Mystery And Controversy Surround Slavery The Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mystery And Controversy Surround Slavery The Game

Slavery The Game may not actually be a game, but it's guaranteed to stir up a firestorm of controversy.

Alright, here's what we know so far: Very recently a website appeared purportedly advertising something called Slavery The Game [http://www.slaverythegame.com/home.php]. As its title and the embedded YouTube video -- the only piece of media the thing has generated so far -- plainly suggests, it's a game focusing on Colonial-era slavery.

Even centuries removed from that time period, that's still an incredibly controversial topic, particularly for a videogame. Of course, our collective hobby is no stranger to courting controversy, as the makers of Grand Theft Auto can attest.

The weird bit about this whole thing however, is that neither this game, nor the people making it seem to exist anywhere outside of that single web page.

The description on the YouTube clip up there claims the game is the work of UK-based Total War creators The Creative Assembly, but the game appears nowhere on that firm's site [http://creative-assembly.com/?page_id=7].

Javelin Reds Gaming, the title's supposed creator, doesn't exist as far as we can tell. The phone number listed on the site leads to a Google Voice inbox (with a Kentucky area code) and "[email protected]" appears to be a nonfunctional email address.

We even went so far as to plug "Javelin Reds" into an internet anagram generator, but as you can plainly see [http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=javelin+reds&t=1000&a=n], the results offer little in the way of illumination.

"Javelin Reds Gaming" offers more vocabulary options [http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=javelin+reds+gaming&t=1000&a=n], but unless this is a clever smokescreen for something called "Vandal Jigger Mines," we're still at a loss.

So, as we sit here scratching our heads and furrowing our brows, the best guess we can make is that Slavery The Game is some kind of alternate reality game or PR stunt. What exactly it might be advertising however, remains unknown.

Still, I have to give due propers to whoever is behind this. The theoretical subject matter alone could generate the pageviews of a thousand Gizmodo articles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112671-An-Apology-to-Jon-Finkel]. It's guaranteed to anger a ton of people, but the fact that you're all reading the words I'm currently typing serves as evidence that the people responsible know exactly how to grab the minute attention spans of the 'net generation.

Update: Since this article was originally published, we received word from representatives for Sega and The Creative Assembly who wished to offer an official statement on any sort of connection the firms may have to this game. To wit:

The Creative Assembly and SEGA have no knowledge of, and are not in any way involved with this alleged title.

I suppose that offers another piece of the puzzle, at least as regards what this game isn't, though we're still no closer to figuring out what it actually is.

standokan

May 28, 2009
If this game is real then I give FOX a green light, this game might just deserve it.

Litchhunter

Apr 16, 2010
I can not pray hard enough for Fox to never hear about this.
From what we are seeing, it looks like a complete fake just created to get reactions.
And if it is real, there is no way in hell it will really sell at all.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Is it wrong of me to actually want to play this? I am against slavery, but as a virtual game, I am okay with it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Well then...that looks...different. Honestly I was hoping for something more S&M oriented but that's just me and my sick, depraved, mind. I think I'll be passing this one up though, even if it is real. Since it's advertised as being on the XBLA and, PSN I can't help but think buying this game or, expressing interest in or, defending this game could get you on some sort of watch-list. [sub]of course my bondagy thoughts could have already landed me on a watch list...[/sub]

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Why do I get the feeling that anagram has a decidedly less than PC meaning? Also, as I recall, there -is- a White Supremacist group that does actually make video games amongst other things, and if this is a serious effort I wonder if the two are connected?

Doubtful though, as from what I remember most of the their games besides being incredibly racist, were also incredibly shit unsurprisingly.

Otherwise, could just be someone deliberately trying to get a rise out of others, though some pretty decent production values in that vid all the same.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
yes, it is good to remind Europe now and then how it gained most of its power....

good free marketing though. but i doubt it will have much of a future, assuming that its real.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Well then...that looks...different. Honestly I was hoping for something more S&M oriented but that's just me and my sick, depraved, mind. I think I'll be passing this one up though, even if it is real. Since it's advertised as being on the XBLA and, PSN I can't help but think buying this game or, expressing interest in or, defending this game could get you on some sort of watch-list. [sub]of course my bondagy thoughts could have already landed me on a watch list...[/sub]
That already exists.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Maybe somebody with actual formal training in this could enlighten me here.

The narrator certainly isn't a professional, but he doesn´t seem to be a native speaker either.
Dutch maybe? He certainly pronounced his vowels pretty short and harsh (e.g. "TremendUs fortune").

But as I said: if somebody could offer some reliable insight on this matter I'd be grateful - after all I'm just a non-native amateur.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Bloodstain said:
Is it wrong of me to actually want to play this? I am against slavery, but as a virtual game, I am okay with it.
This seems to be my mindset on this. While yes,slavery in the real world is bad,in a videogame it hurts nobody except for a bunch of polygons. If you have a problem with this game,you should have a problem with GTA and CoD because while it isn't slavery,it's still killing people.

People seem to forget that though.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
What the fuck? Okay I usually like to play a game where I kill the slave traders. Lets make that game. Not the exact opposite. That trailer was disturbing. Screw it, the media has a green light on lighting this shit up.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
standokan said:
If this game is real then I give FOX a green light, this game might just deserve it.
Aren't FOX generally now far enough to the right to only be against it because it's a game, but be right behind the idea of slavery?

However, imo, if movies and books can deal with slavery, then I see no reason why our creative artform can't take on the subject, just because it's interactive.

Our main problem is our image, and that's only going to change if we keep trying to educate those who don't understand that, in the same way that 'War and Peace' and 'The big book of dick jokes' can coexist in 'literature', there's more to gaming than Space Invaders and Grand Theft Auto.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
You sir or madam, read my mind. All of it. Even the last part...stop it.

Edit- After watching the video...OH MY GOD. They can't be serious. On top of it looking like shit, it is so blatantly racist it's disgusting.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
If it's fake, funny, should cause issue.

If it's real, cool, if it plays like how I can gather from the little 'gameplay' clip, it looks like it could be fun.

I don't personally think there should be limits to what areas a game can explore, even very controversial ones.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Seventh Actuality said:
WILHELM SCREAM! :D
Damn you forum ninja!

But to expand on that. The trailer used the Wilhelm scream and the voice over sounds like the knock off of the Movie Trailer Guy. I was waiting for the part where he said 'IN A WORLD GONE MAD!!!!!!' but he never did.

Based on the evidence, it's probably fake.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Yeah, I'm sorry but that seems like really hardcore troll bait. The voice over was... odd - it sounded mildly familiar... I feel as though this will turn out to be a fanatical anti-game agenda faction which would be ironic because they are themselves playing a game and being way more insulting than any current developer has been. Absurd.