Critical Miss: The Bastard's Guide to Journalism

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Bastard's Guide to Journalism

If you liked it then you should have put a Sol Ring on it.

Read Full Article

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I had a discussion with my wife last night about how The Escapist's linking to that article is bad enough by allowing this community to generate hits instead of just using pull quotes. There does seem to be some effective trolling going down here...

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I hadn't even thought about that side of it. Wow, what a perfect self-sustaining dick move. I'm not even sure if I'm mad or impressed.
All in all I guess it doesn't impact my life, so it doesn't matter.
Thanks for all the work you guys do!

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
Can I skip the first steps and skip straight to murdering a goat?

But I think your hand-faeces analogy was pretty accurate

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Didn't hear about it 'til now. Sounds rather like something an asshole would do.

But when I saw the title... am I the only one who thought of a completely different Bastard who also happens to be a journalist?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
JFrog84 said:
Knee deep?! Is that kinda like fisting?
Don't be a perv, please.

Well, doing something terrible, and condemning it at the same time.

Someone tell who ever is in charge of the dictionary to change the definition of hypocrisy to "these journalist bastards", please.

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
I had not thought about it that way. ANd by that way, i meant Mr. Finkel getting laid because of this story.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Mr. Finkel being the world champion of Magic the Gathering and all must be a master tactition, how do we know he didn't mastermind and orchestrate the whole thing to get women?

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
I quit paying attention to Gawker as a whole when they changed the site. Actions like this suggest to me they're desperate for the attention they lost.

Too bad, because I really dug Lifehacker.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
You're right, nobody would read that overly-long rant... <-joke

But I agree that is a bad thing to do from every aspect. It shouldn't have happened in the first place. When it did, the other news places shouldn't have just reposted it for more people to give it the attention they want. And after that, people really shouldn't have gave it all the attention they have. Mainly because it encourages them to do it again.

Also, I didn't realize goats spewed that much blood when you cut their throats. Is this Kill-Bill or something?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
A goat can't spill that much blood in a single cut in the neck >.>'

Yeah, that was a dick move and akin to pointing someone with the finger and yelling "look!, he's a dumbass because he's smarter than me!, laugh at him!".

I'm really tempted to see the article to see what the fuss was about, but I won't keep feeding the trolls.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well, that menthod has worked very well for the British press for decades.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So..the moral of the story is: When you sacrifice ethics, you gain everything?
Heh, I kid...

Seriously: When I noticed the byline involved Finkel, I ignored it instinctively. While I willingly (and foolishly) comment on some truly stupid shit regularly, celebrity gossip is not my bag; at all.

It's an entire genre of journalism commonly steeped in vague near-slander/libel which is then spun and hyped into utter meaninglessness. At least with political, business and economical controversy, there is something bigger to focus on than just some celebrity, who at the end of the day, is still just a person. An overly popular and overrated person, but a person all the same.

ho Huios tes Moiras

Aug 24, 2010
Kapol said:
Also, I didn't realize goats spewed that much blood when you cut their throats. Is this Kill-Bill or something?
No, it's Kill Billy.

I've gotta thank you for explaining what's going on behind the scenes because I read the original story (and the article condemning it) at Gizmodo and was horribly confused as to why they'd publish both.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
A goat can't spill that much blood in a single cut in the neck >.>'
You'd be surprised how much blood a goat can spill with a single swipe on the jugular. Having sluaghtered goats myself (no, really), it's actually disgustingly captivating.