Gears of War 3 Epic Edition Unboxing

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Gears of War 3 Epic Edition Unboxing

There's so many extras in the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition you may need a Brumak to carry it all.

The Epic Edition of Gears of War 3 comes in a case so large, you could probably use it to beat a few Wretches to death. And with good reason; Epic Games appears to have gone all out to give their hardcore fans plenty of swag.

[gallery=482]

First up is a limited edition statue of Marcus Fenix. Standing just under a foot tall, the statue is designed by Epic Games' own Chris Perna and captures all the gruff and muscular detail of everyone's favorite anti-hero. Though unless you're looking to build some kind of shrine to Gears of War, the extra cardboard diorama showing the rest of the cast is pretty paltry in comparison.

Further extras include some well-put together and oddly sentimental personal effects from Adam Fenix, Marcus' father. Check out his last will and testament, a replica of the 'Octus Service Medal' he received for his work on the Hammer of Dawn, family photos and a personal letter to his son. As overly macho and gory as Gears of War can be, it's kind of interesting to see a side of the universe that's not all grim and depressing. And for anyone's hoping to follow in Adam's footsteps and build their own orbital doom cannon, there's also a detailed schematic of the Hammer of Dawn itself, though I'm not sure how Epic expects fans to launch one into orbit without anyone noticing.

For literary types who enjoy a good read in between chainsawing your enemies into chunks, there's also the Art and Design of Gears of War penned by Extra Lives author Tom Bissell. It covers just about everything you ever wanted to know about the creation of the Gears series, falling just short of detailing Cliff Bleszinski's favorite restaurants.

Finally, just in case you forgot that Gears of War 3 itself is also buried in here, the game comes with several multiplayer unlockables. There's the Infected Omen Weapon Pack, which gives players a few colorful dress-up options for their starting weapons, and the Adam Fenix multiplayer character for fans eager to step into his combat boots.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Can't wait to unbox mine a week from today. And yes, I am planning to build a Gears of War shrine.

Dunno if this will 1up the inFamous 2 Hero Edition, but it will be nice to have my Cole statue right night to my Marcus Fenix statue.

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
I ordered the Limited Edition with the Gears 3 Controller. Statue ain't worth the extra 90 or what ever it is, but a controller is worth it to me.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I pre-bought the Limited edition, pretty much the same except the statue.

Can't wait to play GoW 3...and especially the new horde mode :3

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Wish I had ordered the Limited Edition, but my brother is picking it up for me and he has no job so I would have felt bad for asking him to spend more money. Before people say why didn't I chip in, $150 for Skyrim collectors. That is all.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
They need to make a deluxe edition of a game I want and just add in two or three regular sized action figures, and I'm sold. I can't store (or play with) "statues" or busts. I don't want that non-bendable, dust gathering crap in my house. Might as well put a sign on your bedroom door that says "Don't have sex with me."

Sep 14, 2009
zelda2fanboy said:
They need to make a deluxe edition of a game I want and just add in two or three regular sized action figures, and I'm sold. I can't store (or play with) "statues" or busts. I don't want that non-bendable, dust gathering crap in my house. Might as well put a sign on your bedroom door that says "Don't have sex with me."
statues/collectibles are not okay, but action figures that you play with are?

now not to say i wouldn't appreciate some sweet action figures either...just saying, that "dont have sex with me" line seems hypocritical.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
And why would you pay for that. It all looks completely fucking useless.
People buy stuff like this all the time.

You see, shelling out the extra money for a better edition is like a wedding ring. It's a material thing, sure, but it shows a sign of deeper devotion.

I'm getting the Gears Xbox myself.

Rabid Chipmunk

Nov 11, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
And why would you pay for that. It all looks completely fucking useless.
That's because it is completely fucking useless. But for people who are into collectables or are just big fans of the GoW franchise, the fact that it's completely fucking useless can be overlooked, because it looks really, really awesome.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Unboxings are perhaps one of the most phenomenally pointless things on the internet.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
gmaverick019 said:

now not to say i wouldn't appreciate some sweet action figures either...just saying, that "dont have sex with me" line seems hypocritical.
Oh, it is, but I can hide action figures. I can lock the door and make my pew pew and woosh sound effects in privacy. That's assuming I would actually have someone to hide it from. Which I don't. Those "collectibles" just gather dust like a ************ and I can't play with them.

Sep 14, 2009
zelda2fanboy said:
gmaverick019 said:

Oh, it is, but I can hide action figures. I can lock the door and make my pew pew and woosh sound effects in privacy. That's assuming I would actually have someone to hide it from. Which I don't. Those "collectibles" just gather dust like a ************ and I can't play with them.
hahahaha gotcha.

i don't mind either way, but i do see the advantages of your thoughts.

if i meet a girl and she can't stand me having some sweet collectibles sitting on the shelf? that shit won't fly in the long run anyways, that'll be the least of our problems.

i already got an old power ranger megazord and pokemon plush on my shelf, stuff like this will just add to that collection

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
This is why I don't get Special Editions any more. I can fully appreciate a few nifty extras, even a waste-of-plastic-and-space figurine but I think these things tend to go overboard.

Obviously I'm not one for 'collectables' but even if I was I'd still think that there is a limit to how much extra crap something should come with in order to justify the higher price.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
*Sighs*
If only this was available in New Zealand. I have to settle with e Gears themed 360 and two controllers and the normal collectors edition.

Druss the Legend

Jun 6, 2009
Reaper195 said:
*Sighs*
If only this was available in New Zealand. I have to settle with e Gears themed 360 and two controllers and the normal collectors edition.
It is, because I ordered it.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
a can of sprite ehh?
Here's hoping Mass Effect 3's Collectors Ed comes with a can of Dr Pepper!