Modern Warfare 3 Will Feature LAN Support

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 Will Feature LAN Support

Activision really, really wants PC gamers to enjoy Modern Warfare 3.

PC gamers have another reason to be excited about the upcoming Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00503E8S2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0TJX3V3FXFB5ZRFAJCAB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846], as Infinity Ward's creative strategist Robert Bowling has confirmed that the game will support LAN play, as well as other features useful for competitive play.

Posting on Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/110502118787522560], Bowling said that as well as LAN support, Modern Warfare 3 would also feature "detailed class restriction control," and "default class creation option." This, when combined with the full support for player-run dedicated servers, makes MW3 a very - and perhaps unusually - PC friendly game. Activision seems to have pulled a real u-turn over the Modern Warfare games. MW2 wasn't anti-PC, per se, but Infinity Ward did not go out of its way to optimise it for the platform. But for MW3, Infinity Ward seems to be bending over backwards to stuff as many PC-specific features into the game as it can.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical here, but I can't help but feel that this is less about making Modern Warfare 3 seem more appealing, and more about making Activision seem more appealing. It's hard to see the game getting any major benefit from having LAN support - at least not from a sales point of view - but the benefit to Activision itself might be a lot more significant. Both Dan Amrich [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109590-Activision-Hate-Understandable-But-Unfair-Says-Social-Media-Guru] and Eric Hirshberg [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102099-Activision-CEO-We-Need-to-Fix-Our-Hardcore-Reputation], Activision's social media guru and publishing CEO respectively, have both talked about ways to repair Activision's reputation among hardcore gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the ways the publisher intends to do it.

In my mind, there are two questions to ask. The first is whether this is a sincere effort to build bridges with the gaming community, or if the intention is just to appear more soft and fuzzy than in the past. The second is whether or not it matters if gamers are benefiting either way.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5838603/modern-warfare-3-courting-hardcore-pc-gamers-with-lan-support]

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Really? Activision is releasing a PC game with LAN support in this day and age? I might buy it just to support what they're doing. I'm more excited about the new Couterstrike personally, but I've never actually played any of the COD games so maybe this will be my first introduction. Kudos to Activision, now if Blizzard could follow suit and patch LAN into SC2 and implement it in D3.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Interesting. I still don't enjoy 15$ mappacks, but this is a step in the right direction.

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
This could well be the feature that sells the game for me. I've been looking for ages for a new LAN enabled FPS. Well played MW3,well played ...

Lattyware

Jun 15, 2011
Since when was it cynical to believe a company was doing something because it was good for the fanbase, not because it would make for more profit?

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Perhaps I'm just being cynical here, but I can't help but feel that this is less about selling more copies - the game will sell well without all this extra effort - and more about winning hearts and minds.
I'm confused. Is winning hearts and minds the cynical alternative?

SomeGuyNamedKy

Sep 25, 2008
This might convince me to buy the game.

Keyword: Might

Give me greater mod support, then we'll talk.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
funny how this year when cod is up against bf3 there bending over backwards to try to appeal more to the pc community then their last sorry atempt -_- sorry im not buying it

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I don't understand why pretty much everyone has taken LAN out of their games to begin with. Oh wait, yes I do. They can't sell you shit unless you're online. LAN is a feature that should be so common that it shouldn't make headlines.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
silverbullet1989 said:
funny how this year when cod is up against bf3 there bending over backwards to try to appeal more to the pc community then their last sorry atempt -_- sorry im not buying it
I'm in the same boat as you. It's too little, too late.

Just like as much as EA has tried to screw up BF3, it still has the you know...far superior looking gameplay.

That's what sells me on games the most. All the outside extras are nice, but that's all they are, extras. If the core experience is stale or turned to crap, then you can pin every extra in the world on it, but that doesn't change it.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Well, that's good I guess. It's just that a game having LAN support shouldn't be news. Same with dedicated servers.

It's like saying "this car comes with a RADIO!". That's cool, but pretty much all cars have had radios for a long time. It's not a good selling point.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
What does ' player-run dedicated servers ' mean exactly ?

I am pretty sure it means players can hire a dedicated server from autherised server rental providers, and control it via a rcon interface.

... dare I hope it means server files ? Guess not.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
silverbullet1989 said:
I'm in the same boat as you. It's too little, too late.

Just like as much as EA has tried to screw up BF3, it still has the you know...far superior looking gameplay.

That's what sells me on games the most. All the outside extras are nice, but that's all they are, extras. If the core experience is stale or turned to crap, then you can pin every extra in the world on it, but that doesn't change it.
as much as EA have tried to screw it up, i have faith in dice and i doubt they would allow EA to do anything (other then this origin thing...) to screw up their biggest release in years.

Activision on the other hand have just taken with each release, restricting modding, servers, removal of free content etc... i just cant bare to waste my money again this year on a game i will get bord of in weeks. Appart from that, with the sorry state black ops came out in for the pc i just arnt gonna bother any more.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ayjona said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Perhaps I'm just being cynical here, but I can't help but feel that this is less about selling more copies - the game will sell well without all this extra effort - and more about winning hearts and minds.
I'm confused. Is winning hearts and minds the cynical alternative?
It can be, it depends on the motive.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Perhaps I'm just being cynical here, but I can't help but feel that this is less about selling more copies - the game will sell well without all this extra effort - and more about winning hearts and minds. Both Dan Amrich [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109590-Activision-Hate-Understandable-But-Unfair-Says-Social-Media-Guru] and Eric Hirshberg [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102099-Activision-CEO-We-Need-to-Fix-Our-Hardcore-Reputation], Activision's social media guru and publishing CEO respectively, have both talked about ways to repair Activision's reputation among hardcore gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the ways the publisher intends to do it.
How is that paragraph you being cynical?

OT: Cool stuff. Bit sad that this is relatively big news nowadays considering we pretty much had it as a standard 10 years ago, but still cool. Thumbs up.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
If I do buy it, it'll be for the Xbox. Because even though the PC version will have LAN, I'm sure Activision knows which bread it's buttered on...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if there's no Theater mode, well then i'm definitely not buying it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
A modern game with extra features that developers figured out 20 years ago?! How dare you!

Whats next, will you start putting colors in our games? It's an outrage I say!