The History Of Gaming Recapped In Four Minutes

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
The History Of Gaming Recapped In Four Minutes

[vimeo=18743950]

In half the time it takes to nuke a baked potato, this videogame history lesson might just learn ya somethin' useful.

Created by a group of German game design students, the clip is a stark, simple jaunt through the last three decades of console gaming. Argue the semantics of the word, but the line-up presented here, even without narrative support, offers a pretty solid evolutionary line from the earliest days of electronic entertainment to our modern Sony and Microsoft consoles.

As a pedantic fellow Escapist newsie argued, the video does fail to include a few minor consoles (the Atari Jaguar, for instance), but the goal here is not to document every single gaming system ever spewed onto the retail space. If it were, this video would be six hours long, and you'd all fall asleep somewhere between the Tandy TRS-80 and the Commodore Vic-20.

Instead, this video documents the strong branches of the evolutionary tree of gaming. Those branches and product lines which have directly contributed to the creation of later systems, and eventually, the games we enjoy today. Those offshoots that went nowhere and inevitably faded into history would merely muck up what is otherwise a simple, clean presentation.

If I do have one qualm however -- or possibly, a concept for a sequel video -- it's the lack of any handheld game coverage. Granted, handheld tech isn't quite as exciting as the latest, greatest console tech, but the weird, wonderful handhelds of the past two decades make for much more interesting subject matter, if for no other reason than the portable space seemingly gives console developers far more freedom to implement wacky design concepts.

Plus, it would give me another chance to publicly mourn the fate of the dearly departed Neo Geo Pocket.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I'm too busy playing SNK Gals' Fighters and Shermie is a total jerk."

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
They should have done something for pc gaming, and maybe something a bit less generic covering xbox than a game of rock band on the more expensive drumset, just saying.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
more of a history of controllers. Hence skipping the PS2 cause it's controller is pretty much the same. I didn't see any X-Box at all though, which strikes me as odd.

iamjonah

Feb 19, 2010
Amalith said:
more of a history of controllers. Hence skipping the PS2 cause it's controller is pretty much the same. I didn't see any X-Box at all though, which strikes me as odd.
Check the ending credits. "Need for speed" was on the PS2, and Rockband was on the Xbox 360 (no regular x-box, though)

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Atari 2600! I know they cuoldn't have fit all consoles in the video but that's a big one.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
esperandote said:
Atari 2600! I know they cuoldn't have fit all consoles in the video but that's a big one.
Agreed. Missing the 2600 is a big oversight. This video is pretty old too, no?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This video had certainly bring back memories (for it was the SNES and the Gamecube). Great I'm now in a nostalgia mood.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I liked how they ignored xbox, either an oversight or a hilarious burn.

PC gaming version would be boring but seem less stupid. Keyboard, 10 years later, Mouse. the end. No gimmicky controller boomerangs.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
So if it did not happen on consoles it is not a part of gaming history. Get lost.

So that's was 'video game' history. How about one for 'computer game' history for those of us who never played consoles growing up. In this order....

Oscilloscope tenins
Spacewar on a mainframe
Chuckie Egg on ZX Spectrum
Wizball on Commadore 64
Elite on BBC micro
Spy Hunter on something 16 bit
Xenon 2 Megablast on Atari ST
Speedball 2 On Amiga
IK + On Amiga
Monkey Island On PC
Wing Commander on PC
Doom on PC
Crysis on PC

Some loading from tape sounds when swapping between systems using tape would be good. Some 3.5" disc loading sounds when changing to the 16 bit platforms like Amiga and ST would be good as well. And some HHD sounds when changing to PC.