Max Payne Gets a Date

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Max Payne Gets a Date

Rockstar Games has announced that Max Payne 3 will be out in March 2012, with support for a host of new multiplayer options.

After years of waiting - eight long years for some of us - Rockstar has finally given Max Payne 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-3-Pc/dp/B00178631E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315494412&sr=8-3] an official launch date, sort of. It's not exactly pinpoint-precise but at least it's something you can circle on the calendar: March 2012 is the big month, which will eventually be narrowed down to a big day, when the fatter, balder, not-a-New-York-detective-anymore Max Payne will finally make his return to videogame screens everywhere.

The connections between the previous Payne [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-Pc/dp/B00002SUOV/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1315494412&sr=8-8] games and this one seem, at this point at least, more than a little tenuous. Instead of a painkiller-addicted NYPD detective haunted by the murder of his family and the unspeakable magnitude of his revenge, he's working as an overweight, under-dressed bodyguard for a wealthy family in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The only real link is that the stalwart Max is still haunted by his demons and will once again descend into an orgy of mass murder to try to rid himself of them, once and for all.

The new Max Payne will also bring multiplayer to the series for the first time ever, with support for "traditional multiplayer modes" - deathmatch and CTF, I guess - as well as "a deep reward and leveling system, persistent clans and multiple strategic load-out options." It's a long way from a fugitive undercover cop with nothing to lose, but hey, it might be good anyway. So remember: Max Payne 3. March 2012. PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Everything ripped apart in a Sao Paulo minute. Don't miss it!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
March 2012. So... it'll be competing with Mass Effect 3? Huh. Good luck with that.

Somehow I get the feeling that this was one of those games that was originally being developed as a new IP, but then had the Max Payne name stamped on it further down the line.

Also, did anyone else click this link thinking they meant "date" in the sense of wine, dinner and candles?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, i don't know what to say. Good that it finally has a date, i suppose.
The game doesn't really need multiplayer, in my opinion, but not having one seems to be an invalid opinion these days...
Also, my birthday is in March, so please don't disappoint me, Max.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Just ain't Payne without slow-motion.
Also I will be disappointed if his health regens.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Can't wait for the third and i'm glad to hear it hasn't been abandoned. They've even given me a multiplayer option to ignore!

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Gotta hope we still get our bullet-time, comic strip plot and crazy dream sequences :D
EDIT: hehe, 2000th post 8D

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Am I the only one slightly disappointed this isn't about Max getting a new ass kicking female companion?

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Caliostro said:
Am I the only one slightly disappointed this isn't about Max getting a new ass kicking female companion?
Yeah, real shame about Mona.

Still, looking forward to MP3, hope it'll live up to its parents.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The potential upside is that Rockstar has released screens featuring the "classic" Max, so maybe there will be some kind of meaningful connection made between the two. It's great to have another Max Payne game, Max Payne 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, but if MP3 only gives a perfunctory nod to what's gone before, it'll be a huge disappointment no matter what the gameplay is like.

And yes, very sad about Mona. I hope the game pays some attention to that issue too: Max's big hangup is obviously his family but there's no way Mona isn't a big part of his fractured psyche, too.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Why is he a bodyguard for a wealthy family? He was a detective that chased wealthy corrupt people.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Matthew94 said:
hazabaza1 said:
His health regenerated in the other games. God, you people just look for a reason to complain.
-snip-
Uh, didn't he (and Mona) only regenerate a bit when they were almost dead? After that you had to continue healing with painkillers (unless I'm mistaken, of course).

OT: I'm not setting my hopes up for the game, but I'm interested in how it turns out. I really liked the first two and it's a shame that Remedy didn't continue the series, but I guess the studio doesn't want to stick with one franchise for too long.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Matthew94 said:
hazabaza1 said:
His health regenerated in the other games. God, you people just look for a reason to complain.

OT I'm watching this game with a lot of caution and some mild enthusiasm.
I mean fully regen, not just at near death.
Plus, I never said "IT'S TERRIBLE AND I WON'T BUY IT" I just said I'd be disappointed because it'd remove a lot of the caution that you have to use in the first two games. It'll still probably be good, just different.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm happy with this, you can only tell the same story so many times and the character design suggests a story focus again instead of making someone whose aim is to look relatable and cool

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The potential upside is that Rockstar has released screens featuring the "classic" Max, so maybe there will be some kind of meaningful connection made between the two. It's great to have another Max Payne game, Max Payne 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, but if MP3 only gives a perfunctory nod to what's gone before, it'll be a huge disappointment no matter what the gameplay is like.

And yes, very sad about Mona. I hope the game pays some attention to that issue too: Max's big hangup is obviously his family but there's no way Mona isn't a big part of his fractured psyche, too.
I played Max Payne 1 and 2 too many times to count, I will be upset if they ruin it. But why the multi player? Was there any demand for this or are they just tacking it on to appease that minority of annoying idiots who refuse to buy anything without multi player?