Codemasters Loses Three Million Dirt 3 Steam Codes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Codemasters Loses Three Million Dirt 3 Steam Codes

As many as three million Dirt 3 promotional codes for Steam that were left unprotected on a Codemasters server have been leaked to the internet.

Codemasters and AMD have a pretty solid Dirt 3 [http://sites.amd.com/us/game/shop/Pages/dirt-3-bundle.aspx] brought home some very positive critical reception, making it a nice little giveaway.

But programs like these are not without risks, at least not when you leave all your promo codes sitting out in the open on a webserver, which is exactly what Codemasters did. What the internet did in response will surely come as no surprise to anyone: it took them down and passed them around [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2098484], effectively providing a free copy of the game to anyone who wants one.

There is some question as to just how many codes were lost. It was thought at first that up to three million codes had been leaked, but Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5837468/whoops-3-million-copies-of-dirt-3-just-went-missing?tag=steam] got its hands on the "master list" that leaked out the tubes and found that it contained "only" 250,000 codes. A reader later claimed that numerous lists had leaked and that he'd seen eight of them so far, adding up to 1.7 million codes, so the original report of three million doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

Fortunately, or perhaps not depending on your perspective, it should be a relatively simple matter for either Codemasters or Valve to kill the leaked codes and lower the boom on anyone who's using one. Codemasters said it's trying to block unauthorized access to the game, although how that's coming or how long it will take to drop the hammer on all involved isn't clear at this point. Navigate as you see fit but consider yourself warned: this is one free game that might be more hassle than it's worth.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
jesus, everyone is fucking up lately. first Dead Island wrong version launch, then Ubisoft and their DRM get fucked, and now these codes. everyone is still sleepy from august vacations.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
I was wondering why everyone was offering Dirt 3 on the Steam trading forums.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Umm... a friend just gave me a Dirt 3 Steam code yesterday and said he got it as a part of the promotion...

I pray fuck he isn't lying. (O_O)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Umm... a friend just gave me a Dirt 3 Steam code yesterday and said he got it as a part of the promotion...

Better open a thread on the Steam forums, maybe send a letter to Gabe Newell...

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Well... shit. Now I'm worried I got one of these codes from a dirty trade. I hope they just remove the game from my account instead of banning me, especially since I have a LOT of money in Steam games on there (all of which I bought or had gifted to me through Steam). Luckily I kept visual records of the trade and the discussion just in case. Of course, I haven't played the game yet... maybe just deleting it from my PC's HD would help.

I also have to wonder about everyone who actually got a code through the promotion as well. But that's just another worry entirely.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:

Better open a thread on the Steam forums, maybe send a letter to Gabe Newell...
In this order,
Maybe.
Gabe is currently too busy being King Neckbeard Of Awesome at the moment and will be back from vacation when EP 3 comes out. :p

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Looks like Codemasters have lost their position...
*puts on sunglasses*
...As masters of codes.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Today: code"master" fucks up terribly
Tomorrow: blanket steam bans for everybody who didn't find out that these promotional giveaways weren't official.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Hmm. I got Dirt 3 because of the actual Radeon promotion. Don't fuck with my library, please. One screw-up a day is all I can handle, and Dead Island already used that one.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I'm guessing they'll do a date cutoff, so my legitimate promo copy from 2 months back should be fine. If I come back to find my account banned, of course, all parties involved will be notified angrily and often until the issue is resolved.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Well, it looks like some other people...

*puts on sunglasses*

Mastered the code.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
They're going to have to be very careful here, I think.

I think best move is to 'kill' anyone's copy of Dirt 3 who's used one of those codes.

Any further action is going to cause way too much bad feeling from those who feel they traded or bought a code legit, not knowing they were stolen.

As someone with a huge damn Steam list, I'd be far too careful to try anything that had even a hint of dodgy by now. But, not everyone is going to be so careful, and I'd lose my rag is I found my entire account killed over this.

I however trust Steam to deal with this sensibly and carefully, and not enrage thousands of customers and use up the tons of goodwill steam has in the PC gaming community.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
From what I read, steam isn't banning anyone, just deleting the game from accounts.

IDK if that's true or not though. It probably wasn't the most reliable of sources.