Have A Look At The Deus Ex "Missing Link" DLC

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Have A Look At The Deus Ex "Missing Link" DLC

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Missing Link" add-on is coming next month, but thanks to Square Enix you can catch a glimpse of it right now.

Those of you who have yet to play through the entirety of Deus Ex: Human Revolution may want to stop reading right here. I'm going to try to avoid spoiling anything, but given the game's circuitous story and my suspect-at-best ability to tell reality from fiction, I can't guarantee that I won't slip up and reveal that Adam Jensen shoots Dumbledore at the end.

Uh ... sorry.

Now, I can assume that those of you still with me are familiar with Jensen's fight against mysterious technofascists on the streets of near-future Detroit. Presumably you've also heard whispers about the game's upcoming DLC. Until now they've really only been rumors, but in an official press release this morning, publisher Square Enix made things official: "Missing Link" is coming to the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC iterations of the game this October.

Alongside this official "thumbs up" Square Enix has also issued a smattering of media from the upcoming DLC release, including that teaser you see embedded above, and the screenshots in the gallery below.

What exactly is "Missing Link?" I'll let the press release explain:

After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, gamers will befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events of DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION!

Setting aside that bizarrely excitable punctuation at the end, this all seems pretty typical for our protagonist. At least it would, if Belltower hadn't stripped him of his augmentations. That's an interesting twist, if only because it gives pretentious gaming writers a chance to ruminate on the sociopolitical implications of suddenly removing the "super" from the "man" in a dystopian world brought to the brink by the very existence of the technological Übermensch.

Can society rebuild? Can we heal the indelible schisms wrought by the literal cutting edge of technology? Have we spent centuries staring into the mechanized abyss only to fall prey to Nietzsche's familiar idiom?

More importantly, can I still murder people with refrigerators?

[gallery=474]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
That crying sounded scarily like cortana going insane in Halo 3...

OT: Looks pretty good, wont be getting it though.
CONFOUNDED BANDWIDTH CAP

Dec 14, 2009
I think the real question is this.

Is Jenson now going to be cool enough to beat the bad guys now that he's lost the +20% coolness bonus of his instant sunglasses?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'm still unsure if I can take it seriously.

"He's had his augmentations disabled"....

Great so he can barely breathe, can't hear, can't see and his arms hang limply at his side?

When what they really mean is...

"We decided to take all the cool shit away that you loved through the main game and give you back the Adam Jenson that got his arse handed to him and beat to shit in the first 5 minutes of the game ......... good luck guys and gals".

And with those pointless comments i'll go back to playing it while I still have all my cool shit.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm currently in love with the game so I'll be buying everything regardless.

Good to know this is looking great.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I haven't played the new Deus Ex game yet, but let me try and get this straight. The DLC is me playing without the cool augmentations that basically make Deus Ex?
Considering the DLC will make the game more unbalanced, I would say this is a small plus.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Is Jenson now going to be cool enough to beat the bad guys now that he's lost the +20% coolness bonus of his instant sunglasses?
I see the VG cats reference, and I like it. Anyway, without augmentations there won't be any take-downs. That's gonna make things difficult.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
FlashHero said:
If it's very story heavy...then it should have been in the game.
Um, maybe you should actually PLAY DE:HR before bitching? Basically, this DLC pack is going to take place during a timefade. It might be a story-heavy mission, but it won't detract, or add to, the central story already in the game. You won't need it to beat the game, and you won't need it to truly conclude the story. So you are wrong, and pretty much just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Listen, I know it's cool and hip to hate on DLC, but you really should try to do some research before you try and look cool, alright?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
So yeah, we decided that we'd take what made our cover based shooter interesting and turn it off, just for kicks.

That's the vibe i'm getting. I loved deus ex but this does seem a little silly. How can you simply turn off an augment. Is he gonna be unable to walk and see now?

Edit:

No i've not watched the video teaser, if that answers it. My attention is everywhere right now

Dec 14, 2009
RobotNinja said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I see the VG cats reference, and I like it. Anyway, without augmentations there won't be any take-downs. That's gonna make things difficult.
I knew someone would pick up on it :D

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Rawne1980 said:

Great so he can barely breathe, can't hear, can't see and his arms hang limply at his side?

"We decided to take all the cool shit away that you loved through the main game and give you back the Adam Jenson that got his arse handed to him and beat to shit in the first 5 minutes of the game ......... good luck guys and gals".

And with those pointless comments i'll go back to playing it while I still have all my cool shit.
Though, in the same token, shouldn't getting EMP'd mean a total shutdown for him and most other heavily augmented soldiers? Maybe they'll answer the question in the DLC :O

As for the cool shit, eh, seeing through walls and parachuting from high distances is nice, but imo it's not a deal breaker. Stealthing around without those abilities in the first mission (Zeke taking hostages) was pretty fun too.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I bet my fucking ass that this was one of those important parts of the game that got cut because they didnt have time to finish it before release.

If I have to play the whole damn game again to play it, if its tied in somewhere in the middle, im gonna be fucking mad.
In my second playthrough, I made saves at the beginning of every chapter in anticipation for that exact problem :p

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Rawne1980 said:

They do seem oddly specific with which augmentations they're turning off.

'Quick! We've captured him! Turn off his hacking augments!'

'Couldn't we just turn off all his augments? I mean, if we turn off his legs he can hardly go anywh-'

'I SAID TURN OFF HIS HACKING!!!'

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
I didn't pay for a game to have stripped content sold to me later so no, not getting this.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
"Mr Jensen, struggling is useless... It would be easier just not to resist... Any resistance is futile, Adam, you see, in my infinite wisdom I have decided to turn off your ICARUS LANDING SYSTEM!!!! TAKE THAT ************!!! NO MORE JUMPING OFF LEDGES FOR YOU, NOW YOU HAVE TO USE LADDERS! MUHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
HAHA Mr Jensen! Try to escape now that there is a vending machine in front of the door!!! HAHAHAHA!!