Bethesda: The Elder Scrolls Won't Become an MMO

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Bethesda: The Elder Scrolls Won't Become an MMO

Bethesda says there's only room for one hero in the Elder Scrolls universe, and that hero is you alone.

The Elder Scrolls games seem to have every ingredient needed to bake a sweet MMO: A massive, immersive world, a well-defined stable of anthropomorphized species, recognizable style, and a gigantic fan-base from which to extract copious amounts of money. Bethesda (or at least its game director, Todd Howard), however, apparently isn't too keen on making the jump.

Despite MMO rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104486-Rumor-Bethesda-Working-on-Elder-Scrolls-MMO] last year claiming exactly the opposite, Howard has come forward in an interview with Joystiq explaining why The Elder Scrolls is only interested in the "M" standing for "Massive."

"I like this kind of game better," he said. "You know, it's what most of us are into. I'm not really an MMO guy. I respect them, I look at them, but I don't play them. It feels more real to me when I'm the hero and it's crafted for that. A community aspect to it, I recognize a lot of people would want that in a game like this, but it changes the flavor for me."

"The audience we have for our kind of thing is big enough that we don't have to tone it down," he continued. "We can just do our thing, and it's kind of grown with each game. So there was no pressure from anybody above me to say 'Hey, you need to change this.'"

It's always nice to hear that some developers still champion player experience over a quick and dirty bonus cash in. That isn't to say that all MMOs are the product of greed, but we've all been privy to the recent onslaught of "multiplayer because we can" additions to already well-designed standalone single-player experiences. It's impossible to say whether Bethesda would be able to pull off an Elder Scrolls MMO if it actually tried, but with Skyrim just around the corner, now's not the time to be whining about not having enough trolls to stab. Even if you're already planning to flay Alduin the World Eater in one sitting, would you really be satisfied with the inevitable inclusion of "kill 15 imps for 15 samples of imp gall" collection quests anyway?

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/todd-howard-on-skyrims-worthwhile-glitches-mmos-and-when-big-i/]

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I for one am glad (and not surprised), there will always be a place for single player games. Don't always want to meet up with 300 others for a game.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I still wish they would enable some sort of co-op, shouldn't be that hard to do. Wondering around by yourself can get old.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Glad to hear it.... It's good to see some developers not jumping on the MMO bandwagon, even when they have an IP capable of doing so.

I'm hoping Skyrim revitalizes my love for TES.... it's good that I'll be able to play it without a bunch of other Dragonborns running around ruining the experience.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Sure, I guess it is for the good. But you still have to wonder, what if?

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
While I agree that the Elder Scrolls are best suited for the single player experience one can only dream about co-oping with a friend or two through some creature infested ruins from time to time.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Glad to hear it but I would pay good money for local co op in Skyrim.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Well, you have to admit, if Bethesda DID make a MMO, it would be so much better than the cookie-cutter MMOs we often get...

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Could you at least make it co-op?
Who doesnt want to go dragon hunting with a friend?
Or having someone stupid who you take advantage of follow you around as a pack mule? ((Whom you call friend))

Im glad companions are becoming part of the game, but id say SOD IT for online co-op.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
The rumours where bull shit anyway, they confirmed this time and time again that there was not going to be an MMO.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Likewise. I'd pay double the price, easily, so my partner and I could have some LAN co-op.

But Todd Howard doesn't actually say there'll never be an Elder Scrolls MMO. If you read closely what he says, he just says he doesn't like MMOs, and has no interest in making them. Bethesda itself doesn't work on MMOs, they have a new studio set up, completely separate, that's working on their secret MMO.

So this isn't really a denial of anything. Todd Howard isn't working on the secret Bethesda MMO anyhow.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
It's not a WRPG!

It's an MRPG.
It is too a WRPG. Wumbo Role-Playing Game!

In all seriousness, HOORAY! I (hopefully) won't have to worry about bitching about The Elder Scrolls for having turned MMO! It's great to hear that single-player games can still exist within a cauldron of features found in MMOs! There's still a chance ESVI will be an MMO but I'll happily take V for now. It'll keep me from skulking about Old Republic being an MMO for a little while if nothing else.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
This, very much so. I was hoping the co-op aspect of Hunted was them testing the water for Skyrim but Im guessing no. Le sigh. :(

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
I still wish they would enable some sort of co-op, shouldn't be that hard to do. Wondering around by yourself can get old.
Pretty much this... I don't want to do bullshit quests like MMOs have but I do want a fucking fantasy game with customized characters doing a co-op thing.

All my damn co op options these days with any merit are fucking shooters and THAT is getting especially old. *sigh*

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This makes me happy. I'd hate for TES to become MMO. That would ruin the entire point of the game.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Yay no MMO, now a co op version would be pretty sweet or even up to four people.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
questionnairebot said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Alduin the World Eater
I actually wanted to see what that was...Link doesn't work.

OT: I would like to see a "Multiplayer" aspect like borderlands. Up to 4 in one game with arenas where you can fight each other. I would also like to see the Morrowind Style of armor come back.
Huh, I'm sorry. I'm not sure why it's not working. Here is the actual link, if you want to see the earlier post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106742-Dragon-Tongue-Reveals-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrims-World-Eater