LucasFilms Confirms adding "NOOOOOO!" to Return of the Jedi

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
LucasFilms Confirms adding "NOOOOOO!" to Return of the Jedi

For the upcoming Blu-Ray release of the Star Wars films, George Lucas has shat upon his own work - again.

If I learned anything from watching Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, it's that Darth Vader is corrupt. He is evil all the way to his mechanized core. Despite Vader's son entreating him to see the good inside him in Return of the Jedi, it is too late for him. That is, until Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, is forced to watch his only son be tortured to death by the Emperor who corrupted him. There is no audible reaction, but Lord Vader is overcome by the man he used to be and suddenly rebels against his former master, tossing the frail body still emitting lightning into the Death Star core where it finally explodes. The silent, stoic, selfless act is Anakin Skywalker's last, all the more potent because of it required no dialogue.

Until now.

For the Blu-Ray release of all six films of bearing the name Star Wars coming out on September 15th, Mr. George Lucas has once again changed a few things. Loyal fans may remember the addition of plot and character changing images such as Greedo shooting first and young Hayden Christensen appearing as a ghost at the end of Jedi when Lucas reissued the Special Edition of his films.

The Blu-Rays change even more, the most egregious being Vader uttering, "No. NOOOOOO!" right before he betrays Emperor Palpatine. The video above shows the change, which was confirmed by a representative at LucasArts via email to the New York Times: "Yes - Darth says NO."

I get it. I get that Lucas can't help tinkering with his films. He must hate the backlash that the "NOOOOOOOO!" [http://darthno.ytmnd.com/] received from the end of Revenge of the Sith and he wants to make it work thematically by calling it back (forward?) in Jedi.

But come the fuck on, George. Please stop. You obviously don't understand how you made great films in the 70s & 80s if you keep making these changes. What's next? You add Jar Jar Binks to the cantina scene, or re-record Alec Guinness's dialogue in Star Wars to include midi-chlorians?

This further proves that Lucas only made the original Star Wars films by accident. I now officially regret pre-ordering the blu-ray sex-ology back in January. I was going to give the prequels another shot ... maybe they weren't as bad as I had thought ... well, screw that.

Source: New York Times [http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/lucasfilm-confirms-change-to-blu-ray-release-of-return-of-the-jedi/?scp=1&sq=lucas+films&st=cse]

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
I cannot sigh enough..
Ep 1,2&3 are a cancer spreading to 4,5 & 6.. I fear it has not long left in this world.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wow. I never really planned on buying them anyway, but WOW. Kind of glad right now.

Is Lucas trying to see how horrible he can make the movies and still sell them?

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Someone needs to get the rights away from him, his incessant tinkering is getting really old. Its like he looks at the fans and thinks to himself "what can I do to piss off my legions of fans to the point where they stop buying up all the merchandise".

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
I posted this here, yesterday.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.310196-George-Lucas-fucking-with-Star-wars-again

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
It is official, George is just out to troll the fans now, all there is to it.

There is no other explanation that I can really give.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
...Please tell me there will be an option to see the original unaltered version in the blu ray pack

...please?

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
George Lucas needs to be stripped of all rights he has to the Star Wars franchise.

He also added a new scream in Episode IV, that Obi-wan does to scare off the Sand people. It is hilarious and adds nothing to the movie.

Seriously, someone needs to sue him for the rights of Star Wars and everything having to do with it.

jamart

Feb 16, 2011
George could at least buy us dinner...
I mean, I don't know about you...
but I like to be wined and dined before I'm FU**ED!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Are the theatrical releases of the original three out on DVD or Blu Ray?

I've got 'em on VHS, but VHS is fragile.

PS, reading about the making of Star Wars, it becomes pretty clear that everyone else made Star Wars in spite of George Lucas. How about we all pool together and hire a hit man or fifty? Come on guys, let's do the world a favour!

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
uppitycracker said:
all i can say in response to this is.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
I second this.

No.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Cut that man some slack. He at least felt some sort of guilt for releasing the movies AGAIN, so that some part of him felt like doing some actual work...

Of course at this point his work is no longer a thing people want to pay for.

Maybe we should consider to start to pay Lucas for doing nothing.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Wow. I actually watched that clip, thinking, "Just adding a NOOO couldn't really affect that scene that much. How bad could it be?"

It ruined the whole scene.

I am disappoint.