John Marston Rides Again in Red Dead Redemption GOTY Edition

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
John Marston Rides Again in Red Dead Redemption GOTY Edition

Every bit of DLC and extra content - including Undead Nightmare - are loaded onto one fancy disc.

The Escapist's 2010 Game of the Year selection Red Dead Redemption was excellent - the first truly Western game that delivered the three cornerstones of fun gameplay, compelling story and beautiful visuals. Other than World of Warcraft and Civ V, I probably spent more time riding around New Austin last year than I did with any other game. Because I was such a fan, I was intrigued with the seemingly endless schedule of content that Rockstar San Diego released for the game, but due to time and monetary contraints, I didn't buy and play all of them. Now money isn't as much of a problem because Rockstar announced a new Game of the Year edition of Red Dead Redemption that includes every single bit of content ever made for it - all for $50 - coming out on October 11 for PS3 and Xbox 360.

"We wanted to create a world that captured the spirit of the Western," said Sam Houser from Rockstar. "We are thrilled that Red Dead Redemption's vision of the West resonated with so many people."

Here's the full list of everything you get:

Original Red Dead Redemption game with a brand-new hardcore single-player mode
Undead Nightmare single-player campaign and multiplayer modes
Legends and Killers Pack, featuring additional multiplayer map locations, multiplayer characters, and the Tomahawk projectile weapon
Liars and Cheats Pack, including the Stronghold multiplayer competitive mode, Free Roam gambling games, multiplayer horse races with combat, and the Explosive Rifle.
Hunting and Trading Outfits Pack, featuring two outfits with corresponding gameplay challenges for John Marston;
Outlaws To The End Co-Op Mission Pack, including six co-op missions for up to four players
All original pre-order content, including the Deadly Assassin Outfit, War Horse, and Golden Guns Weapon Pack
Solomon's Folly single-player gang hideout and challenges available for the first time on Xbox 360
Just-released Myths and Mavericks Bonus Pack, featuring fan-favorite multiplayer characters and all-new locations to battle in.

I've been meaning to get back into Red Dead but I lent my copy to [user]Slycne[/user] to capture footage for the next Miracle of Sound video. This GOTY edition might be the perfect way to experience all the stuff the Western paradise of New Austin had to offer. Plus that hardcore difficulty might be a fun challenge.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Greg Tito said:
I've been meaning to get back into Red Dead but I lent my copy to [user]Slycne[/user] to capture footage for the next Miracle of Sound video.
Aha! Looking forward to it :>

OT: Cool beans I guess, I already got the game so...not for me. Nice for someone picking it up then though ;)

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Huh. I've been vaguely interested in this game, and it seems highly recommended, but the huge list of bugs I've come across has kind of scared me away. Still, that's a good price for all that stuff?

Does anyone know whether the PS3 or the 360 version of the (original) game is less buggy?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
So... what's this new hard-core mode their talking about?
Could it be something like what Yahtzee suggested, where life and stamina don;t automatically restore, and you can die of thirst if you spend to long in the desert?

Because that sounds badass to me. I might get it just for that.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Ha, I'm actually right in the middle of replaying Red Dead right now, since I'm unemployed and bored as crap. Don't think I'll get it, but I highly recommend the game to someone who hasn't before, and this will be a great introduction. $50 isn't a bad price point either.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well I never did get around to playing it yet (life and other things have kept me busy) so this looks like a good chance to get the game and every other little goody that came along with it. Well atleast we won't have to wait long for this one to come out, it's only like four weeks away thankfully.

This is kinda why I usally wait if a game as a ton of DLC stuff like Fallout 3 or Borderlands, odds are they will make a GOTY editon that I can pick up without any problems as my connection is kinda crappy.

Also, a RDR Miracle of Sound music video? Fucking jackpot! :D

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Awesomeness! Now if you could make a PC port for this, I would be eternally indebted to your service.
Broken Blade said:
Huh. I've been vaguely interested in this game, and it seems highly recommended, but the huge list of bugs I've come across has kind of scared me away. Still, that's a good price for all that stuff?

Does anyone know whether the PS3 or the 360 version of the (original) game is less buggy?
To be perfectly frank, it doesnt have that many bugs, and almost none are gamebreakers. (That might just be me, though. I seem absurdly lucky in avoiding any type of bug. Example: Fallout New Vegas: no bugs, first playthrough, release version)
But for 50 bucks, this may very well be one of the best deals you'll get for this amount of content and this level of quality.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Prof. Monkeypox said:
So... what's this new hard-core mode their talking about?
Could it be something like what Yahtzee suggested, where life and stamina don;t automatically restore, and you can die of thirst if you spend to long in the desert?

Because that sounds badass to me. I might get it just for that.
That was exactly what I was wondering. Something like that would be amazing.

Studs MacKenzie

Aug 6, 2011
Does this "hardcore mode" get patched into existing copies of RDR? If not, I'd be one sad panda. Seriously, way to alienate the customers...

In either case, that is one QUALITY package for the price. The game is easily one of the best time wasters with both its single and multiplayer. For those who haven't, get it now... er, or when this pack comes out.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Cool I wanted to play this game and now I can since it is now the whole game.

Back in the 90's where I grew up the GOTY edition was launched on day 1 and if it was a good game you bought it, now To save my gaming buck I gotta wait for these things to come out or pay like 140 bucks a game for it and dlc.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Cool, except I already bought it. It'll be good for those who still haven't played it yet, even though they should be heckled thoroughly for not playing it sooner.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Anyone have some insight on this: If I buy this version, will achievements earned in it applied to my previous Redemption save, or under a new listing as "Red Dead Redemption: GOTY?"

The reason I ask is because Arkham Asylum on my gamertag has the GOYT listing, which made me think if I played the regular version they'd be separate.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Guess there's no chance of a pc port then. :(

Ah well, guess I'll be picking this up on my brother's ps3 or something. It was amazing when I played it on my friend's.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if they'll patch in or release the hardcore SP for the original version of the game. That sounds like a great thing, as I think some survivalism could add a lot to the game. I haven't bought any DLC for Red Dead Redemption, but I'd definitely get that.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Eh, I don't see much interest in this, I'd probably just buy the not-GotY Edition at Wal Mart for 20$

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Great! I've actually been looking at Red Dead Redemption for a while now! I was surprised they were completely silent on a PC version, but now it seems they fi--

--Oh. I see. They're just re-releasing the game on consoles. 'K.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Good to know my patience has paid off. Now to show even more patience by waiting for this to hit thirty dollars.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Broken Blade said:

I've been playing Red Dead since it first came out and I have barely experienced any bugs at all (PS3 version by the way).

I don't think you need to worry too much about bugs, at least from my experience.