Instant Gratification

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Instant Gratification

A film doesn't have to be a summer blockbuster or an Oscar-winner to be worth watching.

Read Full Article

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
"Streets of Fire" was an absolute favourite for a while when I was 12-14 years old, I had that on VHS, taped from tv.

And "the Final Countdown" is one of the films i always try to watch when it's shown on TV again. I should probably try to find some of the others as well.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fire & Ice is the perfect example of animated violence working better than live-action violence.

Watching axe fights with no sense of actor retraint is a joy.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Ser Imp said:
Wait WHAT!?
Uwe Boll made a GOOD film?
My thoughts exactly. Who knows, maybe this bodes well (though his past record means that nobody will buy anything he makes anymore, even if it turns out to be a classic for the ages).

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Ser Imp said:
Wait WHAT!?
Uwe Boll made a GOOD film?
No he made a fucking great movie. I saw it a couple of times several months ago and I still can't get my head around the fact the master of error made something that is not only well done in every technical aspect, but is also just flat out really really damn good. Amazingly reality didn't collapse in on itself.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I'll add my own 2-bits to the list.

Dragon Hunters, both the movie and the show, is available on instant view. They are very pretty and genuinely funny. The movie is CGI and the cartoon is flat animation and both are set in a really well done medieval world which is made up of floating islands. The plots are mostly just inoffensive, but the characters are really fun. If you like cartoons you should give it a shot. Try the movie first and if that suites you start into the show.

The only real problem is that they got different voice actors for the second season (the show is redubbed from the original french) and they replaced two good voice actors with what I can only assume are a couple of guys that wandered into the booth at the wrong time. It makes the second season unwatchable.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Chocolate has long been a guilty pleasure of mine. The setup is so tasteless, but the action is SO GOOD.

-m

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Hole crap I've just remembered that I've actually SEEN Uncle Sam.
The first time I saw the trailer for Rampage, it took me at least an hour to process the insanity I was watching.

All these movies sound like they should get a Rifftrax treatment

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
there a really funny spoof movie that should be on this list that i saw back in high school (5-6 years ago) i forgot what its called so i cant find it on you-tube but it was a somewhat modern movie made in black and white to make fun of alien invasion movies...it had a skeleton that was literally i Halloween prop on string and it was pretty self aware.

2nd Edit: FOUND IT

its called the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

that would make a great addition to Bobs list

.."Betty you know what this meteor can mean for SCIENCE. It could mean actual advances in the field of SCIENCE."

vid87

May 17, 2010
I've only heard about this, I've never seen any of them - Interesting thing about Dollman is that the character was shoe-horned into another movie which was actually a cross-over of THREE unrelated titles: DollMan, The Demonic Toys, and Bad Channels, called "Dollman vs. The Demonic Toys." Its the Avengers of B-Horror!

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
You recommended They Live, one of Carpenter's best films. That is commendable. Very commendable.
Same goes for The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.
You should write articles like this more often. Far more often.
And you should be awarded with atleast three cookies.

And it finally gave me an excuse to actually watch Rampage that's been simply waiting for me to click on the play button for nearly(or over) a year now.
And funny you should mention Mad Men today, when I actually started watching it... in fact I took a break from it just to watch your today's review and read this article. Amusing.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
This is weird. I was just looking for Streets of Fire a few weeks ago on Netflix and it showed up as not available. Now I finally get to see if it still lives up to my memories.

TripleDaddy

Mar 17, 2010
Dear God in heaven. I'm old enough to have seen Streets of Fire, They Live, and Buckaroo Banzai in the theater. And I still quote from Buckaroo...

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Chocolate has long been a guilty pleasure of mine. The setup is so tasteless, but the action is SO GOOD.
Pretty close to what I was going to say. I don't know if I'd go quite as far as tasteless, because it's actually less bad than many portrayals of autistic kids (aside from the stereotypical "savant" thing, which is extremely rare in reality), and they did manage to put in some details for the way her character acts/moves and her personality traits that I haven't seen too often that were appropriate, even if they could've done better. The plot/story itself, on the other hand, is typically schlocky martial arts action movie stuff, with the added bonus of the type of uniquely Thai quirks that not everyone may be familiar with if they haven't watched much else from there, like the obligatory ladyboy hit squad.

The action really is SO GOOD, though. It takes a little while for the movie to really pick up momentum, and the earliest fight aren't quite as spectacular as later on (for legitimate story reasons), but once it gets going, it doesn't let up. The fight choreography is absolutely brilliant at times, and if you stick around through the credits, you can see that they filmed it all live at full speed without stuntmen (and took some brutal hits to the face and elsewhere when they screwed up). I can't help watching it again every few months.

Jeeja herself is pretty amazing, too. There's just something fun about watching this tiny, little girl channeling Bruce Lee and unleashing the fury on a room full of grown men. Zen (her character in Chocolate) would give River Tam a run for her money. Unfortunately, her second movie, Raging Phoenix, was an absolute disaster. The plot is an unintelligible supernatural clusterfuck, and the fight scenes are nowhere near as interesting to watch and don't take advantage of her skills. She does supposedly have four more movies that she's working on that are coming out this year, though, some of which may even already be out, including a sequel to Chocolate, so maybe there's still hope.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Huh, I'll have to check out Fire & Ice. I remember it being reviewed in an old Dragon magazine, and the critic commented that he had high hopes but people should just pick up a book of Frazetta paintings: they have been graphics and better dialogue. :)

I loved They Live, glad to see it make this this.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Wait... I'd heard people making fun of They Live before (all in good taste, of course)... but none of them told me the movie involved Roddy Piper taking on Goliath. Seriously?

I will add, as long as Ralph Bakshi and cartoon self-parody are involved, (not seen Fire and Ice but I have seen Wizards, which sounds like it's pretty similar in concept) I would recommend anyone who's heard the bad press about the animated Lord of the Rings to check it out - it truly is one of the great party movies. It's not as bad as you've heard. It's worse. Watch it as a comedy and it might be the best laugh you get all year. My wife and I were (literally!) on the floor laughing before we even got past the DVD menu. (Didn't know Gandalf was compensating so much.)

rayen020

May 20, 2009
if i may suggest my own two, there's a french film called district B13 which is what i would call the movie version of arkham city. if you like parkour and well choreographed action it's worth checking this movie out. yeah you have to read subtitles but unlike anime nobody talks while the onscreen candy is running.*

the second is a documentry called "this film is not yet rated", i would suggest all aspiring film critics, director, makers watch this movie. It's basically a no holds barred attack against the MPAA, but through out the course of the movie you learn that the MPAA deserves this attakc and is pretty corrupt, although that what the film wants you to think and therefore deserves a grain of salt or two while watching.

*awww sad day, i just looked it up and its now DVD only. i hate when netflix does this.

OT; i saw killer klowns from outer space at 1am on UPN back when UPN was still a channel. It was hilirious. the only thing that could have made it better was this;

iamjonah

Feb 19, 2010
Hey! I liked Postal (not a great film, but it definitely had many hilarious moments).