Crysis Coming to Consoles

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Crysis Coming to Consoles

Console gamers will finally have the chance to play one of the most critically acclaimed PC titles of all time.

Following rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111409-Crysis-Rumored-for-Xbox-360] about a console release two months ago, developer Crytek has revealed that the original Crysis will be released on the XBLA and PSN in October 2011. The full game, featuring updated lighting and a re-vamped nanosuit, will cost around $20.

"We have been secretly working on [a console release for Crysis] for a while," said Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli in an interview with GameTrailers.com [http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/131?ch=4]. He added that fans of the series have been asking about a console release for "years" and that the game, in his opinion, looks "just awesome."

The "updated" Crysis will feature enhanced lighting, new special effects and "all-new" controls for the protagonist's nanosuit. The Xbox 360 gameplay footage in this announcement trailer [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-crysis/720428] certainly looks very pretty too.

If your PC is anywhere near as feeble as mine, you too will have missed out on the critically-acclaimed Crysis the first time round. Back in 2007, it achieved its unrivalled level of visual splendor by demanding serious performance from PCs; the only question that remains is how Crytek will manage to retain that level of visual refinement on lower-spec consoles. That being said, Crysis 2 wasn't exactly ugly [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8740-Crysis-2-Review]. Even if it means reducing some consoles to hyperventilating messes, it'll be still be worth it.

Source: GameTrailers.com [http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/131?ch=4]

Dec 14, 2009
Critically acclaimed?

I thought people considered it a slightly above average FPS? That's always the consensus I see anyway.

The only thing people were impressed by were the graphics.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Looks impressive other than the lack of foliage and the downgraded textures. Doesn't look like it will be the definitive version at all, however.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
20 bucks?! cool. I already own the first one on PC, I wouldn't mind buying again for that price. I'm interested in how the framerate will hold up since Crysis 2 on PS3 had awful framerate dips even when installed.

Apr 28, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Critically acclaimed?

I thought people considered it a slightly above average FPS? That's always the consensus I see anyway.

Oh no, it's got much more going for it than that. Mainly the freedom you have to tackle all missions.

If people thought Crysis 2 was "open-ended", then prepare to be surprised. Though I hope they don't screw the nanosuit and make it like 2's. Which would suck.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Probably the best thing about the first Crysis was it's engine. So massively customisable, hence the recent Crash Bandicoot mod, and the Back to the Future car mod. Oh, and it was very pretty.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Critically acclaimed?

And the level of freedom to approach any situation, huge sandbox environments and the Nanosuit abilities, which if used right are quite hilarious sometimes. (Seriously, punching a dude with your fists and jumping into the nearest bush never gets old.)

Dec 14, 2009
Irridium said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Critically acclaimed?

Oh no, it's got much more going for it than that. Mainly the freedom you have to tackle all missions.

If people thought Crysis 2 was "open-ended", then prepare to be surprised. Though I hope they don't screw the nanosuit and make it like 2's. Which would suck.
Packie_J said:
And the level of freedom to approach any situation, huge sandbox environments and the Nanosuit abilities, which if used right are quite hilarious sometimes. (Seriously, punching a dude with your fists and jumping into the nearest bush never gets old.)
Ah, that sounds good then.

I just very rarely hear anyone singing the game's praises beyond graphics.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Will they fix the brain dead AI this time?
I had a mod that fixed it.

Regarding Crysis coming to consoles though. As nice as it would be for everyone to finally play the first one, because in my opinion the first one was better than the sequel, the fact that they're using Cryengine 3 and basically cutting things out means that nobody will get the same experience. The best pats of Crysis 1 was making clever use of the various suit modes to dispatch your enemies, and stream lining the functions like they did in C2 will diminish that.

In short: Great, but it wont be as good.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
the only question that remains is how Crytek will manage to retain that level of visual refinement on lower-spec consoles
Reduced textures, draw distance, poly count and resolution... not that hard, won't look anything like the original but it's not like console players will compare.

But releasing it at 20$ is mighty decent of them, most respect.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I'll be damned... this may be the first thread I'll see that won't have PC enthusiasts demonizing consoles (since they already their game with all their fancy little hotkeys).

I may not be fond of FPSs but I'm not abhorrent to them. I'll give this a spin when it drops.

Observation: Ah, never mind. Disregard that first part. ¬__¬

andreas3K

Feb 6, 2010
Fucking yes. Crysis 2 with big open jungle levels. I'll get it. Shove your PC up your nose.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Even though I played both on PC I'm certainly not against multi-format releases and if it gets more people playing the original I'm all for it, remains one of my favorite games to this day and now everyone has a chance to play it, altered graphics don't really bother me so long as the gameplay remains the same.

and with any luck will give Crytek a reason to make Crysis 3

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Crysis 2 was enjoyable but not worth playing again. Its a generic FPS with the illusion of freedom. I heard the 1st one is so much better, but after C2 i dont know if i will bother. PC people are already annoyed by this. But then with C2, they got their own special update with better reflections and particle effects etc but the game is still the same generic FPS it was, just looks prettier. You hear the saying "you cant shine shit?" not that im saying C2 is a shit game, it isnt. But making the graphics nicer doesnt make the game better.

Will wait for the demo. Far Cry 1 & 2 was sold as an open FPS, an that was the same slightly wide corridor shooter as every other FPS game ever released.