PAX 2011: Setting Free to Play on Firefall

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
PAX 2011: Setting Free to Play on Firefall

Firefall delivers unique free to play MMOFPS gameplay.

After pulling the curtains off the title last PAX Prime, Red 5 Studios finally let gamers get their hands on Firefall at PAX Prime today. The goal is to offer a fully-featured MMO using modern shooter mechanics like class loadouts with a free to play business model. As CEO Mark Kern promised [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9013-Evolve-or-Die], Firefall isn't some cheapass fly-by-night free to play P.O.S. I found the environments, enemies and models all spectacular, and the open world, instanced PvP, questing, economic and army (read: guilds) systems as described by executive producer James Macauley sound intriguing. When Firefall launches as planned this December, the gaming industry will finally see if giving away a high production value MMO coupled with microtranscations can be as lucrative as monthly fees. And if you don't care about all that money talk, I can at least say that Firefall is a blast to play.

"We're super excited about changing up the way you think about free to play," Macauley said. "We're going big. We're revolutionizing what free to play means. We're offering a AAA world-class game to the market absolutely free. There will be no DLC, you won't have to pay to play on a map that your friend is on."

[gallery=444]

Macauley believes that the number one reason people play MMOs is because their friends are playing. To that end, Firefall will not operate on several different shards of the same world, preventing gamers on different servers from playing together. "We don't want barriers to play with your friends," he said. "That starts with making the game free to play and it continues with making the install experience super fast. We have a lightweight installer so you can get in the game quickly and then we stream in textures and art in the background."

Firefall is set in a sci-fi universe, so that frees up the shooter gameplay to be full of kinetic action. Each character has a jetpack on a short burn, which adds a vertical dimension to firefights. The abilities of each class - assault, medic, recon, and engineer are currently announced - are not boring boosts to damage, but rather ways to change the battle's positioning. For example, the assault build has an afterburn ability which allows him to close distances faster even while in the air.

The recon class has a neat toy called the teleport beacon. You can toss this small object on the ground and start running or even jumping off a cliff. In five seconds, when the beacon's timer is up, you will instantly teleport back to where you threw the beacon. If you pull it off, "you can actually flank the guy that's chasing you," Macauley said.

In Firefall, characters will still level up just like in most MMOs but the game doesn't restrict you to a certain class. You can always switch up your class and loadouts at the battleframe stations found in settlements and most spawn points. Loot works similarly in that it drops off creatures, but you can only equip new weapons and modules at forge stations. Modules provide mechanical boosts to your weapons and your backpack, the mundane name for the unlicensed nuclear reactor on your back.

Scientists of 24th century Earth in which Firefall takes place have discovered a way to provide clean energy with cold fusion by using a material called crystite, making this mineral the major currency in the game. How do you get crystite? Well, it can drop off mobs in small quantities, but the real profits are in thumping.

A thumper is a deployable mining machine that extracts crystite from nodes in the world. The catch is that the vibrations the thumper makes attracts all creatures in the area and in order to get a return on your investment - deploying the thumper costs crystite of course - you must defend it from attack. That mechanic makes simple resource gathering a whole subgame in itself as you'll probably want to have a few army-mates with you to beat back the alien hordes.

When Macauley mentioned armies, I asked if that was what Firefall called guilds. "They are guilds plus plus. Armies have the social aspects of guilds - you can see who's online, chat with your guildmates - but you have shared stats as an army," Macauley said. "On top of that you have an army tech tree where you can collect resources as a team and spend those on unlocking things like a personal vehicle."

Wait, there's vehicles? Yes, there are, but Red 5 hasn't finalized how they will work yet. Macauley couldn't divulge any more secrets on whether vehicles will function like mounts in other MMOs or be consumables like in online shooters. I suppose we'll find out more in the coming months.

Once I got my hands on playing Firefall, all fears that it wouldn't live up to the production standards of modern games was banished. The area I spawned in was called Copacabana - Have a banana, Mr. Manilow - and it once was a beach resort town. Now, it was being invaded by a Chosen ship that rained down dropships that spawned some nasty creatures. I had the choice of participating in this random world event, or ignoring it and going about my business. Of course, if every player ignores such an invasion, the merchants, transports and NPCs in Copacabana will become unavailable until enough players fight off the invasion.

I chose to fight the aliens and tried my hand at a few classes. The recon is rewarded for sniping, so I used my jetpack to get up to higher ground and rain down proximity mines using one of my abilities. I was able to take out quite a few aliens before they got the drop on me, so I switched to the assault class and blasted at them with my plasma cannon. The secondary fire of the plasma cannon sends 9 shards of energy like a shotgun blast, and that let me mow down the nasty buggers. The combat does indeed feel dynamic and vertical just Macauley said it would - I was constantly jumping and firing my jetpack to get an advantageous position.

There's a lot of depth to Firefall, and I applaud the dedication to only offering purchasable items that add to convenience. "There's no way to buy an 'I Win' button," Macauley said. Instead, Red 5 will sell aesthetic items like armor colors and hairstyles, and boosts to resource gathering. The thumping mentioned earlier, for example, could gather more resources if I had paid a couple bucks, but I still have to play out defending it from attackers.

I liked that even if I pay money into the game, I still will have to play it to get ahead. Hopefully for Red 5, other players will like it too when Firefall fully opens its doors in December.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'm just...
I like co-op and all a lot, but I'm really not so much for defend-the-thing-sitting-in-the-open scenarios, like what this game seems to be setting up. Still, it shouldn't make me that put off. I want to be excited about it, but something's just making me hesitant.

Perhaps its 'cause I really didn't like the Antlions in HL2...

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'm starting to see a new trend of Free-to-play games such as the upcoming End of NAtions MMO RTS and i've got to say i'm starting to take a liking to this on the grounds that that EON actually offers the full game and everything with it and comes clean by saying everything that comes with the game is totally free and included and does not promote a "pay-to-win" system.

One i give EON a try i may actually buy into a few micro transactions since i do love my RTS's and i may do the same with Firefall.

JBWill

Aug 27, 2011
I've been following this game for awhile, and I can honestly say I've never been as excited for any game. The gameplay is hella good (played it at PAX East and it blew me away), I love the graphics, the team is amazing (team lead from WoW, lead designer of Tribes, author of Ender's Game). Cannot wait to get my hands on this again.

Alistair_Darkheart

Dec 20, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Well, I'm definitely curious. The game sounds like its coming out good, and as long as nothing changes for the cash shop, I'll definitely give it a shot. The biggest killer for any Online game for me, is a stupid cash shop. F2P or not, if you can buy power and permanent stat buffs, I'm not interested.
Totally agree with this, though I'm also worried that it won't live upto expectations. The more I hear of it the more I like the sound of it... but that also makes me fearful of just how they'll screw it up in the end :(.

There are very few games I've been this excited for that haven't disapointed me come release, infact most of the games I end up enjoying most are the ones I hear very little about until release time.

Alistair.

iancoves

Aug 27, 2011
Excited to see this actually happen and blow everyone with negative F2P stereotypes, out of the water. Firefall will only get better as Red5 are committed to bringing the players what they want and have stated that community ideas are already in-game. Simply can't wait to play with beta opening up after PAX and release late this year.

hoder

Aug 27, 2011
I've met the devs at GamesCom a week ago and it's really nice to see them really happy about the game and the way they plan to market it. They studied the Eastern markets a lot and looked at how to F2P right, if they stick to their word (I have faith in it :D) I believe this could be newest, biggest, most awesome game since a long time.

FPS genre really needed a fresh wind and I feel firefall can provide this. This want to push e-sports in pvp so balance is really important to them, but at the same they reinvented open world coop pve. A shooter+ that is free to play and no power for money? Check this one out for sure!

SoulOfOrigin

Aug 27, 2011
The game looks really awesome, I'll definately play it. Especially the PVE open world with dynamic events sounds interesting for me. The PVP also looks really nice, and I love the involvement of the devs on the forums. In most games, you pretty much never see the devs talking on the forums, but on the firefall forums they just post on it every day :p

SoulOfOrigin

Aug 27, 2011
The game looks really awesome, I'll definately play it. Especially the PVE open world with dynamic events sounds interesting for me. The PVP also looks really nice, and I love the involvement of the devs on the forums. In most games, you pretty much never see the devs talking on the forums, but on the firefall forums they just post on it every day :p

EDIT: sorry for double post, was an accident

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
hoder said:
FPS genre really needed a fresh wind and I feel firefall can provide this. This want to push e-sports in pvp so balance is really important to them, but at the same they reinvented open world coop pve. A shooter+ that is free to play and no power for money? Check this one out for sure!
Heheh and here I thought it was MMO genres that really needed a fresh wind, given on a personal experience belief that I was getting sick and tired of seeing the same thing in MMORPGs as of lately, but hey if it can seen as a fresh wind for both FPS and MMO elements then that's a major plus.

Its good to hear the game spoken in high regard from the Escapist. After all, this is the website responsible for bringing the game to my attention from last year's PAX and since then I have been sticking with it the entire time. Red 5 has attracted and shaped a community that I am proud to be a part of. That speaks volumes since I have never said such a thing before. XD

Al Coholic

Aug 27, 2011
I am so friggin' excited for Firefall. It's gonna be a pretty badass game. Can't wait to see it rock the free to play world. Not sure I will have time to play any other games for a year or so after it comes out.

Watch out for that Kern guy, though, I heard he's a vampire!

AlX223

Aug 27, 2011
It is nice to see an article where the person goes in suspicious then comes out blown away. It makes it sound like Red5 is actually doing what they say unlike some other developers. I'm looking forward to the game even more now, I hope to see more information/gameplay sometime soon.

kilL8

Aug 27, 2011
i heard from firefall first on rockpapershotgun.com a while back. didn't really know what it was all about... i learned a bit about it and got totally psyched.

it may just be the game i've been waiting for since my absence to shooters and my world of warcraft addiction. :)

coincedentally the ceo of red5studio was the team lead of world of warcraft. :D

FireWater

Aug 27, 2011
FireFall will be a revolution in PC Gaming. This is exactly what the FPS community needs today.

So what is everyone excited most about FireFall. Me Personally is the support for eSports and the PvP combat was amazing. At PAX East I mid-air cratered one of the devs in a Dev vs. Community match. (we lost 25-7 I think)

So what are you guys pumped about?

Manuito

Aug 27, 2011
I completely agree, this is the first shooter++ ever produced. eSports and an open world combined, the promise of constantly updated content by a team of Devs that want to have us playing Firefall for many years; this is not Unreal Tornament or Quake, this is a mix of many different types of games that we are really going to enjoy.

Now... we need more videos from PAX, we need to see the open world and the engineer!

Bryan Bear

Mar 30, 2011
Can't way to play this game, seems exciting.

Also what's with these one post accounts posting in here?

JBWill

Aug 27, 2011
Start date for the Firefall beta was JUST confirmed to be this Tuesday, August 30th! :D

FireWater

Aug 27, 2011
Manuito said:
I completely agree, this is the first shooter++ ever produced. eSports and an open world combined, the promise of constantly updated content by a team of Devs that want to have us playing Firefall for many years; this is not Unreal Tornament or Quake, this is a mix of many different types of games that we are really going to enjoy.

Now... we need more videos from PAX, we need to see the open world and the engineer!
Livestream up at http://www.twitch.tv/r5studios

Also

The Devs have done a great job of Marketting the game. Its not traditional models, they are going to every con possible.