Tech-Testing Ghost City Comes Straight Out Of Sci-Fi

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Tech-Testing Ghost City Comes Straight Out Of Sci-Fi

A D.C.-based company is funding a $200 million ghost city that will be used for testing purposes.

New Mexico is already associated with a <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_incident>bizarre incident, so why not add more weirdness in the form of a purposefully abandoned city? The Center, a 20-square-mile area capable of housing 35,000 people, will give innovators a place to test out new tech without the possibility of harming people.

Pegasus Global Holding, the Washington, D.C. company funding the project, said the ghost town could be used to test wireless networks, renewable energy advancements, smart traffic systems, and smart-grid cyber security systems (Read: Skynet).

To ensure accurate testing, some buildings will feature a modern style, whereas others will be constructed to simulate old buildings. The area will have working utilities, traffic-control systems, and business and residential districts.

There's also nobody around to see what's going on, if you want to take this in a creepy, Umbrella Corporation direction.

Bob Brumley, CEO, asserts the $200 million project will be the first of its kind in the United States.

"The idea for The Center was born out of our own company's challenges in trying to test new and emerging technologies beyond the confines of a sterile lab environment," Brumley said. "The Center will allow private companies, not for profits, educational institutions and government agencies to test in a unique facility with real world infrastructure, allowing them to better understand the cost and potential limitations of new technologies prior to introduction."

Any bets on what they'll do with The Center once the testing stops? I've heard Aperture Science is looking to expand facilities. Or maybe they'll turn it into The Village, perhaps?

Source: <a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/tech-company-to-build-science-ghost-town-in-nm-backer-says-project-will-be-economic-boost/2011/09/06/gIQA9tAH7J_story.html>Washington Post

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well they are careful to say "In the US" you'll notice, I am pretty sure I've read about this in other countries before, so it's pretty much a "meh" development. I seem to also remember reading that US companies tend to do this kind of thing out on man made islands, developed similarly to how cruise lines develop their resort islands... something which always struck me as being safer. All sci-fi aside, you can really quarantine an island or drop a nuke on it if something went really wrong. That kind of thing being where the fiction behind evil corperations and what they might be doing in their elbaorate facilities comes from, there is some grain of truth behind a lot of fiction.

At any rate, it's cool, and we'll see where it goes.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Anyone ever seen that show "Persons Unknown"? Yeah, that's pretty much what they seem to be doing here. Creepy.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
And i live in the same state as that...

Honestly, i'll crack up if this turns out to be like the super computer we have here.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
So, the country is about to go bankrupt due to a massive state debt, and these jokers want to waste 200 million?!?!
What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!