Vergil, Iron Fist Join The Fight In Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Vergil, Iron Fist Join The Fight In Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

One's an unexpectedly Caucasian kung-fu master, the other is a half-demon with an inexplicably misspelled name. Both have joined the roster for Capcom's latest fighter.

For the purposes of this post, I'm going to assume you're all aware of Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3. It's an update for Marvel Vs Capcom 3 that hits the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PS Vita later this year, with a reduced $40 price tag. If you've been paying attention to our past coverage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111770-Ultimate-Marvel-Vs-Capcom-3-Info-Blowout], you'd already know all of this.

Likewise, if you've been religiously checking up on our UMvC3 coverage, you would know that it is Capcom's wont to unveil two new characters at a time -- one Marvel and one Capcom -- alongside a massive media blitz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112335-Dr-Strange-Meets-Nemesis-In-New-Ultimate-Marvel-Vs-Capcom-3-Screens]. Today is no exception, and the publisher has dropped a handful of screenshots and a brand new trailer to herald the arrival of Devil May Cry's Vergil and Marvel Comics' Iron Fist.

You may recall Vergil as Dante's brother. He's half-demon as well, but, unlike his little bro, he tends to shun his human side. If you guessed that this makes him a bit of a jerk, you are correct.

Also, no, I have no idea why his name has an "e" in it.

Iron Fist, on the other hand, is a good guy, assuming you can afford his help. See, Iron Fist (aka Danny Rand), is one half of the "Heroes For Hire," a team defined by its 70s-era exploitation roots. To wit, the other half of Heroes for Hire is a bulletproof black man who once pimp-slapped Dr. Doom and asked, "Where's my money, honey?" [http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/08/07/i-love-ya-but-youre-strange-wheres-my-money-honey/]

In recent years however, Rand has appeared in books that were genuinely great, like Matt Fraction's brilliant, moody run on Immortal Iron Fist [http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Iron-Fist-Omnibus/dp/0785138196].

While I fully support the addition of Iron Fist -- the dude is a kung-fu fighter by trade, how was he not already in the UMvC3 cast? -- I'm not entirely sure why Capcom tapped Vergil.

Granted, that inexplicable vowel is still screwing with my head, but even putting that aside, I fail to see what Vergil can bring to the game that isn't already represented by existing characters. Maybe my Devil May Cry lore is a bit rusty, but Vergil isn't all that unique from his brother Dante, and given the vast character vault Capcom has created over the years, it just seems cruel to implement Vergil over that little blue robot everyone seems to love so much.

You know who I'm talking about. That's right: SVA-6L Reptos [http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/capcom/armwar_reptos.html]. C'mon Capcom! Make it happen!

[gallery=484]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I like it.
Vergil has a pretty cool moveset with movers mixed from Dante.
He really does remind me of Karas though, maybe his button commands will be the same.

As for Iron Fist.
Awesome.
Cool and useful HCs with good buffs and nice combo options.
Just his style reminds me of Hurricane Polymer as well.
And i like it.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
Dante used to be my favorite fighter, but it looks like Vergil is now. "Why?" you might ask. One word: katana.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.312863-Ultimate-Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-Vergil-and-Iron-Fist-Revealed-Gameplay-Inside#12676645

[hr]

I was already on top of this earlier this morning. Nevertheless, that new trailer is sweet. The more I see of this game, the more I want it. Seriously. I already have the game preordered and paid in full. All I need to do is pick it up on release day.

Day 1 purchase. I promise you that.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
I really thought I'd be turned around once I saw some Vergil gameplay (now that you mention it, that 'e' is out of place). But not even the inclusion of my favourite DMC character can make me interested in buying this game. Through no fault of it's own, the trailer looks sweet. There's just too much good stuff coming out at the end of the year to justify spending full price on this game.

Definately a bargain bin purchase though.

EDT: What litle blue robot are we talking about here? Forgive my ignorance but that last comment confused me.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Vergil looks a little too much like Dante to me, despite only seeing a couple of videos.
Not that I'm biased because I don't really like Dante. *cough*.

Iron Fist looks pretty cool. Not someone I'll probably play as, his hand-chi-stance-changing-thingy looks too complicated, but still looks nifty. I'll just sit back and see what everyone else manages to pull off with him.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Well if I where to actually get this game, and that would only happen if I get a new xbox, I know what my team would be. The entire avalable cast of Devil May Cry. Can you tell I'm a fan? :p

GreenSparks

Aug 26, 2010
Where the hell is Megaman you bastards. You put Zero in, so you can't say you're not shooting the money.

Fogold

Jan 18, 2010
gallaetha_matt said:
EDT: What litle blue robot are we talking about here? Forgive my ignorance but that last comment confused me.
Megaman. Don't worry, I forget he's a robot too sometimes. He seems to have skin.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Fogold said:
gallaetha_matt said:
Megaman. Don't worry, I forget he's a robot too sometimes. He seems to have skin.
Megawho?

I wasn't making a joke. I wanna see some effin' Reptos love up in this mother.

Dec 14, 2009
Vergil is only really in it because he's a fan wank favourite (you know the "oooo, lone wolf with attitude and a katana" kind).

I'm just glad Wesker got nerfed to hell and back. It's no coincidence that every character with a telport ability is high tier.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
The only thing I hope from Virgil is that his combos are quick, damaging and to the point. None of these "it'll take like 45 seconds to do this entire combo, there is no way out, and it'll only do about 1/3 a life bar when someone else can do twice that in half the time" combos his brother has. And he doesn't have an equivalent to Dante's electric-guitar wall spam of cheapness. Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Dante in MvC3...

In regards to Iron Fist: his attacks look pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to seeing a longer gameplay trailer to show what he can do. Glad they put him in. I always liked him in the comics.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Fogold said:
gallaetha_matt said:
Of course! Thanks. I thought he was already a character in it (I haven't played the original Marvel vs Capcom 3 so I wasn't sure). That and I forgot he was meant to be a robot too. Like I said as I politely excused myself from that cannibal banquet I attended recently, the skin put me off.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Fogold said:
gallaetha_matt said:
Megawho?

I wasn't making a joke. I wanna see some effin' Reptos love up in this mother.
I don't know who this is either, I suck. I just imagined a combination of Reptar and Mentos, which sounds like a delicious killing machine.