Battlefield Cost Publisher "Tens Of Thousands"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Battlefield Cost Publisher "Tens Of Thousands"

Surprisingly, EA gets rather testy about other companies using the word "Battlefield" in their game titles.

UK Publisher Slitherine has learned a rather painful lesson: When you're putting out a game, be sure that its title doesn't sound too much like a major game that's published by an equally major company. For Slitherine, its Battlefield Academy title caused the publisher a ton of legal problems that resulted in some major financial losses, unsurprisingly because Electronic Arts felt that the game's name was way too similar to its Battlefield franchise.

Slitherine originally got involved with the game after it secured a licensing deal with the BBC History department. Battlefield Academy was a casual strategy game that was based on a flash game. It turned out to be a pretty reasonable hit, which is when all the problems began.

According to Marco Minoli, Sliterine's marketing director:

"It was a big success for us, it was an approachable war game that found an audience outside of our niche gaming fans. We were just about to announce the first add-on when we received a letter from EA's lawyers and at first we laughed.

"We were caught in the middle because it was a BBC brand. They've been really helpful but the BBC wasn't prepared to start at fight with EA for a minor wargame. But we couldn't change the name because it was a licence we acquired."

Because EA claimed the game was infringing on its copyright, Slitherine had to put expansions and console ports of the title on hold. The PSP version was already in submission to Sony, but the legal issues put it on indefinite hold and now the publisher is trying to port it to the Vita instead.

"We decided that for purely financial reasons it was best to reach an accommodation with EA," said Marko. "It caused a lot of problems and has been difficult, we had to rebrand the game entirely. It cost us tens of thousands of dollars and we lost a big commercial opportunity."

The game has now been re-named BBC Battle Academy and Slitherine is trying to recapture the momentum it had before the franchise was frozen. It's a shame that the company lost out on such a potential hit, but it also seems like someone should've at least considered the possibility that the name might rile some feathers over at Electronic Arts ...

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-14-slitherine-loses-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-in-ea-battlefield-dispute>GamesIndustry.biz

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
EA: Proving we can match the sleeziness of ANY other douchebag, even Tim Langdell

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
This is absurd. Maybe they (EA/Activision/Bohemia :p) should start suing each other for make games with similar themes.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
therandombear said:
Jandau said:
EA: Proving we can match the sleeziness of ANY other douchebag, even Tim Langdell
Now too see if Bethesda follows up with the "Scrolls" lawsuit aswell ;)
Apparently they are going forward with it.
Shame, I was looking forward to Elder Scrolls Skyrim-job.
Far enough though, because of the joke/example I used. People are bound to call their games something similar to another game that sells well, to confuse our granmas at gamestop.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Taking the Bethesda approach, eh? Why not. I guess you don't become a mega powerful company by smiling at people.
I believe EA - and Bethesda in the Scrolls case - actually have little say in whether they contest the name or not. If they don't contest it then I believe it legally weakens the brand and leaves it open to contention.

I'm not a law expert by any means, but that explanation came up quite frequently in discussion of the Bethesda case. It's not EA being dicks, it's EA protecting and securing their copyrights/trademarks.

Feb 13, 2008
But we couldn't change the name because it was a licence we acquired."
...If the licence has already been acquired, how can EA sue? They should have blocked the licence at that point not after it had become successful unless...

Oh...they're douchebags that wanted in on it. Gotcha.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I think EA should stop whining. Gamers are very involved with their interest and because of this, aren't going to be confused by "Title Similarity".

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
But we couldn't change the name because it was a licence we acquired."
...If the licence has already been acquired, how can EA sue? They should have blocked the licence at that point not after it had become successful unless...

Oh...they're douchebags that wanted in on it. Gotcha.

Of course they should have been invited by BBC worldwide to the negations they had with 3rd party. In fact EA should be allowed to sit in on all negations between companies just in case the licence might infringe one of EAs IPs. Or they could be like every other company in world and have to react to when its copyright is being infringed.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I hope it was more of a case that EA asked them to change the name of the game and they didn't rather than waiting until the game made a decent amount of money before unleashing the hounds to get more money.

I figured they had learned the whole "shoot first, ask questions later" shit makes everyone hate you. I suppose I'll have to wait until more evidence comes to light.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Battlefield is a slightly more specific word than Edge was, but this still feels like lawyers sueing because they can. It's not even the same type of game, and 'Battlefield' is not that uncommon a term that EA should have exclusive rights to using it in any work of fiction (Though if they can prevent Battlefield Earth from being shown or sold, that'd be a plus.)

What I'm curious about is why these kind of lawsuits are apparently very dangerous to the BBC, but the Asylum still hasn't been sued out of existence for movies such as Transmorphers and Battle of Los Angeles, which are direct rip-offs in title and content, and are actually designed to confuse customers into buying them hoping they get the big-budget production. I don't see anyone looking to buy Battlefield 3 to pick up an RTS flash game by mistake.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
While I'm usually in favor for the small company, you have to admit "Battlefield Academy" REALLY sounds like something that could have to do with DICE's Battlefield-series.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
The creator of Star Trek could totally sue George Lucas.......

Wait a sec. Or a few seconds... just a few more....... Now is it just me or does this only happen in this medium?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
My question is, what happens when every single word get's used in any major titles, do you have to splice words together? A game of BattleWarfare 8 anyone?

[sub]Actually I might TM that soon[/sub]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Vakz said:
While I'm usually in favor for the small company, you have to admit "Battlefield Academy" REALLY sounds like something that could have to do with DICE's Battlefield-series.
`

I could seriously disagree with this sentiment. BattleField Academy sounds like a training compound, not the sort of thing DICE would put in their franchise really.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
coldalarm said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Taking the Bethesda approach, eh? Why not. I guess you don't become a mega powerful company by smiling at people.
I believe EA - and Bethesda in the Scrolls case - actually have little say in whether they contest the name or not. If they don't contest it then I believe it legally weakens the brand and leaves it open to contention.

I'm not a law expert by any means, but that explanation came up quite frequently in discussion of the Bethesda case. It's not EA being dicks, it's EA protecting and securing their copyrights/trademarks.
You're spot on here. The practice of not defending a copyright until it is profitable to do so isn't allowed. Basically if you have an IP and intend to hold it then you need to hold it through and through, not wait for it to be fiscally a big deal and then keep people from encroaching.