PAX 2011: The Darkness II Tightens Up

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PAX 2011: The Darkness II Tightens Up

When I played The Darkness II at PAX East back in March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108439-PAX-East-2011-The-Darkness-2-Hands-on-Preview], I thought it was a ripping good time, so I was a bit confused when 2k urged me to play the demo again at PAX Prime. It was the exact same sequence I'd already played through and enjoyed, so I didn't understand why they wanted me to revisit my time with Jackie Estacado. "It's better," they said. "Just go try it." So I did.

And you know, they were right. It really is better.

The controls have gotten some pretty serious tweaking, which makes using all of the weapons at Jackie's disposal - guns and demon arms alike - far easier. Left and right guns are controlled with the triggers, while the shoulder bumpers control the demon arms. At PAX East, I died more than once during the sequence when Jackie has to shoot his way out of a burning restaurant, but chalked my wonky aim up to my own sorry skill. This time around, I was pulling off head shots with ease, as the aiming felt more tightly tuned and responsive.

Using Jackie's demon arms to grab would-be javelins and hurl them through unsuspecting foes was also a lot easier - but still just as satisfying. I suppose it's possible that impaling bad guys will lose its charm at some point ... but not probable. Skewering someone with a parking meter that I've just ripped out of the ground consistently causes me to cackle with wicked glee.

So controlling Jackie's two gun hands and two wiggly demonic arms is far more precise in this new version of The Darkness II, which makes the combat more fluid and fun. The tighter controls also encouraged me to switch between combat methods more frequently, rather than simply relying on whatever seemed to be working at the time. I'd shoot an enemy to soften him up, then rip him apart with my demon arms. Or grab a car door to use as a shield, then fling it across the street to slice someone in half.

The other big overhaul to the demo was the game's visuals, which have been given a Borderlands-esque paint job. I was told this was to pay homage to The Darkness II's comic book roots, but I rather doubt that. When we first saw the game at GDC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/gdc_2011/8705-The-Darkness-2-First-Look], Lead Designer Tom Galt referred to the visual style as "graphic noir" and said, "We want it to feel like you're playing a graphic novel." But earlier versions of the game used the same realistic aesthetic as the first game. It seems far more likely that the graphical overhaul is a result of dissatisfaction with the look of The Darkness II than it is with acknowledging the source material, but the end result is the same: This new version of The Darkness II looks slick and stylish, and is now far more visually interesting than it was the last time I played it.

My enthusiasm for The Darkness II has been cranked up yet another notch. Sadly, we still have a bit of a wait before we can start eating those hearts. Originally slated for a Fall release, The Darkness II is now due out February 7, 2012.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
You know what? If the other reports are true and that there is indeed "quad-wielding" in this game, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this. I mean, who DOESN'T want to shoot 4 guns with demonic arms at people?

That's right, a lot of people, but you get my point...

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Can i impale a car door with a parking meter, rip the door off the car, then launch it at someone?

Ive been really looking forward to this game. The first "The Darkness" was masterful. Highly underrated for it time. A cult classic of video games. And hearing that the controls are nice and tight only makes me plead for its sequel more.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
As long as I can still wonder subways and talk to harmonica players, I'm in.

Since it sounds like the combat is well-off.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
I played the demo at Gamescom a few weeks back. It was a fun time, controls were fluent and mutilating your opponents was always satisfying. It's solely a gameplay trailer, though, if you ask me. There's some story bits in there but they were so little and in-between that it's not really going to help you find out if there's anything to like about the parts where you don't get to shoot or slice people. I'm still hoping for the best though :D

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Wow a game journalist who actually talks about how a game feels to play! We don't get nearly enough of that recently. Glad to hear the game is coming along well. I had a fantastic time with the first game, and still maintain it is one of the most emotional games of this current generation. I'm also glad to hear the graphics have been overhauled. The look of the graphics up until now were pretty bad I have to say. They looked like a haf-arsed attempt at mimicking a comic book, but in a way that looked like it was only there to hide laziness in graphical programming than creating a comic book feel. It's good to know that's fixed now. That said I always liked the visual style of the first game and I think that probably fits the feel of the game better. But I'm just going on my experience of that, I've never read the comics. I wasn't even aware it was a comic until after I got the game.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
I was a big fan of the first game, Kourrichi above is correct in saying that it was under-rated for it's time. Will someone wield the abilities of the Angelus is multiplayer though?