Activision Wins ModernWarfare3.com Dispute

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Wins ModernWarfare3.com Dispute

The owner of the ModernWarfare3.com domain has been ordered to turn it over to Activision.

It came to light in ModernWarfare3.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111694-Activision-Mad-About-Modern-Warfare-3-Site-Trying-to-Get-it-Taken-Down] domain, which you might assume Activision would have put a death-grip on years ago, was actually in the hands of an unknown individual who had nothing to do with the company or the game. This naturally did not sit well with Activision, which filed an official complaint with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers claiming that the domain was being used in bad faith and demanding it be turned over to its control.

Score one for Activision: a three-member panel of the National Arbitration Forum has ruled in its favor and ordered that the domain holder, identified as one Anthony Abraham, hand it over. Abraham, a die-hard Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Pc/dp/B002I0HJZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315503214&sr=8-3], claimed in his defense that the term "modern warfare" is generic and "not monopolized" by Activision. The panel, however, agreed that Activision had proved its case on three points: that the domain name is "identical or confusingly similar" to its trademark, that Abraham had no legitimate interest in it and that it was being used in bad faith.

The domain has been mostly offline since the controversy began and was still unreachable at last check. No time-frame for the transfer was given in the ruling, which can be read in full at the National Arbitration Forum [http://domains.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/1398954.htm], although I imagine it would be expected to be more or less immediate. And while Activision isn't exactly the easiest company to sympathize with, in this case I don't there's any question that it was in the right.

Modern Warfare 3 comes out on November 8 for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and Nintendo DS.

via: Fusible [http://fusible.com/2011/09/modernwarfare3-com-domain-name-battle-ends-with-an-activision-triumph/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I feel that I should be annoyed by Activision's lawyers stomping on a private website.

But, well... the guy was being an obnoxious fanboy. It's rather hard to give a damn.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
It was kind of funny, but you should know when to stop. And that moment of knowing has arrived.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
Quite amusing at the time, but not surprised or shocked by this ruling. Don't even object to it, to be honest. The whole thing was a laugh, but fair is fair and Activision deserve the win.

Of course, they should really have been on the ball to begin with and sorted stuff like that out. Don't they employ marketting people to arrange things like this?

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
While he did use it to bash MW3, I still don't see how a site named moderwarfare can be associated with CoD:Mw3, It´s the scroll dispute all over again.

Will make a site called modenwarfare5.com and it will be about the 5th modern generation of warfare, wanna bet they will sue me and take that site also?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Does this matter anymore? The guy made his point, of course he wouldn't be able to hold onto the site.

Good on him for trying though.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
kebab4you said:
While he did use it to bash MW3, I still don't see how a site named moderwarfare can be associated with CoD:Mw3, It´s the scroll dispute all over again.

Will make a site called modenwarfare5.com and it will be about the 5th modern generation of warfare, wanna bet they will sue me and take that site also?
Well the site was called moderwarfare3 and was being used to bash call of duty modern warfare 3. That right there both associates it with the game and qualifies for use of bad faith. Also generally a site that uses the same name as a product and is used only to bassh a product is not considered a legitimate use.
Well I got that but I would argue like him that modernwarfare is to generic to be associated with the franchise even if he DID use it to bash them for making a popo game. But out over that if you was to do as I suggested about mw5, do you think they would still try to steal the site name from me?

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Oh well, Activision was in the right on this one but it was still funny while it lasted.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
kebab4you said:
Satsuki666 said:
kebab4you said:

Well the site was called moderwarfare3 and was being used to bash call of duty modern warfare 3. That right there both associates it with the game and qualifies for use of bad faith. Also generally a site that uses the same name as a product and is used only to bassh a product is not considered a legitimate use.
Well I got that but I would argue like him that modernwarfare is to generic to be associated with the franchise. But out over that if you was to do as I suggested about mw5, do you think they would still try to steal the site name from me?
If you were using it to bash the Modern Warfare series, yes, and they would be completely right to do so.

If the site were unrelated, and you made a point of having stuff that was not related to the game series - or videogames at all - then they likely wouldn't.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
yuval152 said:
That's old news ^_^.
Do tell?
it was on joystiq yesterday,also saw i think i also saw it on rock paper shotgun.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/07/activision-wins-ruling-regains-control-of-modernwarfare3-com/

(and yes a day diffrence means old news) also no dick intendend.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
As much as I hate Activision, thinking they wouldn't have won the case even without their high powered lawyers is rather silly.