Trailer, Screens Detail Final Fallout: New Vegas DLC

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Trailer, Screens Detail Final Fallout: New Vegas DLC

[video=4188]

Lonesome Road may be the last gasp for Fallout: New Vegas, but the game is going out with a thermonuclear bang.

First, the important logistical details: Lonesome Road is scheduled for release on the Xbox Live Marketplace, PlayStation Network and Steam on September 20, and will feature a $10 price tag. If you've downloaded any of the other DLC add-ons for Fallout: New Vegas, you already know the drill.

With that out of the way, let's get into the more important bits. Like the DLC's plot:

In Lonesome Road you are contacted by the original Courier Six, a man by the name of Ulysses who refused to deliver the Platinum Chip at the start of Fallout: New Vegas. Ulysses promises the answer as to why he didn't take the job, but only if you make one last journey into the hurricane-swept canyons of the Divide, a landscape torn apart by earthquakes and violent storms. It's up to you whether you take the job or not.

As you can see from the above trailer, and the image gallery below, Lonesome Road focuses heavily on the "nuclear holocaust" aspect of the Fallout universe. We've seen rubble and mutants before, but this DLC takes it to another level.

I'm almost positive that rocket isn't designed to ferry adorable communist puppies into orbit.

Speaking as a massive Fallout fan who has sunk hundreds of hours into Bethesda's additions to the series, I'm incredibly excited to finally meet Ulysses as well. He's been hinted at in past DLC additions and the main storyline in New Vegas, but his motivations and goals have always been a mystery, with just a hint of foreboding.

Bethesda has done an excellent job foreshadowing this imminent confrontation, but honestly I just want to put a bullet between his eyes. All these years wandering the Wasteland have turned me into a cynical shell of a man, and though I'm sure Ulysses has some very interesting things to tell me, when I look at him, all I see are the caps I could earn for blowing his head off and swiping that fancy coat.

Fingers crossed that the writing in Lonesome Road can live up to the emotional impact of the Old World Blues expansion [http://nerdpuddle.com/null-speech-at-the-end-of-the-world/], but even if not, I relish a chance to drop that jerk from half a klick out with a single .308 round to the brainpan.

[gallery=483]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Earnest, you might want to search and replace the word "Bethesda" with "Obsidian". I'm pretty sure Bethesda just does QA for New Vegas, but Obsidian creates all the content.

That said, I'm stoked for this. My hype meter for meeting Ulysses went to 11 when I found that one cave in Old World Blues. It gave me goosebumps. Old World Blues was all around fantastic (probably just behind Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker as my favorite downladable content). It'll be tough to live up to that, and they've set the bar really high for this encounter.

Apr 28, 2008
Bethesda didn't foreshadow anything, it was all Obsidian. Bethesda just makes the press releases. And tests the stuff. The latter of which they've had trouble with since Morrowind...

Anyway, this looks cool as hell. Definitely looking forward to it, and I love how the DLC for New Vegas expands upon things from the Mojave.

Odegauger

Apr 7, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Bethesda has done an excellent job foreshadowing this imminent confrontation
it was developed by Obsidian

how are people still getting this wrong

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I played new vegas on a friend's laptop. Like every Bethesda game after Daggerfall it was a great engine that needed community mods to make it fun, balanced and playable, but it wasn't a great "game".

In my opinion the best way to play Bethesda games is wait for the final DLC to be released and then the total overhaul mods to come out that incorporate the content of the DLC into the rest of the world. Then you play a "test" character for a few hours, then hit New Vegas nexus to download the mods you need to make the game actually work.

THEN you reroll to the character that you play through the game with.

Its a lot of work just to play a game but it is worth it to get the best gameplay experience.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Damn... I've only just finished OWB and have 2 other DLCs to finish! I'd better catch up!
Edit: Wasn't the fourth DLC supposed to be Gun Runners Armory or something? I remember having unacquirable achievements for that on steam...

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Odegauger said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

You guys act like it somehow isn't my job to know things like that.

Yes, Obsidian developed New Vegas et al., granted, but as Bethesda is the publisher and owner of the IP, they get the plaudits. I'm sorry if that offends you somehow, but that's how things work.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I've been looking forward to this all summer. So far, I've loved every single piece of DLC content that has came out for New Vegas, so I'm hoping Lonesome Road is as epic as they're building it up to be.

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Odegauger said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

Yes, Obsidian developed New Vegas et al., granted, but as Bethesda is the publisher and owner of the IP, they get the plaudits. I'm sorry if that offends you somehow, but that's how things work.
That makes about as much sense as giving HarperCollins the credit for A Song of Ice and Fire...

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Turing said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Odegauger said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

That makes about as much sense as giving HarperCollins the credit for A Song of Ice and Fire...
Sigh. This is heading toward "endless, repetitive internet argument" territory, so I'm just going to bail out now. You guys wanna be upset by semantics? Knock yourselves out. I'll be eating a cupcake while you're raging at the screen.

Sannom

Mar 26, 2011
No mention of Obsidian in the article. At all. What the f**k? That's very poor news making, whoever that news guy is! Sure Bethesda does a great job as the publisher, but come on, would you really forget to mention ID Software in a piece about Rage? Seriously?

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Turing said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Odegauger said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

Sigh. This is heading toward "endless, repetitive internet argument" territory, so I'm just going to bail out now. You guys wanna be upset by semantics? Knock yourselves out. I'll be eating a cupcake while you're raging at the screen.
We aren't raging. We just want an explanation as to why Bethesda is credited, while Obsidian is not. And the latter do all the work.

Kennian

Apr 20, 2009
funny thing is, it wasnt nuclear war that destroyed the divide, it was a Big Mountain weather experiment...