Modern Warfare 3 Controller Has "Night Vision"

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Modern Warfare 3 Controller Has "Night Vision"

Try not to throw this Modern Warfare 3 controller when children assault your mother, skill, and sexual preferences.

Last month we were shown limited edition <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112541-Brace-Your-Eyeballs-For-the-Gunnar-Optiks-MW3-Gaming-Eyewear>MW3 gaming eyewear by Gunnar Optiks. This month we've got a Call of Duty-branded PlayStation 3 controller and a headset for the Wii on the way, both from <a href=http://www.pdp.com/m-5-ps3.aspx>Performance Designed Products.

"The Call of Duty community is among the most passionate in the world and deserves the highest-quality gaming accessories," said Bill Otte, vice president of sales and marketing for PDP.

Passionate? That's not exactly the word I'd choose, but it's not inaccurate.

The controller is detailed to look like gun-metal and carbon-fiber, and features a finish meant to improve a player's grip. A "night vision" button illuminates the pad, and the sticks take a concave, "gamer-preferred" shape.

For all you hardcore, multiplayer-using Wii owners, the wired headset comes with a noise-cancelling microphone and a rubberized grip for a snug fit. You know, so it doesn't fly off while you're flailing about.

Source: G4

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Question;

How many gamers need to look at their controller when they are using it?
So by extension, how useful is night vision that lights up the buttons?

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Want to hear the funny part? Two years ago I wrote a sketch about Infinity Ward pitching ideas for Modern Warfare 3. A gimmicky controller was a central part of it. I understand that this gamepad isn't being made by Activision, but still, it's like I'm psychic or something.

Which reminds me, no one try to sail around Cape Horn on March 14 2012.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
I can see that 'gamer preferred' analogue stick design starting a fan-boy flame war between PS3 and xbox players.

Apart from that it's a useless piece of tat that only people with more money than sense will buy.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
unacomn said:
Want to hear the funny part? Two years ago I wrote a sketch about Infinity Ward pitching ideas for Modern Warfare 3. A gimmicky controller was a central part of it. I understand that this gamepad isn't being made by Activision, but still, it's like I'm psychic or something.

Which reminds me, no one try to sail around Cape Horn on March 14 2012.
You know they released gimmicky controllers for previous games too right? Even the PC got a mouse/keyboard for MW2.
Hell a couple of other companies do it too...

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
And next month in the "what useless shit can we make that will seperate gullible gamers from their cash" ......... Gaming Toilets ..... a handy plastic bottle you can piss in while you game and save you getting up to go to the toilet ..... and for only £49.99.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
who the hell looks at their controller while playing a game?this shit is useless.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
I can destroy all that oppose me on Call of Duty without the need of gimmicky bullshit thank you very much.

Dygen Entreri

Sep 23, 2010
What I love about it is that the shape of it, including the "special" concave thumbsicks, thumbstick positions, and the trigger shapes are all designed to match the X-Box 360 controllers. If I had a PS3, I would actually try to find this at a reasonable price, simply because using the bumper as the trigger always feels weird to me instead of the 360's better trigger design.

Looking at it, I seriously thought it WAS a third-party 360 controller untill I saw the X button.

I know Playstation users are going to hate me for saying this, but why Sony! Why can't you use better stick placement and triggers. Why do you have to be different in ways that hinder play style!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
That has got to be the second worst controller layout I have ever seen. Who the heck designed that?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
"Try not to throw this Modern Warfare 3 controller when children assault your mother, skill, and sexual preferences."
Man, it took me a moment to understand what you even meant by that, and the first image that popped up in my mind wasn't nice at all.
But OT, i haven't really played a lot with different controllers, so I don't know how to comment the layout or whatnot.
But i have to confess, that the very first time I played a console and there was a quick-time event, i failed horrible all the time and mixed the buttons up constantly...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
360 thumbsticks? No thanks

Dygen Entreri said:
What I love about it is that the shape of it, including the "special" concave thumbsicks, thumbstick positions, and the trigger shapes are all designed to match the X-Box 360 controllers. If I had a PS3, I would actually try to find this at a reasonable price, simply because using the bumper as the trigger always feels weird to me instead of the 360's better trigger design.

Looking at it, I seriously thought it WAS a third-party 360 controller untill I saw the X button.

I know Playstation users are going to hate me for saying this, but why Sony! Why can't you use better stick placement and triggers. Why do you have to be different in ways that hinder play style!
D-pad is much easier to reach on a 360 controller and the buttom triggers have much more finesse. However all the triggers could do with being wider and the top triggers are a slippery mess.

Curve is outwards and so much harder to fit hands on for people with small hands (like me) and the forwards trigger makes the problem worse. It's also slightly more constrained (towards the left) for the left thumb to circle when placed forward but it's a tiny difference that habit probably eradicates

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008

Dygen Entreri said:

D-pad is much easier to reach on a 360 controller and the buttom triggers have much more finesse. However all the triggers could do with being wider and the top triggers are a slippery mess.

Curve is outwards and so much harder to fit hands on for people with small hands (like me) and the forwards trigger makes the problem worse. It's also slightly more constrained (towards the left) for the left thumb to circle when placed forward but it's a tiny difference that habit probably eradicates

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008

Dygen Entreri said:

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008

Dygen Entreri said:

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That controller looks rather dated. I'd expect it to be a bit more aesthetically tasteful. Just my 2-cents though, as long as it does it's job comfortably I'm all for it. Unfortunately, I doubt the controller being lit-up is going to enchance my gaming experience.

The Good Doctor

Mar 6, 2011
I don't give a damn about how "passionate" the CoD community is. They don't deserve "the highest quality gaming accessories." Then again, this controller isn't exactly something I consider to be "the highest quality." It's like the ugly, bastard lovechild of two mentally unstable 360 and PS3 controllers, and it looks very, very confused about what the hell it is.