Santa Claus Bringing PS Vita to Stores in December

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Santa Claus Bringing PS Vita to Stores in December

Sony listed the launch titles and wireless details for the new handheld.

At a press event in Tokyo, Sony executives shared the plans for the PlayStation Vita launch. The handheld will be available in Japan on December 17th with a 3G capable version priced higher than the WiFi-only model, ¥29,980 (equivalent to $389.80) and ¥24,980 ($324.79) respectively. Sony also announced data plans through Japanese company NTT Docomo with a 20 hour plan costing ¥980 ($12.74) while 100 hours of connectivity will set you back ¥4,980 ($64.75). There were no details given on when the PlayStation Vita would come out in other regions, but an impressively long list of titles was announced for the launch.

Nintendo dropping the price of its 3DS did not impact the prices that Sony set for the PS Vita at all. "We have made no changes to those prices," said Hiroshi Kawano, Sony Japan president.

Kawano also said that he doesn't feel the PS Vita adding internet connectivity set it as a competitor to the likes of Apple. "Smartphones and tablets aren't competing against us - we're actually collaborating," he said.

Here is the full list of 26 titles launching with the PS Vita. A few of these games will be only available on the PS Store, and there are quite a few that are listed as tentative or with working titles. Call me skeptical, but I think the list will dwindle over the next few months.

Still, it seems that Sony is attempting to avoid the problem that Nintendo faced with the 3DS launch where there was no compelling software to force consumers to buy the new-fangled device. There's no blockbuster must-have title on Sony's list, but at least there are a variety of games for the Japanese market here. One of them will likely tickle your fancy.

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend - 2D fighting game (Arc System Works)
Project N.O.E.L.S. (working title) - music player (Arc System Works)
3gokushi touchbattle (working title) - MMO/RTS (AQ Interactive)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - fighting game (Capcom) - Launch title
Nature of Night of Kamaitachi - 11th visitor, A Suspect (tentative) - adventure: sound novel (Chunsoft)
F1 2011 - racing game (Codemasters)
Dream C Club Zero Portable - dating simulation game (D3 Publisher)
Niconico - Niconico (Dwango)
Fis Oh - sport fishing (Kadokawa Games)
Katamari Damacy (working title) - roll-'em-up (Namco Bandai)
Ridge Racer (working title) - racing game (Namco Bandai)
Disgaea 3 Return - strategy RPG (Nippon Ichi Software)
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition - sport tennis (Sega)
@field - sport golf (Sonic Powered)
Uncharted: Golden - action adventure (Sony)
Little Deviants - mini-game collection (Sony)
Minnato Issho - social communications (Sony)
Hot Shots Golf Next (Everybody's Golf Next) - sport golf (Sony)
Yuusha no kiroku (TBD) - life management (Sony)
Monster Radar - location-based game (Sony)
Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja - stealth action (Spike)
Army Corps of Hell - action (Square Enix)
Lord of Apocalypse - action RPG (Square Enix)
Dynasty Warriors Next - action with a bit of thinking (Tecmo Koei)
Dark Quest - RPG (Ubisoft)
Michael Jackson: The Experience HD - rhythm action (Ubisoft)

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37216/PS_Vita_Launching_December_17_In_Japan_3G_Details_Outlined.php]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
A Disgaea 3 port already? I never played the original, that might be the first game I get on it.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
cursedseishi said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
A Disgaea 3 port already? I never played the original, that might be the first game I get on it.
Yeah, it was announced a while back, it'll have all the DLC the current version has included with the price, as well as a couple of new characters and some new scenarios.
That sounds fantastic. That and Persona 4 will keep me busy for a while.
CkretAznMan said:
Oh, wow. There really does need to be a price cut.
It is the same price that the 3DS was at launch, 250$. It isn't that expensive as far as new console/handhelds go.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Attempting to avoid the problem that the 3DS had? That's an understatement.

I'm actually really impressed, I don't see a reason not to get it considering all the games that are gonna be on it. I think the only problem I see is which one I want to get at launch.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
?Monster Radar - location-based game (Sony)

Enough said since the Vita is going to have a PSP/UMD system set up, hopefully for transfers of game disks into memory.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Hey Nintendo, you seeing this? Yeah this is the kind of line up you should have at launch. Not the crapapalooza that was the 3DS launch titles.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Ult Marvel v Capcom?, Disagaea 3 and A NEW KATAMARI DAMACY GAME!!!!!

I'm in!

/wanders off to sell a kidney to pay for the thing

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend - 2D fighting game (Arc System Works)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - fighting game (Capcom) - Launch title
Uncharted: Golden - action adventure (Sony)

I'm not big into the overly Japanese stuff like most people seem to be, but there are still three solid titles here I'm fairly interested in.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
Well that's expensive, but I'll probably buy it when Persona 4 comes out for it.
Say, when does that come out in the US?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
1: Either the Japanese are getting ripped off, or the PS Vita has gotten more expensive... either way isn't good.
2: We still don't know the actual price of the games.
3: That is a pretty impressive line-up. Plenty of stuff nobody knows (or cares) about, but enough big names in there. Still, not all of them will be there on time for release, but even if some are delayed, it'll still be a good launch.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Can't wait for global release,already a day one purchase and some of the recently revealed titles at their conference just made it even sweeter. I nearly shat my pants with the whole reveal of UMvC3 and Ys4, two day on purchases to go along with my laundry list of Vita games I plan on getting.

Now Square...I don't fucking like FFX, but please please PLEASE release FF Type-0. You are going to putit up on the Japanese PSN, so why not put it up for everyone else as well?You don't need to hire voice acotrs either,just translate all the subtitles and text into english and BAM!!Done. See how easy that is? The people who are interested in this game won't minde Japanese dub with eng subs.

...orya know...make Dissidia 3....

Mr. Omega said:
1: Either the Japanese are getting ripped off, or the PS Vita has gotten more expensive... either way isn't good.
2: We still don't know the actual price of the games.
3: That is a pretty impressive line-up. Plenty of stuff nobody knows (or cares) about, but enough big names in there. Still, not all of them will be there on time for release, but even if some are delayed, it'll still be a good launch.
1) Things are more expensive in japan, those prices there are straight conversions. Still only gonna cost 250 everywhere else. They always have paid more for their games and hardware.

2) Games will be priced the same as it is for the PSP and DS. Roughly 30-40 bucks standard for new releases depending on the games profile.

3) This is just the Japanese launch. The english launch will have some different games, more non-japanese developed games that have been known about for months now. There is also the fact that they have 100 games total lined up throughout their launch window/ 2012.

Hope I cleared that up for ya.

SupabadMan

Feb 26, 2010
Uncharted: Golden Abyss isn't a 'blockbuster' title?

*sees graphics and gameplay*

Lol, alright.

Polyg0n

Jul 16, 2009
That lineup looks pretty good. I want to get Vita and probably will someday, but with that price it definately won't be a day 1 purchase for me. Maybe after one or two price cuts I might start consider buying.