Surprise! Lots Of People Are Buying Black Ops

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Surprise! Lots Of People Are Buying Black Ops

Activision shifted over 23 million copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops and 18 million map packs over the first nine months of its release.

That's a lot of sales. So many, in fact, that Activision felt the need to record it all in this handy chart, measuring sales of its ludicrously popular murder-simulator against the combined install base numbers of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Needless to say, the sales numbers have gone up with each installment. For comparison, Black Ops made $650 million in its first five days of release, compared to the mere $550 million record set by Modern Warfare 2.

Those controversial $15 map packs seem to be selling like hotcakes as well. Black Ops owners have purchased over 18 million of them, earning Activision a cool $270 million. If my vole-level math skills don't fail me, that works out as 13.5 million of your earth dollars per map, very nice.

However, the gold-plated execubots at Activision aren't counting their insanely profitable chickens before they hatch, and as such, haven't released any predictions for the upcoming Modern Warfare 3's performance. They do, however, predict a 20% increase in the HD console install base, which in turn, likely means more games sold. Oh, and the way their little chart is framed kind of implies that they're guessing MW3's sales are going to be somewhere between "absurdly large number" and "Haha. Now we can buy the sun."

You may now begin complaining.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/01/black-ops-sold-over-23-million-units-and-over-18-million-map-pac/]

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
In before inevitable "Call of Duty sucks, Battlefield 3 will be better (Or vice versa)" comments (God you people are annoying), but I still think 15$ per map pack is ridiculous no matter how you slice it. I thought people would actually not buy them and not let Activision get their way, but I guess I was wrong.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

OT: I really do think it's funny that they don't think there is actually a limit to how many people buy their games.

To be fair though, their rate of growth does actually suggest that. If they do sell that much I might cry a little.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Oh no, just another excuse for people to needlessly hate...
well, whatever gives people a false sense of superiority. Just count me out.

OT: Well considering the amount of copies sold keeps rising with each game, I wouldn't be surprised if MW3 is another record breaker.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
MW2 oddly still has better numbers playing on steam, despite it being the inferior game, especially on PC.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Baneat said:
MW2 oddly still has better numbers playing on steam, despite it being the inferior game, especially on PC.
Honestly, no. Even though it lacks dedicated servers, Black Ops is still buggy as hell. I couldn't play it decently for 6 months after I purchased it, and soon after it got fixed, another patch broke it for me again.

As far as gameplay goes, I would say Black Ops is better if I could actually play the fucking game.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Yeah.. Totally saw that coming. Same with the mappacks. 15 bucks for a bunch of maps is just ridiculous.

Imagine if every new game out there decided to drop mod support and map making support. Everything DLC'd.

BF3 is going in the exact same direction. No mods, no maps by the community. Bring in the DLCs. Ask outrageous prices for minor content. I "vote with my wallet" and don't buy em. Though that leaves me behind, and my wallet doesn't have much of an impact.. People apparently accept the 15 bucks for 5 small maps .. in large numbers. I don't see this trend dying anytime soon.

Oh well.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
*obvious dig at Activision/EA*

*comparison of two popular military shooter franchises*

*complaint about overpriced DLC*

*inflammatory remark on low age of online playerbase*

*witty quip before hitting post*

Feb 13, 2008
Twilight sold a million copies in two and a half years. Making it the fastest selling book ever.

So? There's a lot of people willing to buy what they're told to buy - whatever state it's in.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Tzekelkan said:

You should come write for us, mate.

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Tzekelkan said:

You should come write for us, mate.
I agree its well done, but he did forget...

*obvious comparison to anything else that was ever popular*

I mean whats next complaints about how COD is now "the beatles" of gaming??

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Activision clearly doesn't think it has to up its game to make those sales and as long as we the consumer continue to buy this crap, they won't change there business model. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU DISLIKE MW2 and BO!!!! If you don't like what they are doing then don't feed them more money to keep making crap. If you like the games they make then fine buy it but don't cry on the forums because they don't listen to the consumers, make horrible SP, horrible balance, gimmick gameplay, over priced DLC (which if you buy it you only feed the monster), etc.

Honestly as somebody who both hates every CoD after MW1 and refuses to buy the games it baffles me that so many people hate on the game and yet so many of them probably keep buying this crap on release and buy the DLC. Your angry forum post mean nothing if you helping them make profits.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
ut I still think 15$ per map pack is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

I would agree with you, but really, I can't. It would be hypocritical of me, seeing that I downloaded Mass Effect 2 DlC (which I have really enjoyed). Those missions aren't that long and I couldn't help but download some alt-appearance/weapon packs.

COD has a pretty strong market, and there is evidently strong demand for content which extends the life of the overall product. I really can't fault gamers who get the map packs, because they are likely to extract a lot of enjoyment from them.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
How the hell did the shift that many copies of what is arguably a game that is the same or worse then other fps rivals? Then to add to it all, they manage to sell vast numbers of dlc.
Well hats of to their marketing team but yeash, people need to start reasoning their purchases before so readily handing cash over to someone else.

AmaterasuGrim

Jul 16, 2011
Rather pay 15 dollars then 40/60 for a re-release like capcom love doing, people complaining about 15 bucks it cost a lot just to pay the thousands that put these packs together also let's not forget last gen when if companys wanted to give us something new they had to release the game a second time which capcom thinks is still acceptable this gen just saying 15 bucks is a lot better then have to buy cod 5 times over.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Man, how awesome wouldn't it be to work on one of those games. Sure the devs just get ~20% of the profit, but that's still a damn lot divided unequally between ~400 people.
Oh, and I'm really surprised at the amount of people that spend that much on map packs.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Why would I complain? This is great! Now the annoying co-workers/people who keep demanding that I buy Call Of Duty are, statistically, still doing so, so I can avoid them by playing different games!