Battlestar Galactica Online Snags 5 Million Players

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Battlestar Galactica Online Snags 5 Million Players

Not only does Battlestar Galactica Online have a lot of registered players, but more are signing up at a rate of 25,000 people a day.

When <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.204232-E3-2010-Will-a-Browser-Based-Battlestar-Galactica-MMOG-Work>Greg Tito first checked Battlestar Galactica Online out at E3 2010, he asked the valid question "Will a Browser-Based Battlestar Galactica MMOG Work?" Apparently the answer is a resounding "yes," since the game has garnered 5 million registered users since its open beta launched in February.

Developer Bigpoint was clearly thrilled with the news, revealing that it has a ton of people signing up to play the game; approximately 25,000 people a day are registering for the open beta.

Producer Sarah Levantine was obviously pretty proud of this feat, stating, "as BSGO continues to evolve, we're excited to offer new content to the fans and growing community. We listen very closely to what the players ask for and are happy to announce that more features and items, including a number of new ships, are on the way."

People are clearly interested in Battlestar Galactica Online right now, but it'll be really interesting to see how many people stick around when the game officially launches. In the meantime, you can sign up to play the game via the official website.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-08-battlestar-galactica-online-hits-5-million-registered-users>GamesIndustry.biz

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well thats a damn sight better than i thought it would do, but then its gotten an unusual level of TV advertising for an MMORPG, or any game come to think of it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pretty sweet graphics for a browser based game. I always thought it'd look and play like this:
However, it seems to be a full-scale, 3D arcade space shooter. Looks pretty awesome.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I never liked Battlestar. Never saw the old series, and what I saw of the new sires I didn't like because the episodes were meh, and the grainy film style they used for it along with shaky cam type stuff when to people are talking and the camera quickly pans back and forth instead of just cutting to each person's face, yeah it was horribly filmed. That is why I was pissed when Stargate Universe first aired, it used the same crummy film style. Boy am I glad it got cancel just about ruined the Stargate franchise.

This MMO talk makes me depressed about how the Stargate MMO will never see the light of day because all the corruption and squandering of funds.

At least one fan-base will get an MMO of their favorite show, sadly, I am not a member.

Well there is Star Trek, but I'm waiting for that to go free to play before I pick back up where I left off on my trial run.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Jesus, I really want to watch it all again now. And it's too bad I'm not an MMO person.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Sonic Doctor said:
I never liked Battlestar. Never saw the old series, and what I saw of the new sires I didn't like because the episodes were meh, and the grainy film style they used for it along with shaky cam type stuff when to people are talking and the camera quickly pans back and forth instead of just cutting to each person's face, yeah it was horribly filmed. That is why I was pissed when Stargate Universe first aired, it used the same crummy film style. Boy am I glad it got cancel just about ruined the Stargate franchise.

This MMO talk makes me depressed about how the Stargate MMO will never see the light of day because all the corruption and squandering of funds.

At least one fan-base will get an MMO of their favorite show, sadly, I am not a member.

Well there is Star Trek, but I'm waiting for that to go free to play before I pick back up where I left off on my trial run.
oh dude, I just finished watching that show last month, and I'm STILL ranting on how BAAAAD the show was. I don't even care if I spoil details for people because no one should have to sit through that shit.

Serious, big plot twist at the end: God did it. That is all.

Yeah, big SG1 fan here too, so it's not like I hate sci-fi.

Edit: I also need to rant about how I only felt inclined to finish BSG because I was watching it during my lunch breaks. I had nothing else to do while eating my sandwiches. The PSP allows for accelerated playback, and I could increase the speed to 2.0X without it feeling too rushed.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
5 million? Jesus, that's actually on par with WoW's western subscriber base. They must be doing something right to become so popular so ridiculously quickly. Kudos to the game devs.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Arcanist said:
5 million? Jesus, that's actually on par with WoW's western subscriber base. They must be doing something right to become so popular so ridiculously quickly. Kudos to the game devs.
Ya it's milking a name every sci-fi fanboy squirts joyjuice over.

Story and atmosphere was the main draw to BSG, none of which can be done in an MMO, I will not go near this.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
So wait, how exactly does this work, story wise? From the trailer, it looks to be post-humanity-getting-nuked, so unless there's just 5 million Cylon players, doesn't that kind of completely contradict the whole "~15,000 humans left" thing?

thecourtlibrarian

Jan 14, 2010
I'm a diehard fan of the show (to the point of ignoring the religious aspects in favor of appreciating character development-- and i'm a hardcore athiest, lol) and I didn't think this game was ANY fun. Whatsoever. But until STO goes free to play, I might pick it back up. Being able to play a fully 3D game in your browser is pretty cool, at least, for one who grew up without t3h internetz.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Pretty sweet graphics for a browser based game. I always thought it'd look and play like this:
However, it seems to be a full-scale, 3D arcade space shooter. Looks pretty awesome.
Look up the <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_engine>Unity engine it's using.

I remember the time when Unity was being optimized for browsers, and I was like "Pffft, yeah, right." But seems like it has been a worthwhile.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
It's easy to sign up. It takes seconds. But it's dreadful to play. So those numbers don't mean anything.
I signed up, I saw what is, and I left.
Total play time - 15 minutes.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, 5 million signed up is meaningless, active accounts would be interesting to hear, but they are probably glossing over that since it's not even hundreds of thousands.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
vansau said:
Haha, so the number of players officially outnumbers the supposed population of human survivors in the source material? That's pretty hilarious. I think it's probably one of the biggest downsides to any post-apocalyptic setting -- you either end up with too sparse a population (and it feels like single-player), or you end up with too dense a population (and it's like, "What apocalypse?")

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This is what you get when you take multi-generation fanbase and make a thing for them that doesnt haven an end.

P.S. Capcha: free osytori, the irony of their choice.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
man I loved that show

makes me wonder if they'll ever bring that BSG game on XBLA back...hm prob not but oh well