Dead Island DLC is On Hold While Devs Hunt Bugs

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Dead Island DLC is On Hold While Devs Hunt Bugs

The expansions for Dead Island may be delayed, but in the meantime, at least you'll be battling zombies instead of bugs.

Deep Silver has plans to expand the world of tropical zombie-fest Dead Island [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Island-Xbox-360/dp/B004PAGJOC], but not until it's cleaned up the initial product. The team has already released patches for the PC and Xbox 360 versions of the game, and are hard at work on a patch for the PS3 version right now. However, until all three versions are fairly stable and bug-free, don't expect to see any DLC for the game.

"Right now the Dead Island development team's priority is working on fixes and updates across all," said a company spokesman. "There is some awesome DLC content planned for Dead Island, but first we have to put all our focus on the base game experience." The patches aim primarily to fix multiplayer connections and problems with autosave.

The Escapist reviewed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9114-Dead-Island-Review] Dead Island when it came out and pointed out a few bugs, although they did not kill the overall experience. Dead Island fans can enjoy a cleaner, post-patch game right now if they download the patch for the PC or 360 version, while poor PS3-owners will have to wait. Deep Silver said that a Sony-approved patch for Dead Island will be ready "as soon as possible."

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5840562/dead-island-devs-push-back-dlc-refocus-energy-on-bug-squashing]

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
To be honest, I never really noticed any bugs... And I played the game on the 360 since September 6th.
But seeing how other people are complaining, I guess it does need some patches.

Can't wait for Ryder White's campaign, though.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I haven't noticed any bugs on PS3, but I don't think any amount of DLC will save this game for me.

It's boring as hell, it's way too repetitive, and there's no real feeling of accomplishment. It's just go here, do this, come back, get new thing/money, go somewhere else and do other thing, then come back. Boring.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Although I haven't encountered any bugs yet, on the xbox 360, I think it is great that they are trying to polish the initial game, instead of diving straight into DLC.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Yeah It has/had a few bugs like when I lost a whole play session one night becuase you can't manually save it and when I stopped it didn't seem to have any issues and this was hours later after starting that portion. Also one case of transferring zone to Moresby and be stranded in the middle of the map without quest markers(which others have mentioned)which is fixable by joining someone elses game though it happened to us while in a group.Though PSN already got updated to 1.01 and I havn't noticed issues with the above much or anything else I'd call a "bad" bug.

-Samurai- said:
I haven't noticed any bugs on PS3, but I don't think any amount of DLC will save this game for me.

It's boring as hell, it's way too repetitive, and there's no real feeling of accomplishment. It's just go here, do this, come back, get new thing/money, go somewhere else and do other thing, then come back. Boring.
Just like any other game? Mainly RPGs MMOs and Sandbox Games above all other types?

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Why is it not the norm that developers put DLC on hold until bugs are fixed? This shouldn't be news, but sadly it is...

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I've noticed a few bugs on the PS3 version, but only small pop-in textures, the odd sound cuts here and there...nothing major or game-crashing. In fact, this is one of the most immersive games I've played in a long time, irrelevant of issues.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I can honestly say I never really noticed any bugs. I was too busy hacking the walking dead up to be bug spotting though.

However it's nice to hear people taking some pride in their game and fixing bugs before going for the DLC.

As Braeden said, this should be the norm but sadly isn't so it is good to see.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Most of the bugs were on the PC version, which wasn't even the right version to begin with, and then multiplox got completly broken. Then they fixed it and I got a character deleting bug. As in I would play with Grey, log off, reboot the game the next day AND THE CHAR WAS GONE.

I did some tinkering, maybe we'll get together and try FOR A THIRD TIME to co-op the game.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Lucane said:
-Samurai- said:

Just like any other game? Mainly RGPs MMOs and Sandbox Games above all other types?
No. Most other games are pretty good about keeping things interesting by mixing things up a bit.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
On the ps3 the only bug i've encountered thus far (Knock on wood!) was a minor side quest the game wouldn't let me turn in. The guy would take the item he wanted then it would start the quest over. No, it wasn't an 'ongoing' quest.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
I encountered one bug twice. When you mod an item the game removes the original and spawns the new modded item. For me it deleted the weapon but never created the mod, I'm now out money, parts, and a good stick. Also everyone has encountered a bug, kicking was meant to use stamina (Word of God from the dead island forum). The big glitch is online co-op which randomly resets, usually for a loss of 2 to 8 hours of gameplay.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Braedan said:
Why is it not the norm that developers put DLC on hold until bugs are fixed? This shouldn't be news, but sadly it is...
Ain't that the truth. Well, the obvious explanation is that patches are free while DLC generates profit.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
JediMB said:
Braedan said:
Ain't that the truth. Well, the obvious explanation is that patches are free while DLC generates profit.
I know that's the simplest reason... but in my mind at least, if a game is buggy as hell I'm sure not going to pay for more of the same.

Oh well, sigh.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
That's cool, I guess. Personally, I think the game should be put on hold while they hunt down (the worst of) the bugs, but that's just me. I'm not being paid, so why should I have to beta-test your game for you?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yup, add another vote of confidence in them, nowadays games are just too damn big a project to guarantee zero bugs, but at least they have their house in order and their priorities straight - customers come first, make sure they've got a working product before trying to squeeze the next ten bucks from them.

As above, it is just a terrible shame and a bad sign for the industry that this is news, this should be standard operating procedure for any game.