Valve Debuts Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

The official Counter-Strike: Global Offensive launch trailer has been turned loose on the tubes.

Valve announced Counter-Strike [http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/], the team-based online shooter that PC gamers have been enjoying since 1999. The latest and greatest version of the game will add new modes of play, new weapons, more maps and improved visuals on the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Cross-platform play will also be supported, although due to difficulties in bringing Steamworks to the Xbox 360 it's currently limited to the PC, PlayStation 3 and Mac, and to ensure that console gamers don't get repeatedly whomped by the sharp reflexes and pinpoint precision of Team PC, the PS3 version of the game will support mouse and keyboard setups as well as the standard game controller.

Valve obviously isn't reinventing the wheel here but given the game's remarkable longevity, a little polish and a coat of paint is probably all it needs for a successful multi-platform release anyway. There's no disputing its popularity among PC gamers - Valve claims the series has already sold 25 million copies - but it'll be fun to see how it fares in a console market dominated by franchises like Halo [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Playstation-3/dp/B00269QLH4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314383675&sr=8-2]. If the Xbox 360 can be brought under the cross-platform tent, I'll expect very big things indeed.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is expected to be out in early 2012 but since this is Valve we're talking about, you might want to mark that on your calendar with a pencil.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Yeah... I dont think that this is a smart move, they are basicly just dividing the community, a lot of players wont move for this one since they loose a lot of costum maps and gamemodes. The guys that will be ok with it are the new comers and those guys that only played de_dust2.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I saw it last night and it looks quite interesting indeed. Although, I'd like to watch a bit more from it, just to be sure how it's turning out to be.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My only real concern is custom maps and servers. Will the PS3 be able to support these?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
josemlopes said:
Yeah... I dont think that this is a smart move, they are basicly just dividing the community, a lot of players wont move for this one since they loose a lot of costum maps and gamemodes. The guys that will be ok with it are the new comers and those guys that only played de_dust2.
It's an updated engine of source so all of these gamemodes and other goodies could easily be ported to CS:Go. And depending on how much it will cost, or if it will be packaged with say, HL2:EP3 :p, I can say without any doubt it will have the same success CS:S is currently enjoying despite it's lack of popularity when it was released. CS:S was awful on the earlier version of the source engine.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
josemlopes said:
You could say the same thing was a big risk with releasing CS:Source, and a lot of people didn't migrate right away. It didn't stop CS:Source from being quite popular though, and original CS still had a big following and plenty of active servers for years (note that I haven't played the original in probably three years so I don't know what the state of its popularity is like now).

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Andy Chalk said:

The official Counter-Strike: Global Offensive launch trailer has been turned loose on the tubes.

Valve announced Counter-Strike [http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/], the team-based online shooter that PC gamers have been enjoying since 1999. The latest and greatest version of the game will add new modes of play, new weapons, more maps and improved visuals on the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Cross-platform play will also be supported, although due to difficulties in bringing Steamworks to the Xbox 360 it's currently limited to the PC, PlayStation 3 and Mac, and to ensure that console gamers don't get repeatedly whomped by the sharp reflexes and pinpoint precision of Team PC, the PS3 version of the game will support mouse and keyboard setups as well as the standard game controller.

Valve obviously isn't reinventing the wheel here but given the game's remarkable longevity, a little polish and a coat of paint is probably all it needs for a successful multi-platform release anyway. There's no disputing its popularity among PC gamers - Valve claims the series has already sold 25 million copies - but it'll be fun to see how it fares in a console market dominated by franchises like Halo [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Playstation-3/dp/B00269QLH4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314383675&sr=8-2]. If the Xbox 360 can be brought under the cross-platform tent, I'll expect very big things indeed.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is expected to be out in early 2012 but since this is Valve we're talking about, you might want to mark that on your calendar with a pencil.

Looks like you found the trailer yourself. Sorry, I was busy.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
AC10 said:
My only real concern is custom maps and servers. Will the PS3 be able to support these?
consoles will onlysupport 5v5 ranked matches, pc gets that and keeps all the other things it had on the past

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
HavoK 09 said:
AC10 said:
consoles will onlysupport 5v5 ranked matches, pc gets that and keeps all the other things it had on the past
Well, that works for me!
Thanks for the info :)

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
More maps? Everyone will play de_dust and de_dust2 exclusively anyway.
Come on, tell me it's not true!

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
I can't wait for this to come out. The counter-strike style of shooters is so damn great on it's own, it might as well be perfect. Valve knows this and that's why they're making this iteration alongside the other two that get 50k+ of people to play everyday with no sign of slowing. Some days the 1999 version has more players and it alternates daily.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Counter-Strike 1.4 or 1.5 was the first online game I had ever played and I'm still playing source, not as much as I used to though. I've been playing Counter-Strike for nearly half of my life, so this makes me really excited. It will probably only cost between $10 and $20, so I'm definitely going to buy it, but I have to try it out first before I decide whether I'm going to switch to cs:go or stick to source.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
I am excited for this! Not only was CS my game of choice as a tot, but this may herald an era of more cross-platform games. I thought it would never happen because Sony and Microsoft would be too averse to risking their corporate interests, but lo and behold, they surprise me. Now I'll be able to play with my PC gamer friends! ...Hopefully, someday, my 360-playing friends.

I can dream, anyway.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I never played a Counter-Strike game before in my life. Now that it's coming for the PS3 i might be interested after a while.

I guess that's just how it goes when you've grown up with shitty computers all around you that would chug if you tried making them run Solitaire. (Obviouslly i exaggurate, but you get the idea)

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Cross-Platform gaming just isn't going to work. Any console players are going to get absolutely destroyed by all PC players. It's as simple as that.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I was hoping for a thread about hats, the Escapist community has really let me down. :)

While I never played CS I knew Valve would take a stab at a second eventually, I'm actually rather surprised they held out this long.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
josemlopes said:
Given Sony's fairly open attitude towards Steamworks, I'll bet PS3 CS will allow downloading of compatible maps after a few updates, if not then a lot of PS3 players are going to be moving on rapidly.

I bet plenty will get this, there's a huge number of players that play both 1.6 and Source (I'm one of them) because the games are subtly different and play as such. Mods, communities, maps and skins will rapidly spring up once players get their hands on it.

Plus, since Origin's monitoring software came to light I'm hurtin' for a new shooter, it sure as hell won't be BF3 now...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
For me, CS reached its pinnacle with 1.5, cant top that, even source was sketchy at best.

Well, looks like I wont be buying Counter Strike: Modern Warfa, Black Op, Bad Compa............thing