Warco Offers a Unique Perspective On War

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Warco Offers a Unique Perspective On War

A compelling proof of concept demo promises players the chance to play as a war correspondent and finally allows them to claim that they've "covered wars, you know."

Journalism is a rarely touched topic when it comes to video games. Sure, there's the odd journalist protagonist, who might, on occasion, stop to take a photograph or two while they're not busy slaying zombies or repelling insidious alien invasions, but very few developers seem to see any gameplay potential in the profession itself. Australian outfit Defiant Developments [http://defiantdev.com/] does, however, and their upcoming title Warco puts players in the shoes of titular heroine Warco, a war correspondent.

Judging by the above footage, the game kind of plays like a cross between Battlefield and Pokemon Snap. Dropped into an active war-zone with only a camera and a flak jacket between them and all manner of bullets and exploding ordinance, the player must capture the resulting violence on film, without missing important events or ending up a casualty themselves. When the battle ends and the dust has settled, the game shifts to the editing suite, where players craft the raw footage into a cohesive news report, which can then be shared online. Very few games makes warfare scary, mainly because the player is quite often cast as a bullet-spewing terminator. The vulnerability of Warco's protagonist, as well as the fact the player is tasked with recording violence rather than causing it, might just add some emotional depth to the crowded wargame genre.

The game is being written by author Tony Maniaty, who wrote Shooting Balibo, a book about the deaths of six newsmen in East Timor, and Robert Connolly, director of Balibo [http://www.balibo.com/], a movie based on the same event.

Warco is being partially funded by Screen Australia and Screen New South wales, no word a release date as of yet.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
That actually looks like it could be pretty fun...
Hey at least its trying something new!

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I personally like this concept despite the rather sad orgin, If it's on steam I'll try and pick it up and if it's good I hope we see more of this kind of stuff. Personally I'd love to see the same thing with and alien invasion or a giant monster attack "Imagine Cloverfield the game". I just like observing more than fighting in games where such a thing is an option. I'm the type of person who sneaks though Deus Ex listening to the guards talk about things for five minutes before promptly throwing a vending machine at them.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hmm PWN news, I wonder if they broadcast on channel 1337? I think the problem with the concept, is that as camera man, your role is quite passive. Which I think means the game could get old fast. However a versus mode could be the opportunity to hunt down a FOX news correspondent. I know thats probably not the feel that the makers are aiming at but PWN news isn't either

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Sounds like an itneresting idea, might be pretty good.
Although the name first made me think of playing a wartime arms dealer, manipulating the struggles with the right supplies to maximize profit.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
jurnag12 said:
Sounds like an itneresting idea, might be pretty good.
Although the name first made me think of playing a wartime arms dealer, manipulating the struggles with the right supplies to maximize profit.
I want a game like that or managing a mercenary army and shit lol

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'll wait for the James Woods voiced Salvador version. Interesting concept, I'm curious about the execution.

Mike the Bard

Jan 25, 2010
I like the idea , non-combat games are always interesting as they then need to find a new form of conflict besides "that man in a different color shirt is shooting bullets at you, so shoot bullets back at him". this game form of conflict will still have that but only one sided. it may also focus on internal conflicts like dealing with the horrors of war.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Brilliant concept - but I think there is much work to be done with the execution.

From the footage, it looks like a FPS in which you just try to avoid beeing shot and film at the same time. I'ld think there should be an adventure-esque addition to that mechanic in which you decide on which hotspot to cover, whom to interview and to negotiate, bribe and sneak you way into groups to uncover the story you're telling.

There's always two sides to a story, and especially in war, it would be fitting to let the player decide which side they focus on.
I'm always impressed by journalists who manage to interview "freedom fighters", "rebels" or even "terrorists"
Perhaps you could go beyond just reporting what happens in that moment and let the player decide on what the true story is that needs to be told... is it the rebels desperate try to overthrow a corrput government ? Is it the struggling officials who try to keep the country from falling appart ? Or is it the Soldier that is ordered to shoot those he once called friends because they chose the side of the rebels ?

"The first victim of any war is truth herself."

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
the problem is this is a game where your job is to stare at the character models and animations all day, so they can't really be that ugly. but if it's for a reasonable price I will get it because I like to help fund creative ideas.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I love this idea. We really need to see a bit more experimentation with game types these days, I'm really tired of seeing CoD clone #73 being compared to Battlefield clone #85.
I want to see more studios take risks and see what they can come up with rather than simply churning out yet another in a long line of shooters. TBH, I'm really hoping to see the heyday of the shooter come to an end.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Making it a timned jaunt ... for example you have 20 minutes to record one par5icular battle from multiple aspects whilst avoiding being killed, then you hear a message from your mobile new wagon to get your arse to another secen ... to videotape the journalist in the film and record a new outbreak of violence.

All whilst getting first hand correspondence but frightened civilians on the ground without gettiong trampled. I can think of millions of things that could be added to this game to make it a fantastic experience of war.

You could almost make it sandbox as your news team try to beat the competrition, or you go out amidst the people to talk with them about the co-ordinates of a supposed mass grave so you get the scoop.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Wow, this looks really good, I mean, I would actually rather play this than ModernBattleGearsMarine 3. A rather fresh new mechanic brought into the FPS genre.

Y'know, We've all stormed the Omaha beach more times than there were actual soldiers on it, but I've never been the guy that carried the camera