor, independently of each other.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
So this is what happens when people who watch too much science fiction, think they have to do something. Next thing, they're going to send bombs to Japan because of the robots. I hope they'll be stopped soon, so that no one else will be hurt because of their idiocy.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Stupid people are more likely to destroy the planet than nanobots. They probably didn't have enough envelopes though. And I have to agree with all of the clever bastards who posted it before me, but sending bombs to labs that you think contain the end of the world...really?

I wonder if they sent a mail-bomb to Loch Ness to prevent the Loch Ness Monster from turning in to some kind of super cyborg death beast. Because obviously that could happen.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Well, someone missed the Nanotech journal article that pointed out grey goo scenarios (and nanotech that might cause them) aren't possible with our current understanding of physics -.-

(You know, the one written by the chemist came up with the Grey Goo idea in the first place)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
XT inc said:
Protip;

Indeed. As much as micheal crichton's "prey" made me fear nanotech, this is the wrong way to try and control it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
You know, they could be right. Between CERN, Grey Goo, and bio-warfare, we're likely to finish ourselves off before the planet gets a chance. The only way we can be truly safe is if we stop all progress now.
Let's everybody just stop what we're working on and just watch tv and eat oreos.