Anonymous Unwittingly Funds Time Warner

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Anonymous Unwittingly Funds Time Warner

The Guy Fawkes mask is the symbol of Anonymous but guess who licenses that likeness?

The cheeky guys over at 4Chan that formed the basis for the amorphous Anonymous hacktivist group wanted to hide their identities when they congregated for a protest outside the Church of Scientology. They settled on the Guy Fawkes mask as worn by V in the adaptation of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta because the anarchic hero seemed to align with their philosophy. The group first used the masks in a protest in 2008, two years after the film V for Vendetta was released by Warner Bros. Pictures. Since then, members of Anonymous have purchased the masks and worn them whenever they have assembled in public, contributing to the Guy Fawkes mask being a hit at retail stores and online - Amazon.com lists the mask as its bestselling. But because Warner Bros. owns the license and receives a portion of the proceeds from each mask sold, Anonymous actually lines the pockets of the corporate overlords they presume to hate.

"We sell over 100,000 of these masks a year, and it's by far the best-selling mask that we sell," said Howard Beige from Rubie's Costumes, the company that makes the mask. "In comparison, we usually only sell 5,000 or so of our other masks."

"It's a symbol of what Anonymous stands for, of fighting evil governments," said a protester wearing the mask last month outside another Scientology protest. "You can get a mask and join the fight, too! But I heard the costume store is sold out until Friday."

Here's terrible twist of logic: The Church of Scientology is known to receive large monetary donations from people who earn money from Hollywood. A portion of those famous actors and filmmakers have probably worked on a project that was produced by one of the many companies in the Time Warner umbrella [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Time_Warner] (HBO, New Line Cinema, Turner Broadcasting to name a few) and received payment from them.

Therefore, each time an Anonymous member buys a mask, you could argue that they are sending money to Scientology.

Of course, things like this happen all of the time. One can never be sure the money you fork over for something actually goes to a cause that you would want to support. There's no way to know, for example, if the money you spent on canned corn in 2004 wasn't used to fund terrorism in Saudi Arabia or George W. Bush's reelection. Consumers are often told to vote with their wallet - and they still should whenever an issue is apparent to them - but the reality is that we can never know for certain whether the money that leaves our hands is not somehow used in a way that we wouldn't like.

That's why every good Anonymous member should steal the Guy Fawkes mask whenever they have a big protest coming up. It's the only way to be sure.

(Please don't steal. The above recommendation is for ironic purposes only.)

Source: New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/technology/masked-anonymous-protesters-aid-time-warners-profits.html]

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
And the symbol is flawed as well.... "Fawkes was a fighter for Spain and the Catholic Church. His goal was to end the slightly more egalitarian Protestant revolution in England by restoring Catholic domination." (quote from Cracked.com)
P.S. First!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I thought this was obvious to all, licenced merch always feed money back to the man.

Feb 13, 2008
DonTsetsi said:
And the symbol is flawed as well....
P.S. First!
You mean that Guy Fawkes was actually a Catholic working for the Church to overthrow Parliament? Yeah, Cracked has some good articles. ;)

Low Key

May 7, 2009
So a mask that has been around for centuries is used in a movie, and that means Warner Bros. owns it? How does that even work? But Anonymous are a bunch of idiots anyways, so I suppose this is fitting for them.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
"Thus begins a race for online DIY for making Guy Fawkes/Anonymous masks."

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Well, I'm going to be wearing a Plague Doctor masks just because they're awesome and, comon, how often do you get an excuse to wear a plague doctor mask?

I mean, er, I'm going to be wearing an ELEPHANT MASK and NOT A PLAGUE DOCTOR MASK. Yeah...

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Nonconformist tendencies are observed and processed by the corporate overlords who then feed back merchandise relating to the nonconformist subculture that was railing against them in the first place.

This should be obvious to all- just goes to show how immature so many of these protestors are.

PS. I bought one of these masks, but it was because I'm a huge fan of the comic.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
What I want to know is who is making money off all these Che Guevara shirts you see people (plenty of whom probably have little knowledge of what Che did, what he stood for etc. but that's beside the point) wearing. You just know that'll be some shady capitalist corporation that Che would likely despise.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
What kind of retarded logic is that? That's like saying that by paying my phone bill, I'm supporting Mcdonalds because one of my phone companies employees likes to eat there.

Sure, it's technically true as far the money trail goes, but get real if you think it's news or that anyone else should care in the least.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Ah, irony at its finest. It's been a long time since I've seen a perfectly-brewed scenario.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Jadak said:
What kind of retarded logic is that? That's like saying that by paying my phone bill, I'm supporting Mcdonalds because one of that companies employees likes to eat there.
The great circle of life and all that.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Tee hee hee delicious irony. Since I hate Anonymous I'm reveling in the irony of this. Esp. since I always thought their choice of using the Guy Fawkes masks to be a piss poor one.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
I think the symbol is more powerful than the money trail, and people don't buy it cos it's guyfawkes they buy it because it's V and V probably symbolises who we all wish we could be. One man or many with the power to change things.

I actually think anon gives the establishment something to fear and that's healthy. It may be a lumbering mass of chaotic good and blackhats all mish mashed into some sort of movement but at the end of the day being anon represents a sort of freedom, the fact anon exists shows that people are sick of the BS and getting boned by the money mafia.

If you join lulzec or anon facebook groups its mostly links to news stories and information regarding hypocrisy, oppression and corruption.

It's nice to know that people are willing to fight. Mostly I think it makes people feel empowered and that's a good thing sometimes.

I for one don't know how we are going to get out of this global economic crisis shiz but at least the existence of Anons brings light to the fact that something is wrong and the establishment isn't as powerful as previously thought and if we want to we can do something about it. The first step is enlighten people and all the news stories about Anons shows people that they aren't powerless and when people research it they will find the links to whats going on, the online documentary streaming sites and they will learn new things.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
"It's a symbol of what Anonymous stands for, of fighting evil governments," said a protester wearing the mask last month outside another Scientology protest. "You can get a mask and join the fight, too! But I heard the costume store is sold out until Friday."
That's cute. Anonymous crack me up sometimes, really. I wonder how your average Anonymous member would fare in Libya right now?

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
This actually beats the irony of using the symbol of Guy Fawkes to oppose "evil government".

Protip folks, Fawkes wasn't opposing a dictatorship, he was trying to establish one.

On a side note, since when have Time Warner owned British history? Is it common for companies to hold IP rights over historical figures? That seems a bit dubious to me - I mean, imagine hearing that, say, McDonalds brought the rights to Abraham Lincoln...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, Fawkes WAS said to be the only man to enter Parliament with honest intentions.

The obvious solution: Anonymous funds a dedicated effort to build a Guy Fawkes-mask factory in a country with no copyright agreements with the US.

[small]I wonder if the factory workers would wear nametags....[/small]