Paintball Homage Tops Actual Call Of Duty Cinematics

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Paintball Homage Tops Actual Call Of Duty Cinematics

Capture The Can is the greatest Call of Duty video you'll see today, and it doesn't actually have anything to do with the game.

This clip is actually a music video for Porter Robinson's "Spitfire." [http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/spitfire/id463157502] Incredibly, it was shot with a high-speed camera cleverly edited to appear as one single, long take. The floating, CoD-esque name tags were added in post-production, but otherwise this thing is glorious testament to the creative power of the gamer generation -- particularly now that we're old enough to convince wealthy investors to fork over real budgetary cash.

Now, I don't want to sound like the hyper-caffeinated, overgrown five-year-old that I almost definitely am, but there is a certain sequence seen at 1:05, that is just wicked sweet.

Our "protagonist" sprints across the top of a car, leaps off the roof, spins in mid-air and guns down a player hiding inside the trunk of the same vehicle. Straight up, that was awesome, even with that dog being a jerk about the whole thing.

Director Saman Keshavarz has also posted a "making of" video [http://youtu.be/bPY0b0mVZ5o] to his YouTube channel that explains what went into the choreography and actual filming of this thing. It's recommended for film students, and anyone who watched that clip and found themselves agreeing with that petulant pooch.

If I have one complaint about the clip however (aside from my Portland-based qualms with dance music in general), it's with the swears at the end. I realize that it could both be taken as an excited exaltation of what we've just watched, and a mirror of the behavior of online shooter players as a whole, but it casts a hint of a juvenilism over what is otherwise a video that more than speaks for itself.

It's like a terrible touchdown dance after a 50-yard breakaway sprint to the goal line.

Somewhere Ickey Woods is shaking his head (with undeniable funk).

Source: Geekologie [http://www.geekologie.com/2011/09/capture-the-can-first-person-shooter-sty.php]

CombiBlood

Nov 18, 2009
This is how paintball should be portrayed in movies not for comedy effect or for a nerdy date to laugh at in a sitcom

Stuberfinn88

Nov 13, 2009
It does bring back a few memories of my years of taking paintball seriously, its the closest that regular film has gotten to the feel of real paintball(besides actual tournament games). It just saddens me that the only showmanship of decent paintball form was with the player in the orange beanie.

To also point out things that are obviously not allowed in paintball, but are needlessly shown in these kinds of videos is that dogs/pets are forbidden on the field, they can get seriously hurt and die, and climbing on cover and obstacles, its extremely hazardous with the fact that paint is technically animal fat, and is very slippery if not cleaned off regularly, so climbing on boats/cars is asking to get face planted, break a marker on hitting the ground or worse by landing on the marker itself and having the tank threads rupture which is deadly.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Stuberfinn88 said:
It does bring back a few memories of my years of taking paintball seriously, its the closest that regular film has gotten to the feel of real paintball(besides actual tournament games). It just saddens me that the only showmanship of decent paintball form was with the player in the orange beanie.

To also point out things that are obviously not allowed in paintball, but are needlessly shown in these kinds of videos is that dogs/pets are forbidden on the field, they can get seriously hurt and die, and climbing on cover and obstacles, its extremely hazardous with the fact that paint is technically animal fat, and is very slippery if not cleaned off regularly, so climbing on boats/cars is asking to get face planted, break a marker on hitting the ground or worse by landing on the marker itself and having the tank threads rupture which is deadly.
#

I think that's a bit irrelevant given the whole thing was choreographed. Sure, there's rules in paintball, but that's not an instructional video saying 'hey, do it like this - go nuts!' because that would be stupid.

OT: That was fun! I wish I was as good at paintball as the red team.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Anyone notice the chat window scrolling by? Someone posts "Why is there a dog in here dude?" and someone else says "Someone shoot him lol".

Stuberfinn88

Nov 13, 2009
Erja_Perttu said:
Stuberfinn88 said:

#

I think that's a bit irrelevant given the whole thing was choreographed. Sure, there's rules in paintball, but that's not an instructional video saying 'hey, do it like this - go nuts!' because that would be stupid.

Thats just it, in almost every other sport, whether choreographed or not, its shown by the book and by the rules.

Now we got paintball, which is never fully shown by the book in films, and then you get people that discover paintball through these films and think that this is how it is, as they don't know what the sport is like. It never gets any official paintball publicity, so the closest thing it gets to is when things like this come out, but you don't see any disclaimers saying that it isn't really how paintball is. I've been a paintball "Instructor" for 6 years, and the hardest part of my job was to verbally fight people to get them realize that film and TV shows were waaaaay off, and that this sport is seriously dangerous and people could get hurt if they goof off too much.

Worst case(to lazy to embed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AIKVRNtJSM

This one got close http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O9bC-8-ptQ but the fact that they took off their masks ON THE FIELD just aggravates me.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Stuberfinn88 said:
Erja_Perttu said:
Stuberfinn88 said:

#

Thats just it, in almost every other sport, whether choreographed or not, its shown by the book and by the rules.

Now we got paintball, which is never fully shown by the book in films, and then you get people that discover paintball through these films and think that this is how it is, as they don't know what the sport is like. It never gets any official paintball publicity, so the closest thing it gets to is when things like this come out, but you don't see any disclaimers saying that it isn't really how paintball is. I've been a paintball "Instructor" for 6 years, and the hardest part of my job was to verbally fight people to get them realize that film and TV shows were waaaaay off, and that this sport is seriously dangerous and people could get hurt if they goof off too much.

Worst case(to lazy to embed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AIKVRNtJSM

This one got close http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O9bC-8-ptQ but the fact that they took off their masks ON THE FIELD just aggravates me.
Sure, that's a fair point. I'm sure it's very difficult trying to persuade people their views are way off. I get that.

I guess what irks me is that the last place I went paintballing, they made us sign a sheet of paper saying that if we acted like idiots, we get treated like idiots, and idiots don't get to play paintball. Anyone complained, that sheet of paper got waved around, and that was that. Either they shaped up or they sat out.

Maybe that's just that particular centre, maybe it's because those guys seem to be obsessed with health and safety, who knows. My experience is that if you get punished for bad behaviour, you tend not to do it again. Can't say much more than that without it being out of my area of expertise.

Stuberfinn88

Nov 13, 2009
Erja_Perttu said:
Sure, that's a fair point. I'm sure it's very difficult trying to persuade people their views are way off. I get that.

I guess what irks me is that the last place I went paintballing, they made us sign a sheet of paper saying that if we acted like idiots, we get treated like idiots, and idiots don't get to play paintball. Anyone complained, that sheet of paper got waved around, and that was that. Either they shaped up or they sat out.

Maybe that's just that particular centre, maybe it's because those guys seem to be obsessed with health and safety, who knows. My experience is that if you get punished for bad behaviour, you tend not to do it again. Can't say much more than that without it being out of my area of expertise.
Almost all Paintball centers should be like that, not by being disrespectful to customers but by being VERY serious about safety. Where I worked, we had a 3 strike rule system, first offense: warning, Second: sit out a game, Third: Done for the day and no refund. We have to be big on safety, if we aren't then someone could potentially lose an eye, or even die on the field, its happened before(never at my center) and no one wants that to happen, and a lot of things can go wrong very fast.

Waiver's are pretty much there to protect the company from being sued for any injuries/death that a customer might be affected by and nothing more.