Update: StarCraft II Will Not Support LAN

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Update: StarCraft II Will Not Support LAN

Eager to play a round of StarCraft II with your buddies? You'll have to use Battle.net, since the game will not support LAN connections. On the plus side, the service will still be free.

It's no secret that I'm really excited for StarCraft II - like really, really excited - so I've been eagerly devouring all the news coming out of last week's multiplayer press event like a starving dog who just discovered a truck full of smoked hickory bacon. For the most part, told IncGamers [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=218479].

According to Pardo, the choice to exclude LAN games "is because of the planned technology to be incorporated into Battle.net," which will be revealed at a later date.

It's a surprising move, given that the first game's massive popularity was in part driven by LAN parties - many gamers including myself have fond memories of spending evenings and nights wired together with friends, talking trash as we spawned more Overlords. Without its "Spawning" feature, which allowed multiple installs of the multiplayer client off of one CD key, there's no telling if the game would have anywhere close to the fanbase it enjoys to this day.

I'm not sure what will happen if, for whatever reason, a group of would-be SC2 fans finds itself without a connection to the Internet for Battle.net, so my reaction to this one is caution. On the plus side, however, the same interview [http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/190/StarCraftIIDevelopersInterviewed] confirms that, although the company is looking to "monetize" Battle.net in some way, Blizzard remains committed to keeping the service free to play on for StarCraft II and any games to follow (presumably including Diablo III):

[blockquote]One idea which has been discussed in different iterations is microtransactions, meaning the service is free, but added value services like starting a custom tournament, league, or the like would cost a small amount of money.[/blockquote]

It's an interesting philosophy, and one that makes sense - though apparently advertising revenue will not be a part of it, as many have suggested. "We spent a lot of money on Battle.net, right, so we need some way to sustain it," said SC2 lead Dustin Browder, though "current mockups don't include ads."

Beyond that, Browder told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5303533/starcraft-ii-beta-planned-to-last-4-to-6-months] that the team was hoping for the SC2 beta to last approximately four to six months. Given that we're almost halfway through 2009, this could put Blizzard dangerously close to running over its goal of releasing the game before the end of the year. Of course, it's not impossible: "It's getting there," Browder joked. "We can still make four!"

Of course, the company is determined to make sure the game is in tip-top shape before it releases the beta: "The minute beta goes out, we lose a lot of efficiency."

Update: Blizzard PR rep Bob Colayco confirmed to Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/30/starcraft-2-blizzard-responds-to-lack-of-lan-support/] that the company did not plan to support LAN games in StarCraft II:

[blockquote]We don't currently plan to support LAN play with StarCraft II, as we are building Battle.net to be the ideal destination for multiplayer gaming with StarCraft II and future Blizzard Entertainment games. While this was a difficult decision for us, we felt that moving away from LAN play and directing players to our upgraded Battle.net service was the best option to ensure a quality multiplayer experience with StarCraft II and safeguard against piracy.

Several Battle.net features like advanced communication options, achievements, stat-tracking, and more, require players to be connected to the service, so we're encouraging everyone to use Battle.net as much as possible to get the most out of StarCraft II. We're looking forward to sharing more details about Battle.net and online functionality for StarCraft II in the near future.[/blockquote]

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I never used LAN on Starcraft much. Of course, I don't own it. So I've done it twice with friends.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I wonder what this new feature will be...
I somehow have this feeling it's just an excuse to have a good reason not to have a Spawn install anymore.

Symplify

Jun 13, 2009
What is a Spawn install?

My friends and I play Starcraft on Battlenet, because none of us want to haul our boxes to each other's houses...

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
No support for LAN...playing Starcraft LAN games with friends was awesome.
LAN was better because you didn't get the "waiting for players" message every time you played
against someone with a bad connection on battle.net.

This news is a bit disappointing.

If Battle.net wasn't going to continue to be free...well then I definitely wouldn't buy Starcraft II.

digitalman

Jun 9, 2009
It sounds to me like they're going to force all multiplayer through battle.net in order to generate ad revenue.

Count me out.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
The Political Gamer said:
What about the inevitable SCII tournaments?
Yeah or what about playing with your roommate in a 48hr SCII binge! I guess I can always go back to playing the first for my LAN fix.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
On one side, I rarely play LAN on anything anyway so it doesn't bother me much.
On the other, I have done so at a few times and it was a lot of fun and not being able to do it is a bit of a bummer.

(So, when's the beta coming? Now? Now? Now? Now?)

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Symplify said:
What is a Spawn install?
Ah to be young again.

I loved the spawn installs. Starcraft, Diablo 2, and I think even Total Annihilation all had 'em.
What a great concept.

On topic: It seems like a rather silly move.
I mean, let's be honest here: How much 'work' would it take to add LAN support? Seems like they've already got the netcode working fine, so would it really be a big hassle to add LAN? Really? The answer, of course, is: No. The reason, however, doesn't seem to be as obvious. Incorporated Battle.net technologies? Who cares? People just want to be able to take their rig to a friend's house and sit in the dim basement and Zerg-rush each other. Do I need custom tournaments, or leagues, for that? No. I don't.

Weird move, Blizzard.

Jenny Creed

May 7, 2008
Dick move, guys. Judging by previous accomplishments, it should take Blizz about five minutes to program a dependable multiplayer functionality in Flash and save an innumerable host of weekend LAN parties in locales without Internet connections from being canceled. Not to mention mod parties. It's such a small thing that can be hugely important in some not entirely uncommon circumstances.

What possible reason can they have to justify even considering this? Whatever sales they might gain is nowhere near the sales they stand to lose when they find out that not everyone on Earth has Internet access. And don't pretend it could somehow make people buy the game who would otherwise download it. Remove the spawn installs if you really have to pinch every penny, company-that-posted-a-net-profit-of-250-million-dollars-last-quarter, but why remove the basic multiplayer that's been staple in every game since Warcraft 1?