Gamers Act Like Human Beings in Call of Duty: Elite

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Gamers Act Like Human Beings in Call of Duty: Elite

Call of Duty: Elite's community acts surprisingly civil.

Could the days of hateful bigots describing lurid acts with your mother in online first-person shooters be drawing to a close? Call of Duty has not been known for its mature, understanding demographic lately, but the upcoming Call of Duty: Elite service might change that. Beta testers of Activision's content subscription service have generally been supportive and social with each other, according to a company VP. This community-building might not be enough to break the rushing tide of foul-mouthed prepubescent boys, but it's a step in the right direction.

The way to break bad online shooter habits was to develop a system that helps players feel less anonymous. Elite members can find other players through a social network that documents common interests and personal qualities rather than raw scores. "They're so happy to actually have a place to be part of a community, not a message board," says Jamie Berger, a digital VP at Activision. "It creates a social contract. How can we start behaving as if we live in a neighborhood? You try to treat your neighbors with respect."

Since Berger's experience is with the beta testing community, the retail reality may prove to be a different story entirely. Beta testers are often dedicated fans who want to bring legitimate insight to a favorite series. Still, at an asking price of $49.99 per year, Elite should weed out more casual, hate-filled players.

If Call of Duty: Elite can maintain civility after its retail launch, it will still only be a drop of good manners in an ocean of disrespect. Still, courtesy has to start somewhere. Those of you who plan to subscribe to Elite, the ball is in your court now.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36943/Interview_Activisions_Berger_On_Creating_A_Healthier_Social_Game_Through_Elite.php]

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Simple: if someone is consistently obnoxious online have someone hunt them down and shoot them. No problem that can't be solved with shootin' people.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
They're beta testers. The majority of people who take the time to actually sign up for a beta and give feedback are usually more intelligent than your average herp derp obnoxious fan. Intelligence = manners.

And they'll have less kids on the damn thing.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
First off, beta.

Second off, mature adults with money can afford Elite. Immature kids will just beg their parents for it. even if they manage to get it, it's not guaranteed they'll be allowed to renew it.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
You know, up until now, I was all gung ho about the fact that CoD Elite was a stupid idiotic cash grab, but maybe it has a silver lining. Hmmm.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I still stand by the only thing that could possibly get me to buy Elite is access to some dedicated servers on the console version.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Gxas said:
First off, beta.

Second off, mature adults with money can afford Elite. Immature kids will just beg their parents for it. even if they manage to get it, it's not guaranteed they'll be allowed to renew it.
I would argue there will be more frat boy students on elite. Yes adults can afford it but they also tend to have families, mortgages and other commitments that make something like elite less of a priority.

Its all guesswork at the moment. We will have to wait until it goes live. Interesting times but I will not be paying a subscription, even if I am curious.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
bjj hero said:
Gxas said:
First off, beta.

I would argue there will be more frat boy students on elite. Yes adults can afford it but they also tend to have families, mortgages and other commitments that make something like elite less of a priority.

Its all guesswork at the moment. We will have to wait until it goes live. Interesting times but I will not be paying a subscription, even if I am curious.
Well, I mean, I consider myself an adult, being 21 and having a steady job and all. Yeah, I can be immature, but I keep that offline and have since I first started online gaming.

But you're right, we will definitely have to wait to see what happens when it goes live.

Jaxtor

Oct 9, 2009
I think they may be shooting themselves in the foot by calling it "Elite", since that's what all the kids will want to be associated with and will pester their parents to pay for.

If they called it the "Oldies Club" or something, the kids would stay far for the better of everyone involved.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Beta testers most certainly will not be an accurate representation of the retail experience. However, I do think that paying an extra $50 a year for the subscription will help weed out a few idiots. I don't think it will be as big an impact as people seem to think, though.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Gxas said:
Well, I mean, I consider myself an adult, being 21 and having a steady job and all. Yeah, I can be immature, but I keep that offline and have since I first started online gaming.

But you're right, we will definitely have to wait to see what happens when it goes live.
I'm not saying you are not an adult. I uess was more thinking about guys in their 30s. Turns out the world doesn't actually revolve around me huh? And you will never get too old to be immature.

Im curious, will you be getting elite?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
dogstile said:
They're beta testers. The majority of people who take the time to actually sign up for a beta and give feedback are usually more intelligent than your average herp derp obnoxious fan. Intelligence = manners.

And they'll have less kids on the damn thing.
This. It doesn't matter how civil it is now, later it will be worse when you get more people signing up for it. Assholes are everywhere, Call of Duty Elite won't change that.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
bjj hero said:
Gxas said:

I'm not saying you are not an adult. I uess was more thinking about guys in their 30s. Turns out the world doesn't actually revolve around me huh? And you will never get too old to be immature.

Im curious, will you be getting elite?
Currently, I'm still just debating taking the game to multiplayer. I have some anger issues and I've been known to take them with me online. Not through voice-chat, just yelling at the screen and to myself. I was really good at MW2, Halo: 3 - Reach, and Gears of War. Extremely good, if I do say so myself. But, playing all of those games led me down a bad path... I could have developed an ulcer if I kept it up.

Lately, I've been calmer and had less rage, so I was going to try Gears 3 online again. Depending on how that goes, I might go for MW3 as well. Time will tell, but I feel like Elite would be worthwhile, for how into the game I tend to get.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Gxas said:
First off, beta.

These two points are entirely valid and exactly what I was going to say. Betas are always more civil; I've seen friends put off games when they actually come out because the community changes.

If I were still into CoD online I'd consider it, but.... I feel $49.99 is unjustifiable unless it gives you private servers run by Activision; the fact Kotick seems to think us Brits can and will pay more probably means it'll likely be even more expensive over here.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Implying that kids are the only trolls out there.

The worst ones are the adults that talk smack and pay for it all on their own. This fantasy about kids being the only deplorable ones out there is beyond me. My little brother sure as hell never does it when he plays Black Ops.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Well obviously the Beta Testers would be civil, that's why Activision picked them in the first place.