Microsoft Issues Bans For XBL Marketplace Theft

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008

Following an in-depth investigation, Microsoft has begun handing out permanent suspensions to Xbox Live users who "illegitimately accessed Xbox Live Marketplace downloadable content."

A Microsoft representative offered the following on the official Xbox forums:

During the course of a recent investigation, we have discovered users who illegitimately accessed Xbox LIVE Marketplace downloadable content. Our investigation reveals that this access was intentional and not accidental, constituting a blatant violation of the Terms of Use for the service. We will not divulge additional information regarding individual suspensions for these offenses.

Please know that we are being very careful regarding these suspensions, and have clear evidence regarding each account issued a permanent suspension from the service. We apologize for any frustration or confusion resulting from our inability to share individual details, and thank you all for your cooperation in this matter.

Though the company fails to mention exactly what these now-banned gamers did to incur the company's wrath, CVG posits the idea that this whirlwind of account closures is related to a curious glitch in the Xbox Live Rewards program that received widespread publicity last month.

In short, the program issued thousands of free Microsoft points to gamers [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/315186/xbox-live-rewards-glitch-dishes-out-free-ms-points/]. No one was entirely sure why, though many speculated that the service was doubling any points legitimately purchased during a short time period. Seeing the sudden windfall, some gamers bought things, some contacted Microsoft, but the company's official stance was "we screwed up, enjoy the free points."

At least initially. Microsoft later recanted, and began recalling the points with no explanation whatsoever.

Whatever the reason, Microsoft seems quite confident in its newly revealed bans. "Clear evidence" seems pretty damning, and even if it isn't, the firm won't be explaining itself publicly.

On the one hand, I can't fault Microsoft for this move. The firm is responsible for maintaining the service in a fair fashion for its millions of subscribers, and Microsoft is allowed to take whatever steps it deems necessary to ensure that balance.

On the other, I've got sympathy for any ban recipients who are legitimately innocent of wrongdoing. That veil of secrecy is going to make any sort of appeal very difficult, if not impossible.

Such is the duality of corporate online security; as Teddy Roosevelt never said, "Speak softly and carry a big banhammer."

Source: CVG [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/41/t/62589.aspx]

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
So Microsoft makes a mistake, then decides to ban a load of players who benefited from said mistake. Seems counterproductive. If you have a whole lot of grateful users, how much more likely are they to buy more stuff from you?

ProZack

Jun 28, 2011
'Seeing the sudden windfall, some gamers bought things, some contacted Microsoft, but the company's official stance was "we screwed up, enjoy the free points."'

If that was there stance to begin with then it isn't the player's problem.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:

Following an in-depth investigation, Microsoft has begun handing out permanent suspensions to Xbox Live users who "illegitimately accessed Xbox Live Marketplace downloadable content."

A Microsoft representative offered the following on the official Xbox forums:

During the course of a recent investigation, we have discovered users who illegitimately accessed Xbox LIVE Marketplace downloadable content. Our investigation reveals that this access was intentional and not accidental, constituting a blatant violation of the Terms of Use for the service. We will not divulge additional information regarding individual suspensions for these offenses.

Please know that we are being very careful regarding these suspensions, and have clear evidence regarding each account issued a permanent suspension from the service. We apologize for any frustration or confusion resulting from our inability to share individual details, and thank you all for your cooperation in this matter.

Though the company fails to mention exactly what these now-banned gamers did to incur the company's wrath, CVG posits the idea that this whirlwind of account closures is related to a curious glitch in the Xbox Live Rewards program that received widespread publicity last month.

In short, the program issued thousands of free Microsoft points to gamers [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/315186/xbox-live-rewards-glitch-dishes-out-free-ms-points/]. No one was entirely sure why, though many speculated that the service was doubling any points legitimately purchased during a short time period. Seeing the sudden windfall, some gamers bought things, some contacted Microsoft, but the company's official stance was "we screwed up, enjoy the free points."

At least initially. Microsoft later recanted, and began recalling the points with no explanation whatsoever.

Whatever the reason, Microsoft seems quite confident in its newly revealed bans. "Clear evidence" seems pretty damning, and even if it isn't, the firm won't be explaining itself publicly.

On the one hand, I can't fault Microsoft for this move. The firm is responsible for maintaining the service in a fair fashion for its millions of subscribers, and Microsoft is allowed to take whatever steps it deems necessary to ensure that balance.

On the other, I've got sympathy for any ban recipients who are legitimately innocent of wrongdoing. That veil of secrecy is going to make any sort of appeal very difficult, if not impossible.

Such is the duality of corporate online security; as Teddy Roosevelt never said, "Speak softly and carry a big banhammer."

Source: CVG [http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/41/t/62589.aspx]

Might i suggest an alternate "hammer image" more fitting with Microsoft theme:

This comes the same day I heard personally from a new friend how they were able yo buy 10'000 Microsoft-Points for a fraction of their real value. I warned him he might get banned.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Hmmm... if your banned and have a yearly renewal on your XBOX account, can they still charge you even if you can't access the service?

I haven't had an online account since my free trial ran out a couple years ago, but I'm still curious.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
its not clear, but this may have to do with 'license swapping', which would enable two users to share bought content by using an option designed to allow players to recover downloaded games and dlc to a new 360 if their old one died.

Struck me as shady when someone suggested it to me, so declined.

Makeshift Koala

Aug 20, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Hmmm... if your banned and have a yearly renewal on your XBOX account, can they still charge you even if you can't access the service?

I haven't had an online account since my free trial ran out a couple years ago, but I'm still curious.
You can cancel the subscription through the xbox live website.

I think I might have been victim to this.. well.. victim is the wrong word, but y'know what I mean.

My console was banned for unknown reason's the other day. This might be the the cause of said ban if microsoft are reallllly slow about finding this stuff out. Damn the temptation of getting metal slug on xbla for free when you download it from Modern Warfare 2.. about a year ago.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
-Dragmire- said:

If you don't cancel yes. I imagine so. Then again this is uninformed estimation.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I swear to the light that if they ban me for the glitch in their Rewards program that I fucking called them about to try and fix I will burn Microsoft's house down with lemons. Because that will be absolute bullshit.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
FallenRainbows said:
-Dragmire- said:

If you don't cancel yes. I imagine so. Then again this is uninformed estimation.
It kind of makes sense on the one hand but on the other hand, isn't it weird that the service and the billing for the service are separate when not going through a third party like Paypal? Unless it does go through a third party, I'm not very informed when it comes to Microsoft's billing practices.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
This seems a little..schizophrenic.

We're fine with it, our bad -> nah no points for you -> oops you're banned.

maybe this is related to another issue entirely, but it's hard to tell due to the lack of info

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
FallenRainbows said:
-Dragmire- said:

It kind of makes sense on the one hand but on the other hand, isn't it weird that the service and the billing for the service are separate when not going through a third party like Paypal? Unless it does go through a third party, I'm not very informed when it comes to Microsoft's billing practices.
you are paying for access to their service (assuming you follow the rules). They are still paying for that; they just don't follow the rules so they pay for the opportunity of access.

Venats

Aug 22, 2011
I doubt this is the rewards problem, this is from XBLA game swaps through 'recovery' (duplicating XBLA games, hence obtaining them illegally) which was a glitch for a while... might still be one.

Jul 22, 2009
I'm pretty sure this isn't the Rewards thing xD

I was a complete sponge and used up all the excess points I had without realising I wasn't meant to have them, yet I'm still not banned :3

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
Three of my friends got banned for downloading games and using a hacked profile to access the games.

Here's a tutorial video on youtube for the proof.

PS. Never tried I just buy my games legally.