Sony CEO: "Summer of Our Discontent" Ending

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sony CEO: "Summer of Our Discontent" Ending

Howard Stringer gave a short but defiant speech claiming his company is over the hacking.

Stringer sees nothing but blue skies ahead, and other similar platitudes. Despite the massive failure of its security protocols leading up to the takedown of the PlayStation Network this April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/psn%20down?], the first non-Japanese CEO of the massive electronics and entertainment company reports that PSN has actually increased membership since the attack. Stringer is confident that the bad days are over for Sony and that its investments in tying all of its varied products - tvs, game consoles, movie productions, to name a few - will reap great success moving forward.

"I'm pleased to tell you that the [PlayStation Network] is more secure and better than ever," Stringer said at the IFA conference in Berlin, Germany. "We are aggressively expanding its content. We have more than 3 million new customers since the network came back online, and sales are exceeding what we had before the cyberattacks."

Over the past 12 months, the company has seen everything from earthquakes and tsunamis to hacker vandalism. "This year, we at Sony have been flooded, we've been flattened, we've been hacked, we've been singed," he said. "But the summer of our discontent is behind us."

He believes the combined approach of marketing all its products closely tied together will each of Sony's competitors: "Yes, yes, Apple makes an iPad, but does it make movies?" Stringer asked. "Warner Bros. and Fox produce fine movies, but what about their cameras and smartphones? Sony is where art meets technology."

While the prospects of that claim are dubious, I'm happy to see that the CEO of Sony believes that the dark times are behind him. Of course, it's rare to hear a CEO say, "We're screwed," but I respect the man's optimism.

Source: Cnet [http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20100016-264/ceo-playstation-network-growth-recovers-after-hack/#ixzz1Wjk7YokO]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So, to summarise;

"We are still a supercompany and I am confident we can at least match competitors on any market despite the years events so far."

Well i suppose its good to hear they havent lost any drive to do well. It has been a sucky year for them so far[footnote]Understatement[/footnote].

SpaceGnome

Apr 23, 2009
oh god please don't taunt them or it will just look bad if they do manage to bring us down again

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Is it just me, or does that picture look like the Sony equivalent of Bobby Kotick? Not saying that he's a psycho or anything, but do games CEO's all look similar?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
...Made glorious winter by this sun of String;
And all the hackers that lour'd upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths;
Our bruised network security hung up for monuments;
Our stern alarums chang'd to merry meetings,
Our dreadful marches to delightful measures.
Grim-visag'd lulsec hath smooth'd his wrinkled front;
And now,--instead of mounting DDoS
To fright the souls of fearful adversaries,--
He capers nimbly in a lady's chamber
To the lascivious pleasing of a lute.

EDIT: I thought Bobby Kotick was Richard III.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
octafish said:
...Made glorious winter by this sun of String;
And all the hackers that lour'd upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths;
Our bruised network security hung up for monuments;
Our stern alarums chang'd to merry meetings,
Our dreadful marches to delightful measures.
Grim-visag'd lulsec hath smooth'd his wrinkled front;
And now,--instead of mounting DDoS
To fright the souls of fearful adversaries,--
He capers nimbly in a lady's chamber
To the lascivious pleasing of a lute.

EDIT: I thought Bobby Kotick was Richard III.
+1 internets and Gold Star.

And to avoid a low content post I shall add that I hope Mr CEO there isn't tempting faith with this.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
"Yes, yes, Apple makes an iPad, but does it make movies?" yes...yes they does apple owns pixar

Jobs also previously served as chief executive of Pixar Animation Studios; he became a member of the board of directors of The Walt Disney Company in 2006, following the acquisition of Pixar by Disney. -wiki

please PS3 i love you just as much as i love Xbox and google but dont try to bullshit your fans we for the most parts are nerds and geeks we KNOW! thise sort's of things

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Is it just me, or does that picture look like the Sony equivalent of Bobby Kotick? Not saying that he's a psycho or anything, but do games CEO's all look similar?
I'm sure they dont..

its just that they both have ugly smiles

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I give it a week tops before they get hacked again. This is almost begging to be hacked.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Since several psn titles were planned for release during the outage, isn't it natural that sales would be up now that people could actually buy them?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, I hope they actually learned something from all of this and maybe made some significant changes in their procedures, or they're likely to head right into the Autumn of Anguish. And possibly even the Winter of Wailing.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I've always seen Sony as the good guy throughout everything in their "summer of discontent". All the way back and through the Geohotz case.

IMO they've handled the whole thing very well. I wish them the best as the continue on.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
They didn't deserve to be hacked, but I'm definitely not on their side for the way they handled Geohot.

Also, @ the following: "Of course, it's rare to hear a CEO say, "We're screwed," but I respect the man's optimism"; pretty sure the Blockbuster CEO said that.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Muco5681 said:
"Yes, yes, Apple makes an iPad, but does it make movies?" yes...yes they does apple owns pixar

Jobs also previously served as chief executive of Pixar Animation Studios; he became a member of the board of directors of The Walt Disney Company in 2006, following the acquisition of Pixar by Disney. -wiki

please PS3 i love you just as much as i love Xbox and google but dont try to bullshit your fans we for the most parts are nerds and geeks we KNOW! thise sort's of things
uh-mm just letting you know apple doesn't own pixar Disney does.....just thought id clear that up.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
ecoho said:
Muco5681 said:

uh-mm just letting you know apple doesn't own pixar Disney does.....just thought id clear that up.
Right. Steve Jobs acquired Pixar in the '80s (I think from LucasFilm), which is probably the source of the confusion. When Disney bought Pixar back in 2006, that made Jobs the largest single Disney shareholder.

Aside from that, no connection between Apple and Pixar.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Mortuorum said:
ecoho said:
Muco5681 said:

Right. Steve Jobs acquired Pixar in the '80s (I think from LucasFilm), which is probably the source of the confusion. When Disney bought Pixar back in 2006, that made Jobs the largest single Disney shareholder.

uhmm jobs doesnt own anything anymore pixar bought him out when he wouldnt support them any more and then partnered with disney.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
ecoho said:
Mortuorum said:

uhmm jobs doesnt own anything anymore pixar bought him out when he wouldnt support them any more and then partnered with disney.
I don't remember Pixar ever "buying out" Jobs. Can you cite that? His Disney bio blurb [http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/bios/steve_jobs.html] seems to indicate that Jobs was still Pixar's chairman at the time of the Disney acquisition. And this article [http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/25/steve_jobs_expected_to_remain_on_disney_board.html] states that as of last week his status as Disney's largest shareholder (owning 7.4% of the company) was unchanged.