Sony "Considering" a UMD Conversion Program For the Vita

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Sony "Considering" a UMD Conversion Program For the Vita

Don't chuck out all your UMDs just yet, Sony is considering a program that will offer you downloadable versions of your PSP library.

So you've bought one of those fancy new PlayStation Vitas [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113017-Santa-Claus-Bringing-PS-Vita-to-Stores-in-December] in a desperate bid to stave off the terrifying hollowness that seems to permeate every corner of your being, but what's going to happen to your collection of PSP games? Are they destined to become the paperweights and amusing novelty routers of tomorrow? [http://www.instructables.com/id/NES-Cartridge-Wireless-Router/] Not quite yet, apparently.

Sony has confirmed that their new handheld will be backwards compatible, with around 500-600 titles from the PSP's library working flawlessly on the new hardware. There's one tiny problem. While the Vita is a testament to technical excess, sporting a fancy OLED screen, two cameras and slightly more touch sensitive part than seems decent, it doesn't have a UMD drive. Panic not! According to Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-psp-on-vita-500-titles-umd-program-possible-211357.phtml], Sony is "considering" a plan to provide downloadable replacements for your UMD based games.

Sony did promise a similar program for their poorly received PSP redesign, the PSP Go, and never came up with the goods, leaving PSP Go owners to hoot angrily and smash UMDs against the screen of their new handheld in a desperate bid to make it run Patapon. Strangely enough, the PSP Go did not sell very well.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-psp-on-vita-500-titles-umd-program-possible-211357.phtml]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I hope they come through this time, unlike with the GO, I was perfectly happy with my PSP GO until it became apparent I would never be able to play birth by sleep on it and that is why I sold it and got a PSP 3000.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
It will be a smart move by Sony. And we all know Sony needs smart moves in the handheld department. I will be very glad to use my 10 UMDs in the Vita.

Learn with past mistakes, Sony. We want to give you money, don't disappoint.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
StrixMaxima said:
Learn with past mistakes, Sony. We want to give you money, don't disappoint.
Good luck with that one.

My bet is that Sony will "consider" it. And continue to "consider" it. And keep "considering" it. Eventually (like 4 years from now) they'll announce that they can't do shit about it because they have to get too much legal crap past too many publishers.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
......I'll just hold onto my PSP. I can't trust Sony to provide digital versions of all of my games.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I could play my UMD's on my PSP, you know the Vita isn't going to make it disappear. Besides, digital copies of all my games (Which is only like 10) would fill up the hypothetical memory card. Speaking of which do we know what kind of memory the Vita is using and how much they'll cost and store? As soon as I get a job I'm hoping to save up to get a Wi-Fi Vita, a good memory card, a couple of launch games, and some PSN cash. I'd like to know how much I need to save...

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
The control stick on my PSP is broken and I want to play Valkaria Chronicles 2 again, make it happen sony and I will be pleased. Also don't region lock so I can play some from of the third game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
if they did this then I would eventually get one since I dont trust my psp to keep working

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I'm all for it, even though my PSP collection is very lacking at the moment.

I've been meaning to pick up Persona 3 Portable in stores but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't want to be charged $40 dollars for a digital download.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Please Sony, make it happen. I have over 80 UMD games (because fuck digital,save for PSN exclusives and my second copy of Duodecim), I'd like to be able to play them on the Vita if ever I am in the mood to play them without having to carry two systems. Of course my PSP won't just vanish the second I get a Vita, but it's nice to have the option.

Still gonna hold onto my PSPof course and use it if this doesn't come into fruition. After all, the primary reason for my to buy a Vita is to play VITA GAMES.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really hope this happens, I really do since I have a lot of UMDs. Yet, I don't see myself getting rid of my PSP just because the Vita can do this, possibly. Besides, my PSP has been a trooper and I want to keep it around just in case this doesn't happen and I can keep playing UMD games.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Please, Please happen, I only RECENTLY adopted the PSP and I would really like to bring the games over.
drisky said:
The control stick on my PSP is broken and I want to play Valkaria Chronicles 2 again, make it happen sony and I will be pleased. Also don't region lock so I can play some from of the third game.
I heard it was Region-Free, then again I heard that someone was in talks to bring it over (then gaain I heard that last one from an 'Insider' so hey who the fuck knows? am I right?)

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
This will come in handy for playing all 3 of my PSP games if I cannot resist getting Persona 4: Golden Ultimate Extreme Fanboy Edition, and the necessary PS Vita on which to play it.

Jimi Bove

Jan 29, 2011
I get slightly annoyed when companies release BARELY-upgraded versions of their handhelds for the next handheld generation and expect previous generation owners to buy it. I never looked twice at the PSP Go, or the DS Lite, or the DSi. And I know the 3DS has much higher-end hardware, but I'm having trouble caring about it, too.