Bethesda Preps Bronze Army For Skyrim Release

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Bethesda Preps Bronze Army For Skyrim Release

Have you ever seen a bronze statue cry? No? As long as you all pick up copies of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you won't have to.

Bethesda Softworks is pulling out all the stops to promote the upcoming release of Skyrim, and apparently that no longer includes simple bursts of in-game imagery, and strategically-timed press releases. Bethesda has decided to take things to a whole new level. A whole new level labeled "creepy bronze statue legion."

The a handful of images [http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/06/attack-of-the-nords/] capturing the eerily lifelike statues the company has commissioned for promotional use in gaming stores. Each statue is of the game's Dragonborn (aka "Dovahkiin") protagonist, and the end result of the impressive craftsmanship is a strikingly fierce-looking metal dude.

Normally this is where I'd find something to nitpick or even some kind of existential complaint about the futility of crafting permanent statuary for a product in an industry where games are routinely forgotten only a month after they hit retail shelves, but in this case, I'm far more intrigued by the cluster formation you see in the above-embedded picture.

Taken in an unnamed warehouse, presumably somewhere in Maryland, that is one creepy still-life. It's like the lovechild of Edward Gorey and Frank Frazetta was tasked with recreating Qin Shi Huang's Terracotta Army based entirely on the second-hand description of an opium-addicted Chinese vegetable farmer.

Of course, that's before I even dare to speculate on what those statues get up to at night. I'm not going to claim that they come to life and murder people -- that would be silly -- but I think we can all agree that those statues totally come to life and murder people!

[gallery=464]

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/06/attack-of-the-nords/]

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I feel sorry for the poor employee's who have to drag that thing in and out of display to prevent theft

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Sounds reeeaaalllyyyyy pricey, but awesome nonetheless.

Oh, and don't blink. Don't ever blink.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Wondering if your marketing department has too large a budget?
*Points to the above pictures* ...That could be a sign.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Now THIS is what should've come in the collector's edition. I'd gladly pay $150 for one of these guys to put on my veranda overlooking the pool.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
omicron1 said:
Now THIS is what should've come in the collector's edition. I'd gladly pay $150 for one of these guys to put on my veranda overlooking the pool.
I completely agree instead we get some Dragon thing... what the hell Bethesda! Ah who am I kidding I'll still fork out for the collectors edition...

OT: I know it's a short one but: Seriously cool!

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
looks pretty heavy to be shipped across the nation.

honestly, that statue will look great next to my TV.

unrelated: it shows I've been to this site long enough that I first read Bronze as 'Brony' in the title

Feb 9, 2011
Those are amazing. They are really pulling out all the stops on promoting this game. I feel like I should buy two copies. There might be so much awesome it can only be contained in two boxes. o_O

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Earnest Cavalli said:
It's like the lovechild of Edward Gorey and Frank Frazetta was tasked with recreating Qin Shi Huang's Terracotta Army based entirely on the second-hand description of an opium-addicted Chinese vegetable farmer.
And the award for "Best Metaphor" goes to....

[small]*drumroll*[/small]

Earnest Cavalli!

Well, at the very least, Maryland won't be having any dragon troubles for a while.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
Normally this is where I'd find something to nitpick or even some kind of existential complaint about the futility of crafting permanent...
... statues of some human dude supposed to be "Dovahkiin" even though Dovahkiin is ME - an ARGONIAN Spellsword.

Suckers.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I want me one of those creepy metal fella's.

I want it for my PC room.

It would disturb my wife and probably scare my kids but I need to have one.

Wonder if anyone would notice a few people carrying one down the street out of that warehouse.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I would so fucking buy one of these assuming they ever go on sale. Also if I had some space for it in my room.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I want one! Anyone know if these will appear in retail stores in Australia?