Sonic Generations' Collector's Edition is a Thing of Beauty

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

Sega has revealed the Sonic Generations [http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Generations-Playstation-3/dp/B004X56PWK] collector's edition and it's all kind of nice. It's also exclusive to Europe and Australia.

Like a long line of Sonic games before it, Sonic Generations is promising to be the title that returns the oddly hued hedgehog to his rightful place at the top of the platforming mascot heap. It's also being framed as a love letter to long term Sonic fans, miserable as they may be, and, like any good declaration of love, it comes with a ring. And a statuette. Wow, that metaphor went somewhere really weird, didn't it?

Just look at that picture in the top right there, isn't it glorious? The collector's edition, which, for some banal reason, is exclusive to Europe and Australia comes with:

[ul][li] A statuette, featuring the two genus of hedgehog that appear in the game. The squat, finger-wagging Sonic of yore (Squatus Classicus), and the taller, slimmer, and vastly more aggravating Sonic of recent years (Obnoxious 'tude Maximus). [/li]

[li]A commemorative "Gold Ring," which, if there is any justice in this world, will come with a tiny pamphlet that explains, in strictly legal terms, that the ring will not save your life should you accidentally impale yourself on a spike.[/li]

[li]An art book.[/li]

[li]The 20th Anniversary Sonic soundtrack, which had better feature the Chemical Plant Zone theme [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYB7iLZNWE] or there will be violence.[/li]

[li]The History of Sonic: the Birth of an Icon documentary.[/li]

[li]Bonus downloadable content for the game itself.[/li][/ul]

It all comes packed in a fancy lenticular box that changes the cover art depending on what angle you're looking at it from. It'll be released alongside the regular plebeian edition of the game on November 2011 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Oh deary me, look at the time. It's almost import O'clock.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I don't usually care about collector's editions, but holy crap that's something I want. That and Legend of Zelda's collector's edition.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Very cool. Mine was a Nintendo house when I was a kid but that didn't stop me from playing with the little blue hedgehog and watching his early cartoons. The only thing about this collection is the lack of a price at this point. Can't wait to see what it'll cost you...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Actually pretty bad ass swag, now lets hope this isn't the Sonic Cycle all over again.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
"It's also exclusive to Europe and Australia."

!!!

I'm not big on the whole "Collector's Edition", but I would pay for this one. $100? $120? Take my money Sega! Take it you beautiful bastards!

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Sega, I am dissapoint... that it is exclusive to Europe and Australia... I would pay money for that and I don't even get the chance except for someone to over price it on Ebay!

ila

Jul 29, 2008
Chances are game.co.uk will get it in, and barring weight restrictions, should be able to ship it to the US at a reasonable price.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Grey Carter said:
A commemorative "Gold Ring," which, if there is any justice in this world, will come with a tiny pamphlet that explains, in strictly legal terms, that the ring will not save your life should you accidentally impale yourself on a spike.
That made me Laugh hard xD

Meh, i may invest, doubt it though, the only special edition i have bought recently is the Augmented edition of Deus Ex, and that's only cause i had money to throw around (for once)

But yah never know, maybe i will have money to throw around again xD

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008

For once I am so happy to live in the UK!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Just to be a spiteful fan: This makes sense since Sonic made his first appearance in America. As in his first game came out in the US, Europe then Japan.

But seriously thats awesome.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Grey Carter said:

Sega has revealed the Sonic Generations [http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Generations-Playstation-3/dp/B004X56PWK] collector's edition and it's all kind of nice. It's also exclusive to Europe and Australia.

Yo Grey! With this new Sonic Generations coming out, you think it may prove or disprove your ever still standing theory on SEGA's Pattern with the blue hedgehog?

Pattern:

Step 1: Release Sub-Par Port of Ancient Game

Step 2: Shut down vastly superior remake of said game
(For added hilarity wait till the fans have spent 8 years on the game before pulling the plug)

Step 3: Return to your busy schedule of Stagnation

Sorry, but I absolutely loved that comic:

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Grey Carter said:
A statuette, featuring the two genus of hedgehog that appear in the game. The squat, finger-wagging Sonic of yore (Squatus Classicus), and the taller, slimmer, and vastly more aggravating Sonic of recent years (Obnoxious 'tude Maximus)"
Oh, please. Sonic was always the era at the time's view of the "insufferable asshole." He just couldn't always talk. Heh, heh.

Anyway, this is a quite the pretty package, and this is coming from a guy that usually doesn't give a damn about special editions bundles. I wonder if we in the states will be getting anything like this?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Snotnarok said:
Just to be a spiteful fan: This makes sense since Sonic made his first appearance in America. As in his first game came out in the US, Europe then Japan.

Close.

America and Europe got it on exactly the same day ..... Japan a month later.

Mega Drive/Genesis
NA June 23, 1991
EU June 23, 1991
JP July 26, 1991

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
Snotnarok said:

Close.

America and Europe got it on exactly the same day ..... Japan a month later.

Mega Drive/Genesis
NA June 23, 1991
EU June 23, 1991
JP July 26, 1991
I swear it was a difference, maybe it changed, maybe I'm wrong but either way, I just want the bloody collectors edition. Most CEs aren't worth it...this looks worth it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Unhappy Crow said:
Well, looks like America will be missing out on this deal.
...And PC gamers.

I would buy it...but not for a format I do not have :(