Abandoned Call of Duty Had Dead Space-like Elements

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Abandoned Call of Duty Had Dead Space-like Elements

Before focusing efforts on Modern Warfare 3, Sledgehammer Games was working on a creepy Call of Duty.

Speaking with Gamerzine at the Call of Duty XP event last week, Sledgehammer Games boss Glen Schofield revealed that his studio's mysterious third-person Call of Duty game shared a few elements with Visceral Games' Dead Space series.

"It was a third-person action-adventure game, it was a shooter, and it was not based in this era," said Schofield. "It had a lot of atmosphere like, I should say Dead Space a little bit because you were underground in some places. You know, war is hell, war is scary and that's what we were trying to get across."

"I want to make at least one more first-person shooter," Schofield said regarding the his future involvement with the Call of Duty series. "I want to get really good at it ... I would definitely, 100% work with Infinity Ward again because they're just the best. But I wouldn't mind giving Sledgehammer a shot on something."

I'm pretty certain terrorists aren't as jump-out-at-you scary as necromorphs. Zombie terrorist infants, on the other hand, would be a different story.

Source: G4

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
So they tryed soemthing diffrent for once...
Then ditched it?
Because if done right that could be pretty cool.

[INSERT COMMENT ABOUT HOW BATTLEFIELD 3 WILL BEAT MW3[small]Joke[/small]]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I could *kinda* see why they ditched it. It's hard to adjust the CoD gameplay elements to something slower paced. I mean, unless you go the stealth route, really.

In other news, TWO WEEKS TO RE4 HD! Whoo. I can finally finish that. Stupid scratched Wii disc...

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
That sounds pretty funky, an interesting concept.

So why the fuck was it abandoned?!

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Jonny49 said:
That sounds pretty funky, an interesting concept.

So why the fuck was it abandoned?!
because they know MW3 will sell.

why change it if everyone still buys it?

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
A horror game where the horror comes from trying to survive the brutalities of war?

Sounds like an intriguing premise with boatloads of potential. But this is Activision. If it can't be turned into a semi-annual franchise, then fuck it.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Doesn't surprise me that it'd be like Dead Space given that there are some higher ups in Sledgehammer who came from Visceral if I am not mistaken.

The idea of something unique to Call of Duty is of course nice given the fact it's been largely unchanged in the past four iterations of the game.

Maybe they'll get put back on it once MW3 is out.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
If they ever go back to that project, I hope they change from third-person to first person, Dead Space wasn't really scary and the third person didn't help.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Meh, probably going to do something like this for a whole game to wrap up the COD zombies storyline thing which they've started developing...
Anyway this sounds like 'innavation? FUCK IT MOAR MONEY MOAR MONEY NOW!!!'
:(

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Doesn't surprise me that it'd be like Dead Space given that there are some higher ups in Sledgehammer who came from Visceral if I am not mistaken.

The idea of something unique to Call of Duty is of course nice given the fact it's been largely unchanged in the past four iterations of the game.

Maybe they'll get put back on it once MW3 is out.
From what I have heard, it's not been cancelled but put on hold.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
sounds interesting. I hope they don't abandon this, because I love Dead Space

and hey, maybe if they stretch their innovating muscles a little and get it to sell, maybe other companies can follow suit.

I can dream, can't I?

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
You know? I keep wondering when Activision will release a new series called "call of the dead" with a "military vs zombies (or armed zombies)" kinda game...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I guess they decided to leave the innovation for the experts. Probably for the best.
CoD junkies will keep getting their fix, and the rest of us will play something else.

I like FPS, but I expect modern FPS games need to have more than just point, shoot, reload, repeat.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
A call of duty that sounds more interesting than any new update they give about the current one. I think however it will be hard for them to break away from the "WE ARE AMERICAN SOLDIERS SO NATURALLY WE ARE AWESOME" vibe I get when ever I hear about the games.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
imnotparanoid said:
So they tryed soemthing diffrent for once...
Then ditched it?
Because if done right that could be pretty cool.

[INSERT COMMENT ABOUT HOW BATTLEFIELD 3 WILL BEAT MW3[small]Joke[/small]]
I'm not sure how the studio that made Dead Space was trying to do something different by adding elements from Dead Space. It just seems kind of lazy, like "Hey cut that Necromorph and lets get a dude with an AK in there." Not saying it wouldn't be interesting, but I mean they could try depart from the RE4 format.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
SO the big thing is that they were planning of making a game that took place underground and was creepy instead of above ground and not so creepy. That's not an innovation that a broad setting categorization like fantasy or sci-fi.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
How cute they think Dead Space was funny, oh Dead Space how I hate thee, anyway I don't think it would've fit Call of Duty anyway, they should release it as a new IP maybe? I mean you just say from the creators of CoD MW, a Dead Space inspired game! And I think that'll be enough to sell it, maybe it could work as an spin off too. Regardless my opinion probably shouldn't matter due to my hate of Dead Space and the fact that I've never played CoD for more than 5 minutes.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Well, I understand why they dumped that idea.
BECAUSE IT HAD ACTUAL POTENTIAL.
*/Call of Duty Hate*

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
after that one ENN report "with" Sledgehammer...just can't seem to take the dev seriously anymore =P