Madden Cover Athlete Shrugs Off Curse

RossRaymondEdwards

Aug 3, 2011
Madden Cover Athlete Shrugs Off Curse

Already coping with the bad karma of playing for a pro sports team in Cleveland, Peyton Hillis says he's not worried about becoming the next in a long line of jinxed athletes.

The 25-year-old Browns running back graces the box art of Madden 12, but shrugged off talk that previous cover athletes have been cursed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94644-The-Madden-Curse-Strikes-Again] by the honor.

"I really don't care what people think," Hillis told The Associated Press, referring to the curse and his doubters in general. "I'm a guy who is going to go out there and do his best, and I'm a guy who has always gone out there and proved people wrong. I'm not worried about it and I've never been worried about a curse."

Whether or not you buy into the notion of a hex, there's no denying the uncanny trend of athletes suffering disappointing seasons after being featured on the Madden cover, either due to injury or decreased production. The curse has had long-term implications as well, including Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick's jail sentence for his role [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108901-PETA-Wants-Michael-Vick-Dropped-From-Madden-NFL-Cover-Vote] in a dogfighting ring, as well as retired QB Brett Favre's embarrassing sexting scandal.

Hillis beat out Vick in a nationwide vote of more than 16 million fans to earn the honor this year. Vick, meanwhile, can at least take solace in the six-year, $100 million contract he agreed to with the Eagles Monday.

The Browns running back handed out advance copies of the latest Madden to his coaches and teammates during Sunday's practice, where Hillis admitted he's not exactly a hardcore gamer.

"I was never a very big video guy, but it's kind of cool," he said. "I wouldn't say it's one of my hobbies, no."

It may seem unfair that the Browns, a couple of whom voiced lackluster attitudes toward videogames, got their hands on Madden 12 two days before everyone else. Given last year's 5-11 record, however, it's probably the only chance they'll get this season to brag about being first.

Source: The Associated Press

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Wait, did I miss when EA switched from "Let's put people who were in the Super Bowl on the cover" to "Let's let the community decide!"

Anyways, I'm almost 100% sure SOMETHING will happen to him, then the curse will go on. I mean, he's a running back. He's as likely to get hurt running through a subway tunnel as run into a crowd of 300+-lb guys blocking and tackling each other.

Perhaps Eagles fans should be glad Vick isn't on the cover.

EDIT:
RossRaymondEdwards said:
cursed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94644-The-Madden-Curse-Strikes-Again]
It feels kinda odd looking through the comments on this article; a lot of them are by people who have been banned. Sorry, just thought it was kinda wierd, like looking through a museum...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Vick won out in the end. he's got a 100 mil franchise tag, and 40 mil guaranteed, which is amazing since he's never won a super bowl (though admittedly he does have really good seasons). Besides, his Madden curse was breaking hsi leg in pre season. Come on, lets get this stuff right people.

Now, I'm going to preference this post before I go in. Im a pittsburgh guy. I'm bred, built, born, and raised to hate Cleveland and Philly (both of whom use the color of failure (orange, for those that dont know) in at least one of their major sports teams). So already, I cant stand teh guy, and personally if he had his career ended this season, I would and could only applaud.

Now, already he's suffered fromt he curse. hes on the FUCKING browns. Thats basically your right to commit suicide (just like if you're on the raiders). However, he could have an amazing season and still not make the playoffs because, in the end, you're a Browns player. Which in the end, means that you will fail.

I'm pretty sure cracked even said you guys would.

<spoiler=In fact, here is it>
These days Cleveland has the dubious honor of being called the "most tortured sports city" in the United States, due to championship droughts from all of their teams. But the Browns seem to have gotten the worst of it. They haven't won or even appeared in another championship game since their last win in 1964 with Jim Brown, and worse, have only managed to win six playoff games in 44 years.

<url=http://www.cracked.com/article_17209_6-insane-sports-stories-that-will-make-you-believe-in-curses_p2.html#ixzz1WXgBKCWc>Source

and many more.

EDIT:

RossRaymondEdwards said:
cursed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94644-The-Madden-Curse-Strikes-Again]
Reading this, its funny to see that in actuality, troy is still one of the biggest names in the NFL and one of (if not the) best players at his position.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
fi6eka said:
Why are people still buying these games?They are paying 60$ for an expansion pack.Come on people!
Same reason people are still buying CoD I guess.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
Vick won out in the end. he's got a 100 mil franchise tag, and 40 mil guaranteed, which is amazing since he's never won a super bowl (though admittedly he does have really good seasons). Besides, his Madden curse was breaking hsi leg in pre season. Come on, lets get this stuff right people.

Now, I'm going to preference this post before I go in. Im a pittsburgh guy. I'm bred, built, born, and raised to hate Cleveland and Philly (both of whom use the color of failure (orange, for those that dont know) in at least one of their major sports teams). So already, I cant stand teh guy, and personally if he had his career ended this season, I would and could only applaud.

Now, already he's suffered fromt he curse. hes on the FUCKING browns. Thats basically your right to commit suicide (just like if you're on the raiders). However, he could have an amazing season and still not make the playoffs because, in the end, you're a Browns player. Which in the end, means that you will fail.

These days Cleveland has the dubious honor of being called the "most tortured sports city" in the United States, due to championship droughts from all of their teams. But the Browns seem to have gotten the worst of it. They haven't won or even appeared in another championship game since their last win in 1964 with Jim Brown, and worse, have only managed to win six playoff games in 44 years.

<url=http://www.cracked.com/article_17209_6-insane-sports-stories-that-will-make-you-believe-in-curses_p2.html#ixzz1WXgBKCWc>Source

and many more.
Woot another Steelers fan. I'm up in Western New York so I have to suffer through all the Bills fans, which isn't much better than Browns fans. I swear, the Bills have been in a "rebuilding" phase since Jim Kelly left.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Football players get hurt all the time I wouldn't chalk it up to a curse at all. That's exactly what it comes down to though; whenever the slightest misfortune happens to Peyton Hillis people are just going to say "IT'S THE MADDEN CURSE! SEE!"

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Jodah said:
emeraldrafael said:

and many more.
Woot another Steelers fan. I'm up in Western New York so I have to suffer through all the Bills fans, which isn't much better than Browns fans. I swear, the Bills have been in a "rebuilding" phase since Jim Kelly left.
Oh we're everywhere. There's a reason we're called Steeler NATION. there's quite a few of us on thsi site.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Interestingly I have heard reports that Peyton Manning refuses to do the cover because he believes in the curse. Just a neat little rumor I've heard.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
There have been over 12 games in this series, and the only serious change since 2003 has been the names.
I guess I can't blame football fans for buying football games. It's like blaming muscleheads for working out, or getting upset at the earth for orbiting. I personally have never bought Madden and never will, but far be it from me to stop other people. At least you're playing games indoors like good kids and you're not out on the street playing two hand touch or flag football.

It seems the only things that are certain are death and Madden.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think I read somewhere that those who play online are forced to buy the newer versions because the online hosting for the older ones get cut off after the new one comes out.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I'd like to see one of the best players get his chance on the cover in Adrian Peterson... but the curse... is less avoidable than tacklers in the open field.

The Vikes have been fortunate enough to keep him healthy for all these years even with his massively aggressive running style. I don't wanna add any more risk that doesn't directly help the team do better.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I've considered buying a Madden game, keep in mind I've never bought one before and would probably only buy the latest one because I do watch NFL and would like to play with the same guys I see making plays on TV.

I highly doubt I'd buy another after that, I don't tend to repeat on games.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
qwerty19411 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Awexsome said:
... Adrian Peterson... ...
Wasnt he the one that said something about the owners treating the players like slaves?
Lot of things were said during the lockout to gain leverage on both sides.
I'm pretty sure that that in particular stands out, seeing as how he makes millions upon millions of dollars and probably has no idea what it was actually like to even feasbily consider being a slave. I hope he never gets a cover, just for that statement.

then again I hope Rashard Mendenhall doesnt get on the cover for his states about osama.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
fi6eka said:
Why are people still buying these games?They are paying 60$ for an expansion pack.Come on people!
Actually, the amount of work that goes into these games is surprising. People who say sports games haven't evolved in the past decade are ignorant to say the least. What do you expect them to innovate? The game has to follow a set of real life rules.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Oh my, my, my. Looks like we got ourselves a non-believer, boys.

By season's end, he'll believe. Then again, the Browns themselves are already cursed [http://www.cracked.com/article_17209_6-insane-sports-stories-that-will-make-you-believe-in-curses_p2.html] so maybe this'll cancel out the previous curse.